Percentage for Good Mornings

My current 1RM in Deadlift is 435. (Move the decimal one place left and you get my age.) I want to incorporate GM’s into my routine and was looking for a percentage and rep scheme that would be beneficial. For instance, at 435, you should be able to do GM’s for 5x5 at 150 lbs. Something like that. Any ideas are appreciated.

While I’m just a bit older than you, I’ve recently passed the 400lb deadlift. I’ve don’t typically do a 5x5 with GMs but I’d probably say you could go higher than 150. I usually do sets of 2-3 reps with GMs and go as high as 275 right now. Hope that helped…oh, watch your form! Good way to mess up your lower back if ya do 'em wrong.

Does that mean that your deadlift 1RM increases by 10lbs each year? :wink:

For me, I prefer a little lower weight and 5-8 reps. The risks begin to outweigh the benefits at the higher weights.–(my opinion)

There is no ‘given’ percentage to work from. Just start and learn on the fly.

It also depends on where you put them in your workout. Judge each workout accordingly once you get a baseline.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Does that mean that your deadlift 1RM increases by 10lbs each year? ;-)[/quote]

I hope to do better. :slight_smile:

I prefer going heavier on these while still being able to maintain strict form…I usually do them after a squat workout, 5x3 usually, I work my way up to 315…

[quote]OneDay wrote:
I prefer going heavier on these while still being able to maintain strict form…I usually do them after a squat workout, 5x3 usually, I work my way up to 315… [/quote]

What percentage of your Squat and DL max’s would that represent?

I would expect you to be in the neighborhood of at least 225 for five reps with that 1RM deadlift and even higher if you are have a short-torso.

Little frame of reference:

I have a crazy strong lower back relative to the rest of me. Last night, I did a 501x1 chain suspended buffalo bar good morning from just above parallel. My competition deadlift PR is 568; I’m probably good for 580-590 by now.

[quote]btm62 wrote:
My current 1RM in Deadlift is 435. (Move the decimal one place left and you get my age.) I want to incorporate GM’s into my routine and was looking for a percentage and rep scheme that would be beneficial. For instance, at 435, you should be able to do GM’s for 5x5 at 150 lbs. Something like that. Any ideas are appreciated.[/quote]

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
I would expect you to be in the neighborhood of at least 225 for five reps with that 1RM deadlift and even higher if you are have a short-torso.

Little frame of reference:

I have a crazy strong lower back relative to the rest of me. Last night, I did a 501x1 chain suspended buffalo bar good morning from just above parallel. My competition deadlift PR is 568; I’m probably good for 580-590 by now.

btm62 wrote:
My current 1RM in Deadlift is 435. (Move the decimal one place left and you get my age.) I want to incorporate GM’s into my routine and was looking for a percentage and rep scheme that would be beneficial. For instance, at 435, you should be able to do GM’s for 5x5 at 150 lbs. Something like that. Any ideas are appreciated.

[/quote]

Thanks Eric! thats exactly what i was looking for. One more quick shot. How many sets?