Peekaboo (D'Amato Style) for Muay Thai/MMA?

Hi, due to lockdown I can no longer do Muay Thai sparring but I thought I may get a slip bag and an evo bob bag to practice on,

We do sparring once a week and I tend to usually get destroyed by either lefties that have a direct rear kick lined up to my liver, I’ll try power through it but after 3 I’m done haha, and also taller opponents, I basically have to rush in and get in the pocket but take damage whilst doing so, the only suggestion I have got is to utilize the jab but against a fighter that has been doing it for 8 years it just isn’t enough.

I’m a shorter guy but heavier at 5ft 8" and 190lb so if I participate in an actual fight I’m going against someone with quite a reach advantage.

Has anyone used this style with success in MMA or just slips in general, thanks.

Are you talking real MT? I don’t know if a peekaboo defense is good when elbows are allowed.

My advice as far as MMA goes: if you plan on being a “striker” then lose weight and go down a couple of weight classes.

Most MMA fighters defend like punching bags. Anderson Silva was a rarity.

1 Like

Yes, I’m mostly taking it for just personal defence but would like to have a fight under my belt in the next couple of years… I do know there is a peekaboo style in Muay Thai and I’m not refering to that I’m more refering to the style reminicent of Tyson, I obviously will not do it to the level he did but certain gyms still teach it.

I only want to really do it for the experience, I want to stay at a lean 190lb anyway as it won’t be too much for the army as I’m thinking of joining in the next couple of years the style may work to my favour as boxing is a big part of the British Army, thanks.

why is everything “in a couple of years”? . . .you cant kill a rabbit by aiming at it . . .

On topic, IMO Tyson peak-a-boo style wouldn’t really play out well in MT due to elbows and kicks . . . also it relies heavily on planted legs, which wouldn’t help when you want to check those damaging low kicks in MT . . . but get a taster in it, why not, always nice to have a few extra tools especially for self defense you never know when it may come in handy to slip a few drunken jabs at the bar . . . which if you do join the army , many will probably end up coming your way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha good point, and yes I’d probably have to use it sparingly as I can slip my head into a kick and it utilizes the low guard for chin and liver protection, I guess every style has its weakness, thanks.

Nothing to add on technique random but as an aside there’s a series on Netflix called Fight World presented by Frank Grillo looking at fighters and the different disciplines. There’s an episode on MT you might like. Another on Lethwei, also interesting but the most impressive was the episode in Israel. Worth a watch if you’ve not seen the series.

1 Like

It depends on how you look at it. MT is a sport. Does it have weaknesses within the sport or compared to other sports? Which in turn may have weaknesses when compared the other way.

The point being, if you want to have an actual MT match then why worry about supposed “weaknesses” when you will be under the same rules as your opponent? In which case it’s your weaknesses and strengths vs your opponents weaknesses and strengths under the specific conditions of an MT match.

I also don’t know what the British Army does or which MOS (I don’t know what the British term is) you will be but, if it’s anything like the US, you won’t be 190 anymore. Be prepared to lose weight. You can always put it back on at some point. I started to freak out as I got smaller and despite eating junk food (which I had to force down) to try and get more calories in, I still lost weight.

1 Like

Hi

Peekabo is not going to work in MMA or MT. It is a sweet science for boxing.

Being shorter is not a disadvantage. Having lower elevation is actually a huge advantage. People should punch you down or elevate to your level to get straights and hooks.

I know the struggle of being the shorter fighter.

Here are a few tips.

Learn hands positioning. They are not for defending, but attacking, therefor hands need to point towards your opponent. Boxing comes from the fencers in Europe. And if you notice an old picture of fencers they will have two rapiers or rapier and a dagger pointing towards their opponents. Think of your hands as knives. You do not defend with a knife you attack with it.

Hands up is the worst form of defence.

Once you establish this you will notice how it is much easier to counter even people with a longer reach and how they will hesitate attacking you, once your hands are threatining and pointing towards them.

Once they become hesitant go and find your distance. That is the mid range, not the close range or the clinch. At mid range you deliver punches at your best power, while taller oponents are not able to fully extend into their punches. At close range both you and the oponent use more uppercuts and short hooks, so you lose your advantage. At the clinch usually the taller guy has advantage.

That goes for boxing.

I have some experience with dutch kick boxing and almost the same rules apply. Most combos in dutch KB start with hands and finish in a low kick or a body kick.

Hope that helps.

Tip against the lefties.

Against their kicks. Time and step in to jab. They will lose the power of the kick.

When in the mid range. Counter their jab with a hook, then step towards your left and deliver your powerful kick.

1 Like