PEDs at the Crossfit games

Just like any other “sport.”

S

Yep. You gotta do what you gotta do to compete at a high level like the crossfit games. Some just don’t know how to manage their drugs well enough to not get caught.

lol

guy was using nandrolone… worst thing u can take for a tested sport…u can test positive for those metabolites a year after u stopped the drug.

Ostarine?

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Ostarine?[/quote]

yeah I was surprised about that as well.

wow! I had heard (sorry no source to cite) that Froning had an Rx for everything and was able to get away with a lot because of the Rx.

[quote]TheKraken wrote:
wow! I had heard (sorry no source to cite) that Froning had an Rx for everything and was able to get away with a lot because of the Rx. [/quote]

That would run counter to their drug testing policy. Sounds like bro-talk to me. Your source is likely a totally awesome bro who knows a guy. The drug testing policy doesn’t make exceptions for prescriptions. I won’t pretend to know how/what Froning has gotten away with though, for whatever reasons he’s been able to do it.

And agree with Walkway. He’s a moron if he knowingly took Deca… although it wouldn’t be terribly surprising if he thought he was buying something else, and his supplier substituted Deca instead. That happens.

EDIT: as for the Ostarine, I suppose it’s possible that the guy ingested a tainted supplement, but I think it’s equally likely that he thought he could get away with taking it. Not that Ostarine is worth a shit anyway.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
The drug testing policy doesn’t make exceptions for prescriptions. I won’t pretend to know how/what Froning has gotten away with though, for whatever reasons he’s been able to do it.
[/quote]

I’m not speaking from any first hand information here, but is it completely impossible that a big name in the sport gets a little extra “help” because of the attention he garners.

Again, I’m just spitballing here, with no real info, sources etc. On the topic of prescriptions, I do know of a new bodybuilding federation that allows HRT, and obviously the other older, more established feds don’t seem to be taking too kindly to their stance. Is it a solid zero tolerance policy even with medical support? I only ask because many people I know who follow XFit feel that PEDs are more rampant there than in the IFBB.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I’m not speaking from any first hand information here, but is it completely impossible that a big name in the sport gets a little extra “help” because of the attention he garners.

S[/quote]

I think this is pretty likely. A few coaches have essentially hinted at this in various articles I’ve read at one time or another, although never about Crossfit. If someone is attracting a lot of attention and providing the sport with a lot of revenue, I think it’s a little naïve to assume otherwise.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
The drug testing policy doesn’t make exceptions for prescriptions. I won’t pretend to know how/what Froning has gotten away with though, for whatever reasons he’s been able to do it.
[/quote]

Again, I’m just spitballing here, with no real info, sources etc. On the topic of prescriptions, I do know of a new bodybuilding federation that allows HRT, and obviously the other older, more established feds don’t seem to be taking too kindly to their stance. Is it a solid zero tolerance policy even with medical support? I only ask because many people I know who follow XFit feel that PEDs are more rampant there than in the IFBB.

S[/quote]

On your first point, I would think definitely. People should find it odd that every year, a few guys get busted for PED’s, and it’s NEVER the very top guys. So basically, we’re to assume the guys who aren’t winning are using PED’s, but the winners aren’t? That sounds pretty foolish to me.

I know Crossfit claims to use NCAA standards, and as far as I’m aware, TRT is not permitted under those rules… but the actual policy, as it is written, seems pretty vague. I’ve never heard any big name crossfit athlete mention being on TRT, and there are plenty that have stated very clearly that they don’t use anything of the sort, Froning being probably the most outspoken of them.

I’m not sure how drugs could be more rampant in crossfit than the IFBB… that seems like it would have to be an exaggeration. But I do believe that athletes at the highest levels of every professional sport, crossfit included, are using banned substances more often than not. In crossfit, I assume there are many, many athletes using GW501516. It’s basically endurance in a bottle, and it’s nearly impossible to test for at this time. I don’t know if crossfit drug testing even screens for it at all.

That GW501516 stuff sounds pretty nasty…“tests on rats showed that at all doses, the drug rapidly causes cancers in a multitude of organs, including the liver, bladder, stomach, skin, thyroid, tongue, testes, ovaries and womb.”

I am not an expert but how would taking Letro help a Crossfitter? Just improved Test/Estro ratios?

[quote]Myosin wrote:
That GW501516 stuff sounds pretty nasty…“tests on rats showed that at all doses, the drug rapidly causes cancers in a multitude of organs, including the liver, bladder, stomach, skin, thyroid, tongue, testes, ovaries and womb.”

I am not an expert but how would taking Letro help a Crossfitter? Just improved Test/Estro ratios?[/quote]

I would imagine he was just using it to control estrogen. He’s obviously not the brightest crossfit athlete anyway since he was using Deca…

As for the GW stuff… there isn’t a clear answer as to whether or not it’s relatively safe for humans to consume. The doses in the rat studies went up to 400mg, for extended periods of time (years at the high end). The recommended dose for humans is in the 10-20mg range, for 5 or 6 weeks at a time. So much larger animal, much smaller dose, for a shorter duration. There are no human studies to look at. But I can tell you I personally know people using it. Some people like it because it can counteract the negative cardiovascular effects of tren. It’s not something I’d be willing to risk, but I can see how people justify it.

I wonder if EPO is being used in crossfit as well. It would most definitely benefit the endurance factor that is needed to succeed in high level competition such as the games since it drastically increases RBC production in the blood. Although from what I’ve read, it is very expensive. Even if it was available, I’m not sure they could even afford it. Ever since Lance Armstrong and the Floyd Landis scandal, you don’t hear much about the drug anymore. At least I haven’t. Thoughts?

[quote]Steez wrote:
I wonder if EPO is being used in crossfit as well. It would most definitely benefit the endurance factor that is needed to succeed in high level competition such as the games since it drastically increases RBC production in the blood. Although from what I’ve read, it is very expensive. Even if it was available, I’m not sure they could even afford it. Ever since Lance Armstrong and the Floyd Landis scandal, you don’t hear much about the drug anymore. At least I haven’t. Thoughts?[/quote]

doubtful, as it would be very easy to test for.

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]Steez wrote:
I wonder if EPO is being used in crossfit as well. It would most definitely benefit the endurance factor that is needed to succeed in high level competition such as the games since it drastically increases RBC production in the blood. Although from what I’ve read, it is very expensive. Even if it was available, I’m not sure they could even afford it. Ever since Lance Armstrong and the Floyd Landis scandal, you don’t hear much about the drug anymore. At least I haven’t. Thoughts?[/quote]

Which is why NOBODY uses it on the Tour de France :wink:

doubtful, as it would be very easy to test for.

[/quote]

1. If you can get away with using PERFORMANCE enhancing drugs because you have a script for it, the rules wouldn’t make sense. THERE ARE specific cases where a product is permitted with a prescription, like if not using it could be life-threating, but HRT would NOT fall in that category, otherwise every athlete in the world would be on HRT… not hard top get a script. Heck there are even master lifters who tested positive for testosterone, had a script and were suspended anyway. Getting a script makes using testosterone “legal” but it doesn’t give you the right to bypass the rules. AGAIN some medications on the banned list CAN be permitted with a script but you have the burden of proof to show that not taking them medication would be dangerous… there was a time where there was so much endurance athletes who had a script for clenbuterol because their doctor said they were asthmatic that it was a joke.

It IS possible however that a sport organization that is not registered with WADA, do not use their labs and rules, decides to accept any substance use with a medical script… which would be a farce.

1. There is NO DOUBT that high profile athletes can be protected. There are insider reports that weightlifting federations “buy out” the right of a few athletes to test “clean”… VERY expensive but it has happened. The PED war will NEVER be won. Too many people have an interest in seeing inhumane performances. NOBODY really want to catch all the users. What they want is to give the appearance of an effective drug testing policy where nobody can pass through the cracks.

High level sport is about marketing. You can bet that EVERYTHING attached to it has a strategy.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

1. If you can get away with using PERFORMANCE enhancing drugs because you have a script for it, the rules wouldn’t make sense. THERE ARE specific cases where a product is permitted with a prescription, like if not using it could be life-threating, but HRT would NOT fall in that category, otherwise every athlete in the world would be on HRT… not hard top get a script. Heck there are even master lifters who tested positive for testosterone, had a script and were suspended anyway. Getting a script makes using testosterone “legal” but it doesn’t give you the right to bypass the rules. AGAIN some medications on the banned list CAN be permitted with a script but you have the burden of proof to show that not taking them medication would be dangerous… there was a time where there was so much endurance athletes who had a script for clenbuterol because their doctor said they were asthmatic that it was a joke.

It IS possible however that a sport organization that is not registered with WADA, do not use their labs and rules, decides to accept any substance use with a medical script… which would be a farce.

[/quote]

Does this apply to people treating hypogonadism with TRT with NORMAL values. This seems kind of unfair. I consider TRT to be medicine, nothing else, the same way synthroid is given for hypothyroidism, insulin for diabetes, metoprolol for hypertension, and so on.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[/quote]

Does this apply to people treating hypogonadism with TRT with NORMAL values. This seems kind of unfair. I consider TRT to be medicine, nothing else, the same way synthroid is given for hypothyroidism, insulin for diabetes, metoprolol for hypertension, and so on. [/quote]

Except that TRT within normal values is still an advantage. Age from 25 to 40 and the values stay the same. Overstressed from work, not getting much sleep? Values stay the same. Restricted diet to lose weight? Values stay the same. While I agree that the advantage is not an supra-normal one, it still counts.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[/quote]

Does this apply to people treating hypogonadism with TRT with NORMAL values. This seems kind of unfair. I consider TRT to be medicine, nothing else, the same way synthroid is given for hypothyroidism, insulin for diabetes, metoprolol for hypertension, and so on. [/quote]

I’m uncertain how the WADA specifies the rule; however some organizations specify like this…
For Testosterone â?? if the administration of testosterone or the use of any other manipulation has the result of increasing the ratio of the total concentration of testosterone to that of epitestosterone in the urine to greater that 6:1, unless there is evidence that this ratio is due to a physiological or pathological
condition.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[/quote]

You are correct… there is a difference between “treatment” and “optimization”… I remember reading a book by a Tour de France doctor who justified his actions saying that he was optimizing his athletes not doping them because he was not exceeding the normal values. I do not agree with that way of thinking.