T Nation

Percent of Bodyweight for Lifts?

My question is what percent of your body weight should your Bench, Squat and Dead be?

At 170 lbs mine are as follows:
Squat- 315 x1 rep (parellel to femur not top of knee)- 1.9xbody weight
Dead- 395(with wraps) x3- 2.32xbw
Bench- 185 x2 (weeeaaaak)-1.08xbw

Obviously bench is well below but I’d prefer that to the other 2.

I’m not quite a beginner anymore(i hope) but figured this question would be more forgivingly answered here. There may be an article on here somehwere about this but I can’t be sure.

There is no “right” BW proportion of those lifts. The ultimate goal is to lift as much as you can.

I’ve read 2.0 for squat, 2.5 dead and 1.5 for bench. (to be considered “strong”)

2274 is right though.

[quote]MementoMori wrote:
My question is what percent of your body weight should your Bench, Squat and Dead be?

At 170 lbs mine are as follows:
Squat- 315 x1 rep (parellel to femur not top of knee)- 1.9xbody weight
Dead- 395(with wraps) x3- 2.32xbw
Bench- 185 x2 (weeeaaaak)-1.08xbw
[/quote]

Work on getting your squats deeper. If your hip joint wasn’t parallel to the top of your knee, then you didn’t actually squat 315 (or at least it wouldn’t be considered a “good lift”).

[quote]
Obviously bench is well below but I’d prefer that to the other 2.

I’m not quite a beginner anymore(i hope) but figured this question would be more forgivingly answered here. There may be an article on here somehwere about this but I can’t be sure.[/quote]

There has been at least 1 article here about strength standards. Do a search for it and you should find it. I’d do it for you and post a link, but the search function is acting up. It’ll also do you some good to learn how to use the search.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

[quote]Petrichor wrote:
http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

[/quote]

Good find Petrichor, Thanks.

simple formula really

(current weight lifted)+(more)=(what you should lift)

Its science.

Hahahaha good call. I was just looking for a general accepted standard for a given weight. Easy to say lift more but I doubt I’ll be squatting 5 plates at 170. Looks like my dead and squat are near on pace(although yea should work on getting squat a bit deeper), like I thought bench isnt even close.

So intermediate-advanced for Squat and Dead. Intermediate for Bench. Novice for clean and intermediate for press.

Thats a solid website I like it, thanks alot.

Easy to say lift more but I doubt I’ll be squatting 5 plates at 170.
[/quote]

That attitude is a guarantee that you will never squat 5 plates.

I doubt I’ll be squatting 5 plates at 170.
[/quote]

I can only assume it’s because you have no desire to right? I don’t squat anything near that right now but there is no way you will catch me placing limits on myself. I guess the question is if you also never plan to weigh over 170, even if that means never getting bigger or stronger.

This is a good article:
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/performance_training/so_you_think_you_know_strong&cr=performanceTraining

I said at 170 I wont squat 5 plates. Tell me the part where I say I wont squat 5 plates? I’ve put like 60 pounds on my squat in the last 2 months I’ll reach 5 plates if I can. Weighing more is not a problem.

I dunno what the norms are, but these are my percentages: 2.78x dead, 2.46x squat atg olympic, 1.77x bench. I think watching a ratio go up is the most fun.

I think percentages is the best way to compare across weights. It makes sense, does it not?

So you would need a 2.91 ratio at 170. Which just sounds friggen huge, right?
The craziest ratios are tiny Oly lifters, doing 3+ times over their head!

^^^

It’s self limiting talk, people are not criticising you, just trying to make you aware of your negative self talk. So slow your Roll buddy. :slight_smile:

By the way, 5 plates is great at 170 but it’s not exactly out of the realm of possibility.

Some times ago I found a cool vid of a guy, who has the highest 5 times body weight squat in the world. I can’t remember the exact states, but he weighed around 200lbs and his squat was therefore above 1000lbs. OK, it was all geared, but I think you get the idea.