Peanut Butter-Mistake or Miracle?

Testy1,

This site says exactly the opposite.

““Soft margarines are not fully hydrogenated and contain fewer trans fats.””

I definitely recall the nutrition prof. at college explaining that ALL hydrogenated oils are trans-fats.

I did find more resources that support the claim in the original link that fully-hydrogenated oils are “OK” and don’t contain trans-fat. A “trans-fat” is just a double C bond though…

Anyway, I aint eatin it!

Now that I think about it, any oil that is transformed from it’s natural CIS formation to a double C bond is by definition a trans-fat.

If this is incorrect someone please enlighten me.

An unsaturated fat that is 100% hydrogenated becomes a saturated fat.

Unsaturated fats that are partially hydrogenated (almost all the hydrogenated fats in food) still have some double bonds left in the chain.

Before the hydrogenation process, all double bonds are cis bonds. The process of hydrogenation changes about 2/3 of these bonds from cis to trans.

So fully hydrogenated fats (which are a small fraction of the hydrogenated oils you see) are not trans fats (because a trans bond requires a point of unsaturation) but they are saturated fats. Since vegetable oils aren’t great to start with, and since we probably get plenty of saturated fats to start with, I’d say don’t expect to get anything but bad from any kind of hydrogenated oil.

If its really stiff, take off the top and put it in the microwave for 30-90 seconds. It acually reccomends that on one of the glass jar types I get sometimes.

I use all natural peanut butter. It lists two ingredients, peanuts and salt.

I mix it up with a large spoon and store it in the fridge. Some separation occurs, but a quick stir before serving takes care of it.

Here are a few things I use as my last feeding of the day.

Shakes ~58 grams of protein
16 ounces Hood
1 scoops Metabolic Drive
2 tablespoons serving natural peanut butter
1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese

16 ounces Hood
1 scoops Metabolic Drive
1/4 cup walnuts
1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese

Pudding ~150 grams of protein
24 ounces Hood
6 tablespoons natural peanut butter
1-1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
3 scoops Metabolic Drive
Blend well in blender and pour in a large mixing bowl
Mix in package of fat free, sugar free chocolate pudding mix

Christopher

This is the best peanut butter I have had.

http://kremaproducts.com/products.asp?dept=3

It mixes well, tastes great, and stays mixed if you keep it in the refrigerator. It also has nothing in it other than peanuts.

Years ago I read the “Ripped” series by Clarence Bass and he recommended natural peanut butter sandwiches as part of his diet regime. The guy got down to 2.4%bf eating peanut butter sandwiches for lunch.

Why not just use Almond Butter? A bit less protein, yeah, but from what I’ve read, it’s better for you (tastes pretty damn good too, IMHO).

[quote]rockytop8888 wrote:
Why not just use Almond Butter? A bit less protein, yeah, but from what I’ve read, it’s better for you (tastes pretty damn good too, IMHO).[/quote]

i love almond butter…but it can get up to $15/lb.

Some pnut butter contains other oils and fats. They take out the pnut oil and put in other oils.

Peanut Butter is sort of like the plague.

Natural4Life.

[quote]swivel wrote:
rockytop8888 wrote:
Why not just use Almond Butter? A bit less protein, yeah, but from what I’ve read, it’s better for you (tastes pretty damn good too, IMHO).

[/quote]

I’ve been interested in makeing my own ‘Nut’ Butter.

Put a mix of peanuts, almonds, cashews, walnuts, and whatever else might taste good in the blender, some salt and you’ve got your own, home made, natural custom, healthy nut butter. So you know its healthy. If you get really crazy, you could add protein powder and mabey some type of oil to keep it smoother/softer/whatever.

[quote]Nomancer wrote:
swivel wrote:
rockytop8888 wrote:

I’ve been interested in makeing my own ‘Nut’ Butter.

Put a mix of peanuts, almonds, cashews, walnuts, and whatever else might taste good in the blender, some salt and you’ve got your own, home made, natural custom, healthy nut butter. So you know its healthy. If you get really crazy, you could add protein powder and mabey some type of oil to keep it smoother/softer/whatever.[/quote]

I make it for Catherine. :wink:

Christopher

What do you put in the mix?

[quote]oboffill wrote:
0.9 banana [/quote]

LOL; I cant believe no one else picked up on the 0.9 banana…was that Federov?? memory is a bit hazy I guess.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Peanut’s are actually beans. Beans + grains = complete protein. In other words, a pb&j will give you the protein you need to sustain life… if it ever comes to that.[/quote]

Hey congrats! You passed first grade! J/k…all jokes aside though, sustaining life and building muscle are light years apart. 40g of protein a day will also “sustain life”. Yet some of us would lose 1/2-1 pound of muscle a day on that level.

[quote]Snoop wrote:
oboffill wrote:
0.9 banana

LOL; I cant believe no one else picked up on the 0.9 banana…was that Federov?? memory is a bit hazy I guess.[/quote]

lol i was thinking as i read that, “what the hell, .9 banana?”

[quote]itsthetimman wrote:
Hawkson101 wrote:
No Im not talking about el natural peanut, Im talking about your JIFFY, your Skppy, and Of Course, your favorite man In tights-Peter Pan. They have roughly 6 grams of carbs per serving(just two spoonfulls is a serving right?). With the fat content and protein content, can this food be considered in line with Berardis P+F meal?

IS protein GREAT? Or is it NOT SO GREAT? Also, I have been making my last meal of the day peanut butter, cottage cheese and some fish pills. Good choice?

Dude, it has the word butter in it. According to regulations set forth by the USDA or whoever makes the food pyramid, butter = use sparingly. Instead, I’d suggest you eat 1 loaf of bread to get your extra calories!

In all seriousness, attempt to get the natural PB, they really don’t taste any different and are much better for you (we really don’t know the levels of hydrogenated oils). I know they run specials on certain Skippy Natural all the time at stores around me.[/quote]

I tried natural PB and hated it, just couldn’t get over the whole taste/oil thing, but this stuff is great:

http://www.peanutbutter.com/natural.asp