T Nation

Peelable Hardboiled Eggs

I thought I’d share my success story. For a long time I fumbled around trying to make EZ peel hardboiled eggs, trying everything I read, modulating every variable. Cooling the eggs quickly was so elusive. I could never manage enough ice. Here is the trick I found that allows the shells to slide right off:

SNOW. I realize not everyone can take advantage of this, but I boil 36 eggs in a large pot for about 5 minutes, then move the pot to the sink. I IMMEDIATELY pile snow on top of the pot, as high as I can. When the pile is about a foot high, and covers the pot, I wait until it stops melting and reaches near equilibrium. Then I remove them and store in the fridge.

Hope this prevents others suffering!

Thanks, but what are you going to do in summer time?

I find that some brands of eggs are easier to peel than others. Im not sure why this is the case, but find the brand that peels easiest and keep buying them.

tweet

For those of us in… Better climates, I just run cold water for a while into the pan. I find that works well, and I always try to use the freshest eggs I can find

Yep, fresh eggs are the main factor. Cool em quick and peel.

[quote]theBird wrote:
[/quote]
Boil 11 000 eggs on the last winter day. Should be enough for 5 dozen a day for six months. Profit.

[quote]demonthrall wrote:
I thought I’d share my success story. For a long time I fumbled around trying to make EZ peel hardboiled eggs, trying everything I read, modulating every variable. Cooling the eggs quickly was so elusive. I could never manage enough ice. Here is the trick I found that allows the shells to slide right off:

SNOW. I realize not everyone can take advantage of this, but I boil 36 eggs in a large pot for about 5 minutes, then move the pot to the sink. I IMMEDIATELY pile snow on top of the pot, as high as I can. When the pile is about a foot high, and covers the pot, I wait until it stops melting and reaches near equilibrium. Then I remove them and store in the fridge.

Hope this prevents others suffering![/quote]

Old eggs are easier to peel than new eggs.

Since I throw out the white anyway I just break them open when done cooking and harvest the yolk without a thought about how I hate peeling eggs.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Since I throw out the white anyway I just break them open when done cooking and harvest the yolk without a thought about how I hate peeling eggs.
[/quote]

why do you throw out the white?

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[/quote]

why do you throw out the white?[/quote]

I don’t like them. I prefer to just eat more of the fatty and vitamin rich yolks instead.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[/quote]

I don’t like them. I prefer to just eat more of the fatty and vitamin rich yolks instead.[/quote]

fair enough, seems a shame to waste the protein though

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[/quote]

I don’t like them. I prefer to just eat more of the fatty and vitamin rich yolks instead.[/quote]

fair enough, seems a shame to waste the protein though[/quote]

A waste would be for me to eat them when I don’t need the protein.

I am trying to lose fat and too much protein slows weight loss down.

I eat less than 100g/day at 220lbs.

I eat less than 100g/day at 220lbs.[/quote]

yeah I guess, man your calories must be hella low if you’re losing fat only eating 100g of protein at 220lbs

Speaking of older eggs (as I know they’re easier to peel), does anyone know how long eggs (not yet cooked – still in the carton) can be kept in the fridge for and still be good, and not spoiled?

I have a carton of nice pricey pasture-raised eggs that I haven’t gotten around to making, and they must be 4 or 5 weeks old now . . . .

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

I eat less than 100g/day at 220lbs.[/quote]

yeah I guess, man your calories must be hella low if you’re losing fat only eating 100g of protein at 220lbs[/quote]

I never feel hungry so long as I am able to keep improving my strength and performance that is all that matters to me.

[quote]Damici wrote:
Speaking of older eggs (as I know they’re easier to peel), does anyone know how long eggs (not yet cooked – still in the carton) can be kept in the fridge for and still be good, and not spoiled?

I have a carton of nice pricey pasture-raised eggs that I haven’t gotten around to making, and they must be 4 or 5 weeks old now . . . .[/quote]

Don’t the Chinese eat 1000 year old eggs :slight_smile:

Seriously, just crack it open in a bowl and smell it.

According to the below link they may last longer raw than cooked.

http://askville.amazon.com/long-refrigerated-eggs-stay/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=1715645

[quote]theBird wrote:

I find that some brands of eggs are easier to peel than others. Im not sure why this is the case, but find the brand that peels easiest and keep buying them.

tweet[/quote]

I will be swearing and gouging eggs

As long as you don’t use yellow snow.

As some here have mentioned, the fresher the egg, the harder to peel. If I’m boiling some eggs, I’ll leave them out on the counter for a week (after collecting them).

Supposedly putting a tablespoon of baking soda into the boiling water makes them much easier to peel. Haven’t tried this myself.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
Supposedly putting a tablespoon of baking soda into the boiling water makes them much easier to peel. Haven’t tried this myself.[/quote]

It works almost every time. Cool the eggs in cold water and then throw in a dash of baking soda, mix, and then let the eggs sit for 30 seconds.

If you over boil them or under boil them they will be a pain to peel.

I flash cool then, crack them and the bottom and chip vertically to the other end. By that time you’ve broken under the “skin” and are able to just pull back the shell.