T Nation

Pec Size Imbalance

After looking through every thread the search button could find dealing with a pec imbalance it seems the most logical thing to do is lift with DB’s instead of a BB to evenly distribute the weight.

Unfortunately I work out at school so the DB’s there only go up to 40. I suppose I can do flyes with the 40’s but they’re too light to bother benching with. Anyone have any ideas for other lifts that would help correct the imbalance?

Thanks in advance!

you could really try working on your mind-muscle connection with you and that weak muscle…really focus on that muscle while performing the exercise.

I believe i read somewhere here on this site that a lagging body part is the cause of the nervous system not causing that muscle to fire at it’s fullest. you could improve it by improving the mind-muscle connection, or working that muscle out more frequently

Agree with the above poster, and what ever the fuck you do, do not train chest more than usual to fix it.

You could buy some dumbells and do presses at home. Do them from the floor if you have to.

Maybe one arm pushups. There kind of tough though and I always am telling myself to start doing them, but somehow they never seem to make it into my workouts.

[quote]ItWasntMe wrote:
After looking through every thread the search button could find dealing with a pec imbalance it seems the most logical thing to do is lift with DB’s instead of a BB to evenly distribute the weight.

Unfortunately I work out at school so the DB’s there only go up to 40. I suppose I can do flyes with the 40’s but they’re too light to bother benching with. Anyone have any ideas for other lifts that would help correct the imbalance?

Thanks in advance![/quote]

Do flyes with whatever weight you like, then drop them and do presses with the 40’s immediately. They will do you justice. Then straight away move to pushups - your choice (i like to put my hands on the seat of the bench, feet on floor [close grip, yes] and really focus on the squeeze).

3-4 sets of this should help.

Joe

Personally, if i was to have this problem, I would start by stretching the pec muscles out, on both sides, then take away actually pressing weight, get 3 chairs, hand on 2 chairs and feet on the other and do press up…full extensions. The only weights I would recommend is the flyes to keep the outer pec ticking over. If you do wish to continue pressing weight then I would say stick to dumbbell, after a period of time the pecs WILL become balanced again. If you stick with a barbell, the bigger side will do most of the lift.

Another idea would possible be to do presses on a cable machine? I find that these help me when i platau in my training, although i am not training chest atthe moment due to my posture.

Hope this helps

Prem… how do you do presses on cables? I know of a way, but it is awkward and just generally shite, so how do you do it?

Thanks!

Joe

Joe

I place the cable joint up at the very top (will depend on your height)…take a lunge step forward, angle your body towards the floor, and from this position you can press down, you can do flyes…or…

You can have the cable to the joint just below shoulder height, and the same can be done…presses or flyes…

Different cable sections target different areas of the pecs, personally I am a BIG fan of throwing this in at the end of my chest exercises just to really squeeze all the juice left out. But for this guy I would ask that he follows the chair idea. With 3 chairs, do press ups as you will not be restricted by the ground and be able to gain a full range of movement.

Would you agree?

Oh yeah i get ya… i’ll give it a go for burns or summat…

With this guy, that would be fine as well as what i suggested…OR BOTH!! But is he ever gonna post back with a bit of feedback or…?

Joe

Sorry I haven’t replied in a while. At first I only got a reply or two and then I hadn’t thought on checking up on it until now.

As to correcting the imbalance my next chest workout should look something like:

40# DB Flyes to failure
40# DB Bench Press to failure
close grip pushups to failure
rest X minutes
repeat for 3-4 sets?

something like that? Would doing that on Days I’d be benching work well? Would 2-3 minutes rest be ideal because I’m repetitively going to failure? All advice is appreciated and I’ll make sure to keep track of the thread this time!

How much to do weigh? Are you big enough to worry about a pec imbalance?

210 @ 15%±. I’m really not sure where I am bf wise but i think 15 is about right. Don’t worry I’m not some 150lb 16 year old with 9" arms lol. It is quite noticeable to me and some people. When I wear a t-shirt the difference in size is quite apparent.

I guess you could try pre-fatiguing with cable fly or DB fly then move on to DB bench press.

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2235209

Hey OP,

I’ve been having the same problem for quite some time, and it’s interfered with heavy benching to the point where I haven’t been able to bench for 3 months now. (Pec strain on the strong side :confused: )

Well, after much troubleshooting, I’ve found a fairly reliable process for correcting the imbalance:

1. Check for unilateral triceps strength imbalances
  2. Do pushups with elbows tucked to sides
    -This does an excellent job of making sure that everything is firing correctly. I feel DOMS in the weaker(smaller) pec and not the other pec after doing these, which clearly shows they’re doing some good.
  3. As said before, focus on the mind muscle connection
  4. Do some unilateral DB work, and don’t let the DB drift over to allow your tricep to take over on unilateral DB presses.

I hope this helps

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
you could really try working on your mind-muscle connection with you and that weak muscle…really focus on that muscle while performing the exercise.

I believe i read somewhere here on this site that a lagging body part is the cause of the nervous system not causing that muscle to fire at it’s fullest. you could improve it by improving the mind-muscle connection, or working that muscle out more frequently[/quote]

I think this guy is on the right track to begin with.

If you can’t feel a pec working to it’s full potential compared to the other it’s most definitely an imbalance in your back/shoulders.

From what I’ve researched, the most common effect on creating a pec size imbalance is when someone carries a heavy bag on one shoulder for a period of time.

I still can’t find out what the protocol is for fixing said problem though…

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
If you can’t feel a pec working to it’s full potential compared to the other it’s most definitely an imbalance in your back/shoulders.

From what I’ve researched, the most common effect on creating a pec size imbalance is when someone carries a heavy bag on one shoulder for a period of time.

I still can’t find out what the protocol is for fixing said problem though…[/quote]

Where has this guy written that he can’t feel his pec working? His concern seems to be completely cosmetic. Are you all reading posts I can’t see?

I’ve had a mild case of pectoral imbalance. What I did to make it less noticeable is I worked only the imbalanced pec the next workout session. After that, increased the focus of my movements, which has been mentioned earlier.