T Nation

Pec Inflammation

When doing any sort of pressing motion, except OH, I often get pain in my right pec at the breastbone tie in. My GP has told me its an inflammation that just has to go away on its own. So, (1) is he an idiot? (2) any one ever have this and how do you get rid of it? I’ve had this for at least a year and it has decreased somewhat but it just won’t go away.

Anyone?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Could be the early stages of costochondritis where the cartilaginous areas of the ribcage begin to calcify slowly.

Have a read and see what you think.

BBB[/quote]

I remember the doctor calling it the Tietze Syndrome, as the article discusses. The pain comes and goes, so its not the costo (according to the article).

Will read some more. Many thanks, Bushido!

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
When doing any sort of pressing motion, except OH, I often get pain in my right pec at the breastbone tie in. My GP has told me its an inflammation that just has to go away on its own. So, (1) is he an idiot? (2) any one ever have this and how do you get rid of it? I’ve had this for at least a year and it has decreased somewhat but it just won’t go away.

Anyone?[/quote]

Is it a constant pain or does just hurt when you exercise?

I get like a semi-sharp pain in that area, and sometimes it hurts when I breathe. It usually goes away after a day or two.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
When doing any sort of pressing motion, except OH, I often get pain in my right pec at the breastbone tie in. My GP has told me its an inflammation that just has to go away on its own. So, (1) is he an idiot? (2) any one ever have this and how do you get rid of it? I’ve had this for at least a year and it has decreased somewhat but it just won’t go away.

Anyone?

Is it a constant pain or does just hurt when you exercise?

I get like a semi-sharp pain in that area, and sometimes it hurts when I breathe. It usually goes away after a day or two.[/quote]

It hurts when exercising and then sometimes hang around a while. Its always in one spot where my right pec attaches to the breastbone. Went to the doc thinking I was having a heart attack and he chuckled after I described it. He said if it was my heart I’d be in sheer agony.

It has become more localised over the past couple of months but won’t go away. Tried hot pads and massage…maybe accupuncture??

Can’t do burpees or bench w/o firing it up.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:
Could be the early stages of costochondritis where the cartilaginous areas of the ribcage begin to calcify slowly.

Have a read and see what you think.

BBB

I remember the doctor calling it the Tietze Syndrome, as the article discusses. The pain comes and goes, so its not the costo (according to the article).

Will read some more. Many thanks, Bushido!

NO worries.

Anyway, I didn’t read the whole article, but what I got from it was that the differential diagnosis is that Tietze is distinguished by a noticeable inflammation, whereas costo has no inflammation. I did not see anything about intermittent symptoms being the hallmark of one or the other diseases.

BBB[/quote]

When I read the Tietze, it triggered my memory of what he called it. Going to research that.

Getting old sucks but the alternative is worse! ;>