Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

1 barbell box jumps
2 x 3 @ 50 kg
3 @ 55 kg
2 x 3 @ 60 kg

2 high bar pause squat
3 x 5 @ 110 kg

3 farmer’s walk

• 5 x 10m @ 110 kg p.h. (no rest, medley style)

4 sandbag carry into sled drag

• 10m @ 100 kg into 10m @ sled +80 kg
  • 10m @ 100 kg into 10m @ sled +130 kg
  • 10m @ 100 kg into 10m @ sled +160 kg
  • 10m @ 100 kg into 10m @ sled +200 kg

5a sl hip thrust
3 x 12

5b unilateral high row cable
3 x 8

Originally had bent over rows and even rdl planned but I need to give my lower back as much recovery aid as I can.

Visited a concert after training. That was fun. Although it felt bad that my friend paid for me.

2 Likes

It seems despite all my adjustments that my body has just stopped trying to recover. DOMS are more of a full body pain right now. Only thing helping is keeping moving.
To allow for more recovery I sadly had to skip the weight vest this week. Instead I did:

1 long walk enjoying the autumn colors

2a neck harness training (extension, retraction)
3 x ? (20 or so)

2b y raises left arm
3 x 20 @ 1,25 kg

3a shrugs /w slow eccentric (left arm)
2 x 10

3b supine 90° external shoulder rotation (left arm)
2 x 12-15 @ 1,25 kg

My left shoulder is lacking capacity that my right shoulder already has. The demand of doing things with external rotation (btn stuff) is high. So this is meant to adress this weakness while also not tapping into fatigue

4 Assault bike
Tabata for 6 intervals

Felt like a productive fitness day at least.

3 Likes

Barely slept at all in episodes of 30 minutes all night. Was dead on Sunday as well.

1 btn split jerk
1 @ 120 kg
5 x 1 @ 130 kg
1 @ 135 kg
1 @ 140 kg - PR for btn
2 x 0 @ 150 kg - 1st was so close on video!!
1 @ 140 kg

Pretty insane session all in all. Just a little more patience.

2 btn push press
2 x 5 @ 115 kg
1 x 4 @ 115 kg

Power was zapped at this point

3 lat pull down
4 x 12 @ stack 14

4a biceps
3 sets

4b rear delts
3 sets

Notes:

• I’m thinking a deload upper body session now and then maybe go for broke on next Monday :thinking:. Or give it two weeks. Not sure yet. I could also do two deload upper body sessions and max out on Thursday next week. But that would be after deadlift day.
  • didn’t do much to grow myself after the jerks. Did the main stuff and was too spend for focused accessories. That’s fine.
3 Likes

Nice work on those overheads mate.

1 Like

I seriously wanted to skip this session until I realized it would be the second to last deadlift session before my comp. Back is tight as shit and body trashed in general. Super duper tired after work today.

1 deadlift (simulated longhorn bar)
3 x 1 @ 220 kg

This was seriously all I could muster and it was hard as shit. Safe to say I failed this shit.

Didn’t dare to load my back further and opted for more recovery instead (with the hope of having a good last session next week).

2 chest supported db row
4 x 8 @ 35 kg

3 leg curls with db between feet
3 x 12 @ 25 kg

Well all I can do is hope for a wonder on comp day(s).

One last good session next week, then a reduced week and then it’s comp week.

2 Likes

1 paused btn split jerk
4 x 2 @ 90 kg

2 overhead medley
Circus dumbbell - keg - axle - log
Ca. 47/48 kg - 87 kg - 80 kg - 95 kg
4 rounds.

First time practicing the medley for comp no.2. the keg is 17 kg over comp weight. So the actual medley should be comfortable and the important thing will be to make no technical errors.

3 wide grip lat pull down
4 x 12

4 bent over y raises
3 x 12 @ 2,5 kg

Deload session.

Here’s the current situation for anyone interested (raw edition):

• I have trouble sleeping. Big time. I go to sleep, fall asleep after a while and wake up an hour later completely wired. Then I fall back to sleep ca. 2 hours before my alarm goes off. The only things that seem to help me sleep are really good sex and alcohol. Below that it’s difficult. Even less ‘satisfying’ intimacy (not only in a physical but also bonding sense) isn’t as helpful.
  • my body has stopped all efforts of recovery seemingly. The damage that is there persists far too long. So that ended up becoming kind of a wandering/ floating pain. Now it has settled to back issues mainly. Just mean tightness, slight pain and so far. All muscular, I’m sure. I’m wondering if there is an underlying infection or something or if it’s the mixture of psychological stress (which is there), bad sleep and training intensity.
  • it’s incredibly hard to walk the fine line of doing enough to do the upcoming comps and at the same time keeping the risks reasonable.
  • I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place to sum shit up.
  • plan for this weekend is to do fuck all besides taking walks and doing everything I can to recover for 2-3 hopefully heavy sessions next week, which will be the final tests for the comps.

Video of oh medley coming later.

5 Likes
5 Likes

I feel a ton o fatigue in my quads… like my legs are led filled. Ad that is despite me not training my quads apart from 3 sets of high bar pause squats atm. I think it’s more of a symptom of the general fatigue problem right now.

1 high bar pause squat (deload)
2 x 3 @ 120 kg
5 @ 120 kg

Tried a new belt position. Uncomfortable as fuck but high potential performance wise (at least seems to negate my tendency to fall forward on high bar squats. Needs to be tested with more weight).

2 yoke walk
4 x 15m @ 225 kg - all in about 6 seconds
2 x 15m @ 305 kg - first set shit, second decent.

3 sandbag carry into sled drag (backwards)
1 @ 100 kg into 230 kg for 10m each
2 @ 100 kg into 270 kg for 10m each

4 off off brand dinnie stone holds :smiley:
1 set with a total of 194 kg

I will do this without a belt. The twisted position + belt made breathing more of a problem than grip.

6 Likes

Finally went to the sauna/ spa again. Had a very nice evening with my mate who own the gym I train at. Few rounds of sauna, whirlpool etc. are bound to solve my problems, right?

2 Likes

1 btn Split jerk
3 @ 70 kg
2 @ 90 kg
1 @ 100 kg
1 @ 110 kg
1 @ 120 kg
1 @ 130 kg
1 @ 140 kg - very strong
1 @ 150kg - PR!

@strongmanvinny2

2 Dips
3 @ 10 kg
2 @ 20 kg
2 @ 25 kg misload
1 @ 32 kg
2 x 1 @ 40 kg - wanted to do at least a double because Max said “I need you to do reps at 40 kg” when we started training together. Which sounded like a joke at the time. But we’re getting there.

3 lat pull down
12 @ stack 12
10 @ 13
8 @ 14
6 @ 15
4 @ 16
2 @ 18

All focused on control and ROM

4a biceps curls (against wall)
3 x 5 @ 47,5 kg
10 @ 47,5 kg (no wall, loose form)

4b lateral raises
3 x 12-15 @ 10 kg dbs
5 rear delt flys
4 x 15 @ 10 kg dbs

Notes:

• to hit 150 kg makes me proud. I think if I stick with this lift for longer and learn the technique better, there is potential for more. But it will be on hold for the rest of the year at least.
  • when I trained with Max he said he needed me to do 40 kg for reps on dips. Not quite there yet but when he said it, it honestly sounded like a joke to me, so this is great progress.
  • I distinctly remember telling my then training partner that I don’t think I would ever hit 140 kg overhead if I stayed natty, back when I hit my first 100 kg oh. How naive and oblivious, haha. 150 kg still feels like a crazy number still.
7 Likes

:open_mouth:

1 Like

There’s so much goodness in that post, my friend! That was nice to read. And congrats on the PR—you made it look easy!

1 Like

Big Lift! Nicely done, 150 looked better than 140. Solid progress on the dips too.

It was nice to see a little smile after those PRs.

1 Like

Thank you people. :slight_smile:

Even if it was a jerk (the internet tells me that’s worse, haha), 150 kg seems like a crazy amount of weight to hoist overhead. I’m looking forward to 155 and especially 160. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome work. Very impressed!

2 Likes

Thanks my friend. Needed to tag you as my provider of overhead motivation throughout the years.

1 Like

1 deadlift (simulated longhorn bar)
up to
1 @ 200 kg
1 @ 220 kg
1 @ 230 kg
2 @ 220 kg

2 18" deadlift
up to
1 @ 220 kg
1 @ 240 kg
1 @ 260 kg
2 @ 240 kg

3 45° back raises
8 @ 20 kg
8 @ 40 kg
8 @ 60 kg
8 @ 80 kg (holding 4 plates)

4 leg curls (dumbbell)
8,10,12 @ 30 kg

Notes:

• I thought long and hard weither to go up or not on my deadlift top set. 230 kg is not at all what I wanted, just as this whole prep wasn’t but I know if I went up, I would have again worked myself to the ground. So I decided to leave it and save some up.
  • similarly, I had a bit more left in the tank on the 18" pull.
2 Likes

Failed the overhead medley 3 times, took the hint and packed my things. Will return tomorrow.
Close to comp, there’s not that much to gain but a lot to lose.

Honestly it’s been a long and hard week and training wise I pressed 150 kg overhead and did the elevated deadlift with 260 kg. I shouldn’t be surprised that my body is longing for some rest.

4 Likes

1 overhead medley
Bar - axle - log - log
80 - 90 - 100 - 110 kg
1 x fail at last log
1 x run successful. But horrible quality.
1 x fail again

Fatigue is kicking like a donkey. I will reduce training to probably 2 or 3 times at most next week for the taper and then go in as fresh as possible.

2 pull ups
2 x 6 reps
1 x 4 reps

3a push ups
4 x 6 @ +25 kg
1 x 12 @ +25 kg

3b pull ups
5 x 2

4 wide grip cable rows
3 x 12

Body is beat up. Next week 2-3 taper session, then 2 deload sessions, then comp no.1

kinda surprised by the push ups.

3 Likes

Just catching up, very nice work on that overhead jerk mate.

1 Like