Pec Tears, Who's Had One??

So who out there has had a pec tear and if so, what was the cause (i.e. poor warm-up, straining for a new PR, etc)?

Reason I ask is a guy in my gym earlier this week experienced a 50% tear in one while putting up 225 for reps when I have seen him max out at over 275 with good form in the weeks prior.

Finally getting my bench up above 325 myself, do any of you vets have tips or advice on avoiding tears?

Warm up propperly!

Oh! and stretch! lots!

Ummmmmmmm…! can’t really think of alot else!

Here is a good read from TC regarding pec tears:

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_144tc

As far as other means of prevention, maybe try high rep dumbbell work, sub-max eccentrics, and the like. If I remember, Dr. Ryan Smith, who contributes here, had a recent pec injury, so maybe direct your question twoards him.

Cheers,

Pat

[quote]RABIDRHINO wrote:
So who out there has had a pec tear and if so, what was the cause (i.e. poor warm-up, straining for a new PR, etc)?

Reason I ask is a guy in my gym earlier this week experienced a 50% tear in one while putting up 225 for reps when I have seen him max out at over 275 with good form in the weeks prior.

Finally getting my bench up above 325 myself, do any of you vets have tips or advice on avoiding tears? [/quote]

I had one due to lack of flexability, over training, and an internaly rotated humerus.

Avoid those by maintaining flexability, training with more intensity and less frequency, and including some external rotation prehab type stuff.

I read TC’s article, it was good. I like it…I see where he’s coming from…I was also surprised with that quote from Charlie Francis…It’s just pretty damn fun though to know your 1RM…wheter it be in the bench, squat or deadlift.