T Nation

Pelvic Tilt Question

So, as a lot of us probably know, sitting for excessive periods of time is noted as being a major cause for developing tight hip flexors and forcing our lumbar curve into a hyper-lordotic state (anteriorly tilted pelvis.)

To me, however, that is something which I find confusing; I had always thought that the typical 'computer guy' would be more prone to developing a posterior pelvic tilt, as a slouched sitting position appears to force the spine into a complete state of flexion (if flexion of the lumbar spine is coupled with kyphosis of the upper back.)

Is it the case that, with poor attention to posture, the psoas shortens under spinal flexion while seated, but remains shortened when we stand up, reversing the direction in which the pelvis is pulled (from posteriorly tilted to anteriorly tilted)? If so, then what would cause the spine to remain in a state of flexion? Been doing some reading over articles regarding posture recently, and just wanted to clear this up to get a better understanding.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

With this picture, for instance...

Typical poor sitting posture. To me, that looks like a spine that's in a complete state of flexion- a rounded upper back and a posteriorly-tilted pelvis. I guess I had figured that if an individual were to remain in this position for hours every day, the body would adapt to maintaining itself in such a position (lumbar flexion) rather than being more prone to causing lumbar hyperextension when the indivudual was on their feet.

Could either of you possibly help?

I have just posted this on Thib's thread to see if i could get any advice so i'll repeat it here as it seems this is kind of what i was after, any help is greatly appreciated!

have been training for just over a year and a half now and have made some good gains in size and weight, however i feel i now have muscular imbalances due to bad programming on my behalf early in my training.

My question is about helping to correct a posture problem through correcting muscular imbalances.

I suffer from what i think seems to be piriformis syndrome where it gives the impression that the spine is curved, have recently began stretching the piriformis and the lower back but would be greatful if anyone can help or give advice if they have suffered from this previously!

Any suggestions please?

Thanks BBB! Will give it a look!

The lumbar spine isn't necessarily flexed when sitting. The hip flexors tighten from all the sitting we do, then the psoas pulls on the TP of the lumbar vertebrae pulling them into excessive extension (lordosis) which then causes the pelvis to anteriorly tilt. The rectus femoris and iliacus is attached directly to the pelvis and if these muscles are tight they will directly cause APT (anterior pelvic tilt).