T Nation

Peanut Butter Allergy. Alternatives?

Hi guys

As the subject describes I've realized that I'm allergic to peanut butter. My eyes are itching like crazy and turns red and waterish. That sucks, for several reasons. It's tasty and made up a good deal of my before bedtime bulking shakes with fromage frais 18%, raspberries/blackberies, protein powder and good chunk of peanut butter. Very delicious and adds some good calories.

So what would be a good alternative? Just pour in some good olive oil...? Even though the taste would not be as good.

almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower seed butter, etc. Alot of those are expensive to buy, if you can find them at all. I bought a food processor and make my own.

You could do olive oil, but it would have to be light so that it would have no taste.

Yea.. cashew nutts are also really expensive here. I already have a food processor, so perhaps almonds would be a good idea, they are way cheaper than cashew nutts, but not quite as tasty though. Not too sure if I'm allergic to almonds in big amounts as well. Could be the case... guess I'll have to try and see.

Considering that peanuts are not actually nuts, there would be no correlation between a peanut allergy and a tree nut allergy. Almond butter is the way to go.

Ok you're all set then. If you buy raw almonds, just bake them at 350 degrees F for 8 minutes. Don't let them bake for too long, because they continue cooking in their own oils after you take them out of the oven. Then just process with the food processor until it has the right consistency. It may take ten or so minutes.

They make sunbutter from sunflower seeds which is really good.

Use coconut milk - will give your shake a great texture too.

just discovered this delight a few months ago. when i'm at hoem i make almost all my shakes with half water adn half unsweetened coconut milk... makes it super creamy and delicious.