T Nation

PC Error - Help

I realize T-Nation isn’t the first place people normally look for computer technical help, but I’ve searched all kinds of forums and can’t get anywhere. It will cost about $300 to send it in for repair, so I wanted to see if anyone has ever encountered this problem.

My PC was running slow. I ran disk cleanup and disk defrag to see if that would help at all. After that finished, I tried logging into my email. For some reason the “s” key would not work. So I reboot my PC and it goes to an error screen. The error says:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I called tech support and he told me to tap F8 so I can select the option ‘Last Known Good Configuration’. Problem is, my keyboard does not work now. I switched out the keyboard with a different one, same problem - none of the keys work. It looks as if the computer does not recognize the keyboard or the mouse because the red light under the mouse does not light up any more.

The weird thing is, as soon as I hit the power button on my PC, the caps lock, number lock, and scroll lock lights on the keyboard all light up for a second and then go off. Then none of the keys work at all.

Any ideas?

Did you post this by mind power if the keyboard is broken?

I can’t help you. Consider this a bump.

I am no computer whiz, but I may be able to point you in the right direction.

In regards, to your keyboard problem,
“I’m guessing you have a usb keyboard. The drivers don’t have a chance to load. Try hooking up a standard PS2 keyboard and you should be able to use it then to try the solutions in the other post.”

This is the forum I found that on;

http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/ntoskrnl-exe-corrupted-need-help-badly-t41528.html

If that doesn’t fix your keyboard problem I don’t know what to tell ya.

If that fixes your keyboard problem then this forum may solve your problem

http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/ntoskrnl-exe-corrupted-windows-wont-open-t24580.html

Quick suggestion its almost 2 in the morning here and I am real tired but just double read this link I searched for: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

Also, not sure if your computer came with the cd it is asking for, the one that has a backup of everything including the operating system and a backup copy of all the files in your pc and its not the recovery cd. I can’t remember what it’s called. What brand is you computer?

And the $300 charge is BS. I know it will take less than 10 minutes to fix it if you take it to Best Buy or some computer guy. I know you can fix it yourself, don’t give up. But try to find/get that cd I mentioned.

Lots of good pointers already here and I’m totally with Jetric on the $300 bullshit.

The fact that your keyboard lights flash may well mean your keyboard is fine - do you know how to get into the bios of your machine? Usually tapping the delete key or F2 will get you in. This is all before Windows tries to start up so anything dodgy that is loading and stopping your keyboard from working won’t be loaded.

If your keyboard is OK for getting into the bios and moving about the menu’s then I suspect you will need a Windows boot disk.

Boot from this and as long as your keyboard is still working you can get to the command line recovery console and run chkdsk C: /p

This will look for and repair corruption on your drive and may be all you need to get back in to your OS.

Last - makes sure there is no “key catcher” attached to your keyboard. A key catcher is a little device that records all keystrokes.

Edit to say - nevermind.
Just read your post where you have switched out the keyboard :>)

Why not just go into the device manager and removed the keyboard and mouse and reboot and see if the driver gets reloaded. That could be your problem right there.

[quote]dirtbag wrote:
Why not just go into the device manager and removed the keyboard and mouse and reboot and see if the driver gets reloaded. That could be your problem right there.[/quote]

========================================
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

And if the keyboard aint working safe mode is gonna be tricky.

Good call though for any device that stops working.

[quote]dirtbag wrote:
Why not just go into the device manager and removed the keyboard and mouse and reboot and see if the driver gets reloaded. That could be your problem right there.[/quote]

I can’t get to the device manager. When I turn on the computer, it goes to that error message right away.

I tried unplugging the keyboard and mouse, but I get the same error even if they’re not attached.

The keyboard I have is a PS2 port, not a USB port.

I tried tapping the function key and holding down it while the computer was being turned on, but nothing works.

Thanks for the help.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
dirtbag wrote:
Why not just go into the device manager and removed the keyboard and mouse and reboot and see if the driver gets reloaded. That could be your problem right there.

I can’t get to the device manager. When I turn on the computer, it goes to that error message right away.

I tried unplugging the keyboard and mouse, but I get the same error even if they’re not attached.

The keyboard I have is a PS2 port, not a USB port.

I tried tapping the function key and holding down it while the computer was being turned on, but nothing works.

Thanks for the help.[/quote]

Perhaps your PS2 port is screwing around - try getting a PS2 to USB converter or a USB keyboard.

I’ll give that a shot and see what happens.