T Nation

Peptide Diminished Returns

Are peptides the same as steroids in the thinking that your first run will be your best and that all other preceeding usage will net less gains than the previous?

Yes, if both are leading to downreg of the respective receptors. Less is more? Otherwise, don't know.

Could the receptor downregulation be delayed by frequent changing of injected muscle groups?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I was hoping perhaps even if there was a lessoned degree of site enhancement that new receptors in previously uninjected muscle groups would be more responsive than muscle groups that were already injected. Basically, I am wondering if injecting every single muscle group once every other week would be more beneficial than shooting only shoulders 5x a week.

Not from a site enhancement aspect but from having fresh receptors. Does this make sense, or am I just talking myself in a circle? Obviously I'm confused.

No that doesn't really make any sense. If downreg occurs, then it is systemic in nature, and it won't make any difference where you inject. Hormones act system wide, so you won't get a local response to downreg. Also, it makes sense to ask if we're really talking strictly about down-regulation, or resistence.

Down regulation in all systems I know of (not AAS specific) is usually strictly a transient response of the cell in order to reduce its sensitivity to a given stimulus. Typically this has to do with decreased expression of a protein. Resistence on the other hand is semi-permanent. By that I mean that it can be reversed but it takes much longer to successfully do this, and may or may not be 100% reversable. Think of it in terms of Type 2 diabetes--a guy who lets his diet go for 2 months or so will probably experience down-regulation of his insulin receptor...but a type 2 pre-diabetic (ie-someone eating crappy for years on end) will have intense insulin resistence.

Now, whether it happens in a strictly analogous sense with AAS, I don't know. My point is that there's a difference between the two. My personal view point is based on other science since I'm not strictly informed about AAS research, but I believe that down-regulation is quite probably easily 100% reversible by staying "off" for a significant amount of time before your next cycle.

Resistence I dunno about, but if taking clues from diabetes, it may depend on the amount of time "on" and ratio of time spent "on" vs. "off" as to whether it's 100% reversible or whether you'll build up a permanent baseline handicap (thinking of FFB syndrome analogy here).

Again, I'm not specifically up on AAS research, but I imagine it should be similar to most other biochemical feedback systems I've known.

Gentlemen, I'm dismayed. Bill Roberts laid out convincing arguments against AR receptor downregulation over 9 years ago; I thought the matter had been pretty much settled.

"Exercise Endocrinology" looks like an interesting textbook. I'll take a look at it, and reserve judgement until then.