T Nation

Peaking for Powerlifting


#1

The 531 for Powerlifting has peaking cycles set up with a deload every 4 weeks or after every cycle. How would you set up a peaking plan with a deload every 7 weeks or after every 2 cycles?


#2

If you’re interested in peaking for powerlifting, you might want to check out the Strength Challenge on page 88 of Beyond 531. It is an excellent write-up that explains exactly what you need to do to peak, with every step along the way.

I found the “for Powerlifting” book in general was poorly written by comparison.


#3

[quote]DanProsser wrote:
If you’re interested in peaking for powerlifting, you might want to check out the Strength Challenge on page 88 of Beyond 531. It is an excellent write-up that explains exactly what you need to do to peak, with every step along the way.

I found the “for Powerlifting” book in general was poorly written by comparison.[/quote]
Yea I saw the Strength Challenge. That is also set up with a deload every fourth week.


#4

[quote]Randy Tongue wrote:
The 531 for Powerlifting has peaking cycles set up with a deload every 4 weeks or after every cycle. How would you set up a peaking plan with a deload every 7 weeks or after every 2 cycles?[/quote]

I’ve used the BBB 13-week challenge to get ready for my last 3 meets, and it has worked out well for me with meet PR’s each time (especially with deadlift). I train the first 6 weeks, attempt a 1-rep PR on the unload week 7 with very light assistance work, then train through the next 6 weeks with the heavier assistance percentages. I leave room for my 1’s week to time up with the week of the meet (not actually lifting much that week–saving it for saturday), knowing I will have my usual 1’s week power in the tank on meet day.

Not for everybody, and I kept with 5/3/1 weeks as opposed to the 3/5/1 option in the powerlifting version, but if you respond well to high volumes, this is definitely something to think about.


#5

[quote]Randy Tongue wrote:

[quote]DanProsser wrote:
If you’re interested in peaking for powerlifting, you might want to check out the Strength Challenge on page 88 of Beyond 531. It is an excellent write-up that explains exactly what you need to do to peak, with every step along the way.

I found the “for Powerlifting” book in general was poorly written by comparison.[/quote]
Yea I saw the Strength Challenge. That is also set up with a deload every fourth week.[/quote]

Just run it with two phases back to back. Hell, I would almost just run the whole thing through and then deload after it’s done. It’s really up to you.