Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

Event one is Apollon clean and press with einer 75 or 55 kg for max. reps (I guess weight beats reps). Second event is Apollon deadlift with either 200 or 160kg for max reps (I guess again that Wright beats reps). Third is farmers walk 90kg per hand for max time. Last event is loading (1 keg 70kg, 1 keg 100kg, 1 stone 100kg. 7,50m onto a 1,2m platform).

I suppose my strenght would lay in the axle press. Don’t know about the clean but pressing 75kg shouldn’t not be too hard. Deadlifts will be hard regardless of the actual height. 200 kg are out of reach but 160kg might be doable if I focus very hard on it. It is however near my all time PR which was done sumo. I won’t win shit there but that would not be the point of competing anyway. Farmers with 90kg… Have never done that but walking with more than my deadlift max might be a bit difficult. Loading: Never really tried either but I once tried to carry a sandbag with 90-100kg and I simply could not do it.

Don’t sweat the farmer’s weight. With how high the pick-up is and the neutral hand spacing, you can do walks with even more than your deadlift max.

If you’re feeling industrious, you could build yourself a set of farmer’s handles for pretty cheap. Dumbbells aren’t the best substitute, but if you got nothing else you could give them a try as well.

Do you still have the sandbag? I’d be perfect to practice with.

Yes I have the sandbag and I can easily get a keg. The heaviest dumbbels I have access to are 45kg so that doesn’t really help. I have a trap bar but I don’t know how well it will carry oder to farmers. I can not lift 180kg in the trap bar aswell. What are the differences between an axle deadlift and a standard deadlift (obvoiusly thickness and no spinning but how does that affect one’s performance)?

The trap bar will be an awesome substitute for farmers. If worse comes to worse, see if you can elevate the height of the pick-up on the trap bar by placing some plates or blocks of wood under it. And if THAT doesn’t work, just train the farmers light and focus on footspeed. You’ll be amazed what can happen in a competition.

That sandbag and keg will do great things for your loading ability. Outstanding.

With an axle versus a straight bar, even if you’re using straps, the difference is going to be that the axle is much stiffer than a barbell. It will have no flex at the start, which makes breaking it off the floor harder than trying to break a barbell. Additionally, the bar will be further out in front of you at the start, so it tends to be more taxing on the lower back, and more difficult to try to hitch up.

Axle’s can be pretty cheaply made. If you take a 7.5’ length of 2" outer diameter steel pipe (sorry, I don’t know how it boils down to metric), you’ve got an axle. You can wrap some duct tape around the pipe about 16" away from the ends to make collars. Otherwise though, a strong deadlift in general carries over. The very first time I deadlifted an axle was in a competition, and I didn’t find it too difficult.

Now, if straps AREN’T allowed, that changes things a bit. Grip is going to be pretty crucial.

So today I went into the gym to see where I am at approximately.

1 Deadlifts

Up to 140kg x 1. I viewed the footage of that lift and it looked horrible. It wasn’t difficult but my back looked all kinds f fucked up. So - this is no joke - I switched to SLDL instead. With SLDL I can maintain a neutral spine position which makes me feel more comfortable and gives me more confidence.

2 SLDL

Did a couple singles with 145, then did 145kg x1, then I did 150kg x 1.

3 Clean and Press

50 x5
55 x5
60 x3
70 x3
70 x4

4 Pull Ups

Some sets for 6-10 reps

5 Barbell side holds

In steps of 10 kg up to 70kg for about 15 seconds.

Notes:

• Was feeling anxiety before going in to this workout because it would show if competing is an option.
  • Deadlifts: I wish I was allowed to pull sumo. But this is not about wishing. 150kg is not an absolute max. On video it looks very clean but kind of slow. I am good for 155kg at the moment I guess. Deadlifting 160kg at all might be in the card till march even though I would proably place last because this is for max reps and I am struggling to lift that weight at all.
  • Clean and Press: I can press anything I can get up to my shoulders without a doubt. So I would have to work on my clean. I am confident that 75kg might be in the cards, 55kg is for sure.
  • Side holds: Hoping for this to carry over to farmer’s walks. It is a good ab and grip excercise anyhow.
  • In general: I will change up my programm to focus solely on anything that increases my performance for: Deadlifts, Farmer’s walks, Loading and clean (!) and press. I will most likely make thread in the strongman forum to get suggestions on how to peak. I think I should start pulling twice a week, once with high intensity, once with lower.

Looks like you got a good plan coming up. I’ll warn to be careful with the barbell clean when comparing it to an axle. One of the big variables is that an axle won’t rotate like a barbell will, so an axle clean tends to be quite a bit more brutal. Now, if you can just muscle up the weight with a barbell, it’s not the biggest issue, but if you’re relying on being more technical it can bite you.

I intentionally used more muscle than technique to get it up to prepare for that. I got a good deal for an axle that looks like it is very high quality. It was reduced by 30€ so I odererd it. Even if I don’t compete I think I will get good use out of it.

I don’t know what you have access to, as far as hardware stores and stuff like that, but I built built a pair of farmer’s walks handles that didn’t require anything but a screwdriver and a wrench to put together.

If you’re interested in making your own, I can put up a thread with pictures and measurements and stuff.

Just let me know.

Actually. I just wrote it up.

Awesome work man, that axle is going to go very far in your training. Well worth the investment.

I saw your thread in the strongman forum. I’ll give it some input in a bit.

Following along btw, good work man. Glad to hear about the axle clean, as now I’ve realized I’m not doing shitty power cleans, but alxe clean simulations!

Thanks for your input everyone, I appreciate it very much! I am looking forward to your reply, Punischer! Haha TX_iron good one! :smiley: thanks for taking the time lorez. I am not very gifted at building stuff but it doesn’t look too hard.

Trainer in my lunch break and tried a new “oldschool\ hardcore” bodybuilding gym. I liked the look of it, everyone there was nice and most of them dedicated and the owner gave me a pass for 10 Trainings for 15€. I don’t know about gym prices were you live but this is almost nothing were I live. The gym had chalk, loud music, a good rack and stuff. Downside were mostbof the bars because they were bend like hell and looked like a cambered bar. I think one of the owner/ Trainers holds a national squat record in an ipf affiliate, I hope this turns out to be a good learning oppurtinity.

1 clean & press:
-worked up to 75kg x3/ x4/ x4
-dropped down to 60kg for some reps

• did a few sets for some reps with 55kg. Then I noticed that one guy had fat Grips, so I borrowed them. I think I made 5 reps with them.

2 DB seated shoulders press
-25kg x10
-32,5kg x6

3 Rows and lat pulls

• some for a few (by Mark Bell)

Trained before work today. I hatte deadlifting before work and am not looking forward to standing all day.

1 Deadlift

• worked up in small steps to 140kg x3. Left 2 in the tank there.
  • did a drop set with 110 kg for 10-12 reps

2 barbell side hold

• Starter with 50 kg, increased in 10 kg steps to 80 kg. Bar was Held for 15 seconds (timed)

3 bicep curls
2x 10 with weight.

Notes:

• didn’t have much time to train today. Back felt ready again and I wanted to do sind medium Intensität deadlifts. Form felt good this time and my training Partner said back Position in looked find.
  • side holds with heavy weight are brutal!

No training today but news on the competition. Yesterday the organizers posted that only 8 spaces were left. I had to make an early decision and filled out the entry form that evening. Am now awaiting a confirmation and really hope to get one of the places.

As I view this the only way I can lose is by not showing up. Any performance as long as I put 100% effort in it is acceptable. If I place last that is acceptable. This prep is going to make me stronger no matter what happens on competition day. I once read a thread in here about someone in a similar situation and a member explained to him that if the competition calls for a 500 lbs deadlift and his max is 400 lbs and he trains his arse oft till competition, gives 500 his best shot and failes closely, that still means he has improved his deadlift as he actually was close to hitting it. So he maybe would have had a 475 deadlift. It is a while ago that I read that and I don’t know the members involved but I can relate to the situation and it is a display of my mindset right now.

Hey man. Just want to tell you that you made a great decision. I had the same attitude for my first show. I became aware of it kind of late, but decided to jump right in, even with little equipment at my arsenal. I placed last but learned what it was to put myself out there and see what I was worth. To this day, some of my best memories are from that show. I met great people and had a fucking blast. I was also in the same situation as far as strength was concerned. Wasn’t sure at all if I was even going to be able to do the deadlift event without zeroing it.

Anyway, I’ll stick around and keep up with your progress. Hope I can lend a hand.

Hi Vinny thank you so much, I am glad to have you onboard!

Today was not a good day for training and in general. Did a very quick upper body workout after work. As for programming I am mainly going to follow the advice ThePwnisher gave me in the strongman forum.

1 Seated Barbell Press:

• 50kg x10, x8

1b pull aparts in between sets and some warm ups

2 db floor press

• 30kg for sets of 8-15 reps (didn’t really count)

2b lat pulls
-3-5 sets for 10-12 reps (didn’t count either)

3 shoulder stuff

• mainly rotator cuff stuff.

4 seated cable bicep curls

• a set of 25 reps

Notes:

• Didn’t warm up as much as I should because I was in a rush and my right shoulder started hurting a bit. It feels fine now and I am not concerned at all but still it was most likely preventable.
  • It was a shit day
  • my axle arrived and it looks beautiful
  • looking forward to the weekend where I can train properly
  • weather has been pretty good this week so I hope to be training outside this weekend. If not the owner of my local gym is cool with me bringing my own equipment in. He is a nice guy in general who never said anything about me using chalk or something like that (this is not a gym with dedicated lifters but a small local gym with mostly elderly people looking to improve their health). The only thing he (in an appropriate manner) complains about is the noise of me deadlifting because the neighbours are giving him a hard time.

Weather was good enough to train outside today. It was a bit cold and I prefer to train inside but it wasn’t raining or snowing and the ground was dry. The axle is a real beast. It is 220cm long (standard barbell length), weighs 36 kg and has pretty aggressive knurling. It is made of solid steel. Couldn’t be happier about the quality

1 Axle Deadlift off blocks (just under mid shin)

• Worked up to 146kg for 0, 0, finally 1.
  • Gave 151kg a run for its money but couldn’t do it.
  • Droppedto 136 kg and did 3 reps

2 Axle Clean and press
-56 kg for 5
-76 kg for 2
-76 kg for 3
-56 for 10 (I think. Got a little light headed but I think it was for 10 reps)

3 Trap bar deadlifts (without straps)

• Worked up to 126,5 kg (bar weighs 26,5) for 12 reps touch& go

4 1 set of ab rollouts

Notes:

• This workout really hit me mentally and caused me to lose a good bit of confidence. I needed three runs to get 146kg… off blocks! Didn’t think the axle would make deadlifting that much harder. I had in mind to do 155kg for a T&G triple today… Also wanted to use a higher block but a plate plus two mats were all I coud use today.
  • I can clean 56kg without using a continental clean. 76kg however required me to use a mixed grip, rest it on my stomach/ belt then change the grip and somehow muscle it up to my shoulders (including leaning very far back). This movement is so inefficient and absorbs tremendous amounts of energy. Still atleast somewhat happy to get 76kg for a triple the first time I did these.
  • Originally planned on trap bar walks but to get the stuff to the front of the house and on the street would have been too straining and I was running out of time (and energy)
  • I am SHOT after this workout. My forearms, hands, hamstrings, glutes and back are very fatigued and I am very very tired as I write this

Edit:

• 30 minutes of stationary bike + foam rolling in the evening to hopefully speed up on recovery.

Forgot to log yesterday…

1 Seated DB shoulder press

1b row

2 Z Press

2b high row

Notes:

• had a quick workout at the bodybuilding gym before work
  • news on comp: 1. I am on the list 2. straps allowed for deadlifts 3. Weight beats reps but after you have done a rep with the heavier weight reps with the lighter one don’t count.

Outstanding news on getting in ANY on straps being allowed. That’s a big sigh of relief on the axle. Make sure you have straps that will work on an axle, as this will allow you to really hitch and grind as needed.

You are hitting on a topic which was brought up by my last deadlift day. My straps SUCK for axle deadlifting. First of all they are pretty short but more importantly I can barely get both sides equally tight secured. The knurling is so agressive that I can’t really “roll” the straps around with my hand if that makes sense (this is really hard to describe in english for me). If I don’t play close attention (and waste a lot of time trying to figure out what is going on with my straps) I have one hand tight as I want it to and the other one not really tight, resulting in different “arm lengths” on the sides and a bad feel when deadlifting. This makes for a shitty pull. On the other hand if I get everything right it destroys my approach. I mean I am going for a heavy weight, go up and down a bit, set my mind right then I want to go to the bar, set up, grip it and pull hard. But if I need atleast half a minute to get my straps to work properly I lose focus.