Pea Protein Isolate

Hey Guys,

Anybody know anything about Pea Protein Isolate? Does it have any of the same problems associated with Soy Protein? I’m asking because I’m tossing around an idea of an intra-workout cocktail that contains it due to its price and arginine content are both huge positives as an intra workout protein? Also from what I have read its pretty quick digestion wise and really easy on the stomach.

[quote]Jbrew wrote:
Does it have any of the same problems associated with Soy Protein?[/quote]

I’m guessing you mean in terms of phytoestrogens. I haven’t heard of any issues related to pea protein, no.

Arginine is beneficial? Survey says… no, not really.

I don’t think there’s been any recent research to contradict what Barr was talking about there.

Pea protein is popular among vegetarian/vegan athletes (rice protein seems to be more popular), but I’ve never tried pea protein myself. I did use rice protein during my two month vegetarian/vegan experiment and wasn’t enthused by the taste/texture (very chalky), but it did seem to seem lightly on my stomach.

Not sure how it compares to other protein sources, but I tried the Olympian Labs product and I’ll warn you that it was the most foul tasty protein powder I have ever tried. I really am not picky about much, but that stuff had me gagging and no amount of anything I put in it made it taste better.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
I did use rice protein during my two month vegetarian/vegan experiment and wasn’t enthused by the taste/texture (very chalky), but it did seem to seem lightly on my stomach.[/quote]

I currently use rice protein on occasion and have found the same. I haven’t compared it to whey as far as the profile goes, but at 12 grams per 2 level tablespoons, it seems a good comparable alternative. I’m concerned about how things effect my stomach as well, and rice is mild.

I’d like to look into the pea protein. All things being equal, I’d go with the better value, of course.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

I did use rice protein during my two month vegetarian/vegan experiment and wasn’t enthused by the taste/texture (very chalky), but it did seem to seem lightly on my stomach.[/quote]

I currently use rice protein on occasion and have found the same. I haven’t compared it to whey as far as the profile goes, but at 12 grams per 2 level tablespoons, it seems a good comparable alternative. I’m concerned about how things effect my stomach as well, and rice is mild.

I’d like to look into the pea protein. All things being equal, I’d go with the better value, of course.
[/quote]
The one I’m looking at is NOW foods the price is $16.99 for 2lbs and has 28 grams of protein and 2000mg of Arginine per scoop. Pretty good value if I could find a way to kill the taste.

[quote]Jbrew wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]
The one I’m looking at is NOW foods the price is $16.99 for 2lbs and has 28 grams of protein and 2000mg of Arginine per scoop. Pretty good value if I could find a way to kill the taste.[/quote]

28 grams sounds good! I assume it’s got a complete amino acid profile?
I’ll look that stuff up!

Thanks JB.