T Nation

People from Germany, Especially Berlin

Are there any people from Germany here at T-Nation?

yep

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
yep[/quote]

Gold.

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
yep

Gold.[/quote]

What did I miss this time?

where you from?

Dresden (not quite, but almost).
Warum fragst du ?

I have Prussian background, does that count?

Rattler deutsch bitte.

Nein, aber mein vorfater kommt aus Ostfriesland
und ein grosse Berlin-fan

My mom’s from Berlin. Growing up with a German mother was tough.

On the upside, that allows me to poke fun at sandals with white socks, body odor, and chain smoking.

lol

[quote]Vechter wrote:
Rattler deutsch bitte.

Nein, aber mein vorfater kommt aus Ostfriesland
und ein grosse Berlin-fan[/quote]

Don’t understand a damn word of German though.

I know English and French though!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
My mom’s from Berlin. Growing up with a German mother was tough.

On the upside, that allows me to poke fun at sandals with white socks, body odor, and chain smoking.

lol[/quote]

What’s it with the sandals and white socks thing ?
I used to wear sandals and socks(not white, black) in South Africa during their pussified version of winter, mainly because I had only that one pair of shoes. (And I did not see the need to waste money on another pair.)

I don’t see anyone around here wearing sandals+white socks though, so where did that whole myth come from ?

Oh, and I agree that growing up with a German mother (and a German father as well, in my case) is a tough challenge.

No wonder you had that hairstyle in the 80’s, with such a traumatic childhood and all that ^^

ich such jemanden in berlin, der in nem vernünftigen studio trainiert…daher frag ich nach

[quote]matrick wrote:
ich such jemanden in berlin, der in nem vernünftigen studio trainiert…daher frag ich nach[/quote]

Sry, da kannst du ne weile suchen…
Vernünftige Studios gibt es in Deutschland kaum, versuch mal, dich mit ein paar Kraftdreikämpfern kurzzuschlie�?en.

Oder vielleicht gibt es irgendeinen deutschen (Pro)BBer der in Berlin trainiert?

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
I don’t see anyone around here wearing sandals+white socks though, so where did that whole myth come from ?

[/quote]

I think it’s funny you didn’t take offense to the body odor and chain smoking comment.

LOL

How hard is it for an American trying to learn German to find work over there? A friend of mine suggested that lower Germany (Bavaria) would fit my personality. And he mentioned that German women are a treat. Any suggestions?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
I don’t see anyone around here wearing sandals+white socks though, so where did that whole myth come from ?

I think it’s funny you didn’t take offense to the body odor and chain smoking comment.

LOL

[/quote]

Well, that’s mostly because you can’t deny the chain-smoking thing…
When I came back from SA to GER, suddenly the whole female population had apparently taken to chain-smoking… Don’t want to repeat the ashtray joke now, though.

Body odor, well, I don’t get that one at all… Last time I sniffed, body odor was an issue all over the world :wink:

[quote]Brayton wrote:
How hard is it for an American trying to learn German to find work over there? A friend of mine suggested that lower Germany (Bavaria) would fit my personality. And he mentioned that German women are a treat. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Alright, this leaves me no choice.

German woman, a treat?

I severely hope that you like the sensation of licking out an ashtray.

Other than that… You’re a foreigner, so chances are that you’ll find work easier than we do :wink:

You may not even need to work… There’s a whole lot of support coming from the government towards foreigners living here, if you play things right.

Other than that, just try to get into tourism or something, there are about 3 people in all of Germany that can speak English properly…
Add to that that nobody expects a foreigner to be perfect when it comes to the German language…
As long as it’s possible to understand what you’re trying to say.

Computer people, all sorts of engineer-oriented stuff (definitely going to find something if your any kind of engineer) and such are also needed pretty much everywhere.

Also: Doctors (!) (need to understand German in general and all medical terms well enough, of course, but we’re running out of those guys fast…)

Hope that helps, dunno about other areas of work, I spent a lot of time outside of Germany.

Expect the people to be somewhat unfriendly/difficult to approach. Not always, of course, but I sure got that impression after coming back from SA.

German tax laws are one huge mess for anyone who’s self-employed.

#edit: People here sure talk behind other’s backs a lot, they’re like old washer-woman (well, you know what I mean).

ich such schon ne ganze weile und hab ne ganze weile in nem richtig guten studio trainiert.

ich geh aber jetzt nach amerika wo die möglichkeiten natürlich 2x so gro�? sind, verbringe dann den sommer aber immer wieder in berlin und brauche da dann halt was wo ich tranieren kann (vernünftig). wie kommts das du bei der nation bist?

[quote]matrick wrote:
ich such schon ne ganze weile und hab ne ganze weile in nem richtig guten studio trainiert.

ich geh aber jetzt nach amerika wo die möglichkeiten natürlich 2x so gro�? sind, verbringe dann den sommer aber immer wieder in berlin und brauche da dann halt was wo ich tranieren kann (vernünftig). wie kommts das du bei der nation bist?[/quote]

jawohl

Meine Guete, ein deutscher thread. Mal sehen, wie lange die Moderatoren dabei mitspielen… :wink:

Makkun