People At My Gym

I dont get much of it at the gym seeing how I am #smedium4lyfe but in daily life I get it alot. Tons of people asking me for nutrition and weight loss advice. It is very annoying.

Here is a typical conversation that happens at least 1-2x a week.

“What should I do to lose weight?”

" You should do this and this and this"

“That doesnt work for me”.

“I am sorry, I cannot help special and unique snowflakes like you”

“You’re an ass”

“Yes I know.”

[quote]Bauber wrote:
Anyone else have people like this in their gym?[/quote]

If your are the biggest dude in there, it never fails, you will be the center of the universe in the gym. People are either going to stare you down your whole training session or come ask you for advice. It’s either/or.

The only remedy to that is train with other meatheads. The intimidation factor gets multiplied by about a 1,000 for each dude in your lifting crew. 3 people in your circle and you won’t get one question from any of the other innocent bystanders working out.

[quote]Nards wrote:
Long story but me and a buddy were working out on the same bench and had a 35 on either end, then a 10, then a 25…so a very weird combination…then I pointed out that the two younger guys on the Smith machine next to us had the exact same combination of plates. I didn’t know whether to laugh or start a fight with them.

And my God the number of times I’ve been on the treadmill doing an odd combination of speed and incline, like say 1.5% incline and at 8.8kph and the guy on the treadmill next to me starts doing that too.

It may help you to know I’m in Asia.[/quote]

God damn that is funny! Congrats on 10,000!

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
Long story but me and a buddy were working out on the same bench and had a 35 on either end, then a 10, then a 25…so a very weird combination…then I pointed out that the two younger guys on the Smith machine next to us had the exact same combination of plates. I didn’t know whether to laugh or start a fight with them.

And my God the number of times I’ve been on the treadmill doing an odd combination of speed and incline, like say 1.5% incline and at 8.8kph and the guy on the treadmill next to me starts doing that too.

It may help you to know I’m in Asia.[/quote]

God damn that is funny! Congrats on 10,000![/quote]
He’s probably too OCD to post now. That’s it for Nards.

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:
There is one particular guy who always hits me up for advice and training methods, supplementation, etc. Which I have no problem answering questions if I can. He comes in to day with his girl and gets on the bench next to me and proceeds to watch the exact weight I put on and try to match it. It was quite entertaining, but why do this?

The second guy does about the same, but asks you for advice and then tells you what he thinks is right and how you are wrong. He weighs 190 lbs. and claims he has squatted 800 lbs raw. He is also an aspiring physique competitor. Every day he beelines for me and tells me how much stronger hes gotten, what he weighs, and how awesome the newest supplement is hes taking.

They want your approval. I would guess the matching weights is an ego thing, especially with his girl near by.

[/quote]

They have my approval lol. I always do my best to be nice and pleasant. Well his ego was shattered badly then as he about killed himself with 255. Then had the balls to try 315.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
There’s this one guy in my gym, always smiling, well mannered, a little older, married with kids, the whole deal… anyway, as polite as he is, all he seems to ever do is walk around asking the more experienced people questions. Not stupid questions though, I guess he just reads too much, and listens to the wrong advice because despite being very committed to showing up every day of the week, doesn’t seem to grasp even basic concepts about training or nutrition.

What really stands out to me though, is that I remember this guy from another gym I used to train at back in the late 90’s. So he’s had the last 15 years to acquire a basic foundation and it sounds as though it’s all gone over his head.
(so it’s not just the younger/teenage crowd who gets over-ad-informed)

Real nice guy though -lol

S[/quote]

Have people similar to this as well. Really friendly, ask a lot of questions, and seem knowledgeable even, but look terrible.

[quote]MWP wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:

If your are the biggest dude in there, it never fails, you will be the center of the universe in the gym. People are either going to stare you down your whole training session or come ask you for advice. It’s either/or.

The only remedy to that is train with other meatheads. The intimidation factor gets multiplied by about a 1,000 for each dude in your lifting crew. 3 people in your circle and you won’t get one question from any of the other innocent bystanders working out. [/quote]

I am probably the biggest at this particular gym, which isn’t saying much. My workout partner just had rotator cuff surgery 5 weeks ago sadly. It is also funny when they are bringing new people through the gym who are potentially signing up. It was the middle of the day and I was hitting legs with my workout partner. It was pretty empty besides us and some people on treadmills. We heard the couple who was being toured ask the sales guy if we were the typical clients of the gym. I will give my gym one thing - it has lots of nice eye candy.

I workout in my college gym which is filled with frat dudes wearing tanks (some cut all the way down the side to reveal non-existant lats). My partner and I are usually the only two wearing shirts with sleeves. The amount of ego in that gym is retarded. The stuff I see is hilarious, to the point of laughing (quarter squats, flexing in the mirror, half ROM benching, wearing straps to deadlift 135, etc). Although, it probably doesn’t help that all the cardio machines (used only by girls) are up on the second floor and look down on the weight room…

I was repping 405 on my DL’s the other day at the end of my back workout, and had some small wanna-be-trainer come up to me and tell me I was cheating because I was using straps. I asked him to put on the straps and try to pick up the bar. He then told me he wasn’t used to straps because “he doesn’t cheat” so he wouldn’t be able to lift it while wearing them, then proceeded to walk away with his arms flared out…only to correct someone else’s form across the gym. Good times.

[quote]MAK40 wrote:
and had some small wanna-be-trainer come up to me and tell me I was cheating because I was using straps. [/quote]

I would have brought a 55 gallon drum of chalk with me the next time I did deads then. I would have looked like Casper the Ghost or Dave Chappele after one of his old crack rock scenes in the Chappele Show and dared the fuckhead to say something.

[quote]MAK40 wrote:

I was repping 405 on my DL’s the other day at the end of my back workout, and had some small wanna-be-trainer come up to me and tell me I was cheating because I was using straps. I asked him to put on the straps and try to pick up the bar. He then told me he wasn’t used to straps because “he doesn’t cheat” so he wouldn’t be able to lift it while wearing them, then proceeded to walk away with his arms flared out…only to correct someone else’s form across the gym. Good times. [/quote]

He was just trying to steal your shine.

[quote]MAK40 wrote:
I workout in my college gym which is filled with frat dudes wearing tanks (some cut all the way down the side to reveal non-existant lats). My partner and I are usually the only two wearing shirts with sleeves. The amount of ego in that gym is retarded. The stuff I see is hilarious, to the point of laughing (quarter squats, flexing in the mirror, half ROM benching, wearing straps to deadlift 135, etc). Although, it probably doesn’t help that all the cardio machines (used only by girls) are up on the second floor and look down on the weight room…

I was repping 405 on my DL’s the other day at the end of my back workout, and had some small wanna-be-trainer come up to me and tell me I was cheating because I was using straps. I asked him to put on the straps and try to pick up the bar. He then told me he wasn’t used to straps because “he doesn’t cheat” so he wouldn’t be able to lift it while wearing them, then proceeded to walk away with his arms flared out…only to correct someone else’s form across the gym. Good times. [/quote]

I had a trainer who weighs about 140 soaking wet tell me that I was making too much noise while deadlifting and scaring his clients. Now he stood in front of me and looked at me while I was doing my reps with 585. This dbag had approached me on other occasions to let me know something of equal fucktardery. I was out of breath and not in a good mood as my back was tight as hell. I politely told him that if he ever spoke to me again I would tear his head from his small body and punt it over the treadmills.

That was some time ago and he still has not spoken to me since and avoids me like the plague.

[quote]MWP wrote:

[quote]MAK40 wrote:
and had some small wanna-be-trainer come up to me and tell me I was cheating because I was using straps. [/quote]

I would have brought a 55 gallon drum of chalk with me the next time I did deads then. I would have looked like Casper the Ghost or Dave Chappele after one of his old crack rock scenes in the Chappele Show and dared the fuckhead to say something. [/quote]

hahah. “Chocolate… this is doodoo baby!!”

There is an akward looking guy that follows me around my gym… really weird!!

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:
There is an akward looking guy that follows me around my gym… really weird!![/quote]

Those are just mirrors.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:
There is an akward looking guy that follows me around my gym… really weird!![/quote]

Those are just mirrors.

[/quote]
lololololololol

I had this one guy approach me at the gym and ask questions about working out and nutrition. Through conversation I learned he was a recovering cocoaine addict and was trying to turn is life around. So I helped him with a program and gave him some pointers with a diet and he came to the gym religously for about two months. He stopped coming for a month and one day wandered in and told me he fell off the wagon but was eager to give a serious go at the gym again. We then had the following conversation,

Him, “So I can get some steriods off a buddy of mine.”
Me, “Why?”
“I’m having a hard time putting on weight.”
“When was the last time you did cocoaine?”
“About four days ago.”
“What have you eaten today?”
“A big mac meal from McDonald’s.”
“How about stop doing cocoaine and maybe start eating a lot more in the run of a day than just a big mac meal”
“… I think I’ll just get the steriods.”

Awesome

[quote]Kamel wrote:
I had this one guy approach me at the gym and ask questions about working out and nutrition. Through conversation I learned he was a recovering cocaine addict and was trying to turn is life around. So I helped him with a program and gave him some pointers with a diet and he came to the gym religiously for about two months. He stopped coming for a month and one day wandered in and told me he fell off the wagon but was eager to give a serious go at the gym again. We then had the following conversation,

Me, “Why?”
“When was the last time you did cocaine?”
“About four days ago.”
“How about stop doing cocaine and maybe start eating a lot more in the run of a day than just a big mac meal”

Awesome[/quote]
lol dumbass

[quote]Kamel wrote:
I had this one guy approach me at the gym and ask questions about working out and nutrition. Through conversation I learned he was a recovering cocoaine addict and was trying to turn is life around. So I helped him with a program and gave him some pointers with a diet and he came to the gym religously for about two months. He stopped coming for a month and one day wandered in and told me he fell off the wagon but was eager to give a serious go at the gym again. We then had the following conversation,

Me, “Why?”
“About four days ago.”
“How about stop doing cocoaine and maybe start eating a lot more in the run of a day than just a big mac meal”

Awesome[/quote]

Was it the Coked Up Werewolf?

[quote]Mad Martigan wrote:

[quote]Kamel wrote:

Me, “Why?”
“About four days ago.”

Awesome[/quote]

Was it the Coked Up Werewolf?[/quote]

Pardon my ignorance, but I don’t get the reference

MP3 player with ear buds on even if you aren’t listening to anything and don’t make eye contact. A major co-worker babe once told me this is how she walks to work and keeps away the riff raff. Problem solved.

[quote]Kamel wrote:

Me, “Why?”
“About four days ago.”

Awesome[/quote]

I hope he is sterilized.

[quote]Kamel wrote:

[quote]Mad Martigan wrote:

[quote]Kamel wrote:

Me, “Why?”
“About four days ago.”

Awesome[/quote]

Was it the Coked Up Werewolf?[/quote]

Pardon my ignorance, but I don’t get the reference
[/quote]

Haha, sorry. I tried to find a good picture, but no luck. It’s a very old Conan O’Brien character. It’s a werewolf… who loves coke. When I was reading this story I just pictured it as the coked up werewolf.