Pec Size Imbalance

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Where has this guy written that he can’t feel his pec working? His concern seems to be completely cosmetic. Are you all reading posts I can’t see?[/quote]

He may be referring to a difference in muscle tissue size between his left and right pec. That is something beyond a cosmetic concern. However it may be the case the he has a tendency to store fat unevenly in his pecs, as you discussed in your thread.

Goodfellow wrote:
If you can’t feel a pec working to it’s full potential compared to the other it’s most definitely an imbalance in your back/shoulders.

From what I’ve researched, the most common effect on creating a pec size imbalance is when someone carries a heavy bag on one shoulder for a period of time.

I still can’t find out what the protocol is for fixing said problem though…

Where has this guy written that he can’t feel his pec working? His concern seems to be completely cosmetic. Are you all reading posts I can’t see?[/quote]

I should of said ‘if you don’t think it’s working to its full potential’, my bad.

From what i’ve been reading, usually the muscular imbalance in the back/shoulders inhibits full contraction of a pec which results in a size imbalance.

I work my chest tomorrow so I’d like to get this sorted out before I work out. Right now my chest training for tomorrow looks like:

40# DB Bench Press a couple reps short of failure
tucked elbows pushups to failure
rest X minutes
repeat for 3-4 sets

I think that the bench would help pre-fatigue my pecs and make it easier to feel my pecs contracting during the pushups which would hopefully help with the mind-muscle connection. Sound good?

I’d also be doing deads and squats tomorrow. The above mentioned would be replacing my normal BB bench.

Goodfellow wrote:
If you can’t feel a pec working to it’s full potential compared to the other it’s most definitely an imbalance in your back/shoulders.

From what I’ve researched, the most common effect on creating a pec size imbalance is when someone carries a heavy bag on one shoulder for a period of time.

I still can’t find out what the protocol is for fixing said problem though…

I suspect, quite tentatively as I know nothing about this guy, that an inadvertent flaw in his form is under recruiting his pecs on that side.

If his front delt on the side of the smaller pec is bigger than the other one that tells the story. If not then it’s something else. Something is moving the bar on the smaller side. I’m betting he’s using his front delt there more than he realizes, but I’m not betting much because there’s no way to know without being there.

[quote]ItWasntMe wrote:
I think that the bench would help pre-fatigue my pecs and make it easier to feel my pecs contracting during the pushups which would hopefully help with the mind-muscle connection. Sound good?[/quote]

You’re just going to have to feel it out. In theory that sounds alright, but you should consider what muscles you predominantly use in bench. If you feel your chest well when you bench, then that’ll be great.

Also, you should be doing some subscapularis work. A strength imbalance there may be the root of your problem.

It’s not an uneven distribution of fat, I can feel the difference between fat and muscle and when I tense my pecs my left feels larger than my right. I believe my pecs are equal in strength, it’s just size that I’m concerned about. I can feel both pecs working and they are equally strong, I just want to bring up my right pec to match my left.

If it matters, my left tricep is also slightly larger than my right but they are also equally strong I believe. The hardest part for benching with me is off the chest, when the triceps kick in it’s easy as cake. That goes for all presses for me.