PB2 Alternative

I recently tried PB2 and I liked the taste but, at the price it is sold I do not think I will try it again. However, I got to thinking is PB2 just packaged defatted peanut flour? If you do some quick searches online you can see blog postings of peanut flour paste and it looks just like PB2 and at $22 for 5 lbs it is a great deal.

I have never heard of this until now.
First website I found will sell you powdered Peanut butter and peanut oil. Surprise!

Approximately $4 per jar
Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, sugar, and salt.
Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
Servings per container: 15

(Value and % Daily Value)

Calories: 45
Calories from fat: 13
Total fat: 1.5 g 2%
Saturated fat: 0 g 0%
Trans fat: <0.01 g
Cholesterol: <0.01 mg 0%
Sodium: 94 mg 4%
Total carbohydrates: 5 g 2%
Dietary fiber: 2 g 8%
Sugars: 1 g
Protein: 5 g
Vitamin A: <1%
Vitamin C: 0%
Calcium: <1%
Iron: 0%

Bump–has anyone looked into this? This actually sounds like a really good idea. I would love to buy PB2, but good god is it expensive.

Since my earlier post here I have tried PB2.
I add it to chocolate protein powder and it tastes good.
Not going to buy any more after this jar though, not worth the money IMO.

i think this would work well for me.

i dont even buy peanut butter any more bc when I open a jar, its gone in a couple hours

[quote]JLone wrote:
[/quote]

Well, I wasn’t all that interested in PB2 bc of the expense–I was interested in the OP’s idea of just buying defatted peanut flour.

Anyone tried that/have any thoughts on it?

[quote]JLone wrote:
[/quote]

how does it compare to real PB?

[quote]MAF14 wrote:
how does it compare to real PB?[/quote]
Not as potent of a taste. 2Tb of regular PB and you can taste it in a shake all the way through. With PB2 it just had a hint of Peanut butter taste on the end. (IMO)

I would guess that most of the flavor is transferred in the oil of something.
^^^Super scientific explanation^^^

How long does a jar last you? It’s just so freaking expensive, and it looks like you can buy, as the OP said, 5lb bags of the other stuff. I just wonder whether anyone’s given that a shot.

PB2 plus oatmeal and or greek yogurt is one of the most deliciosu things ever. But it is expensive so an alternative would be great

I have never tried it by itself as PB only in those two examples and in cooking protein cookies
and making pancakes as well very good

^No-bake Protein cookies with the added PB2.
Now that idea might be worth the extra cost as the cookies are usually too gooey.

I will try it and report back.

I tried it and is taste the same. Obviously it does not compare to full fat peanut butter but, it is great for cravings. The peanut flour paste looks similar to this.

Was that with PB2 or peanut flour? and if it was peanut flower with reduced fat

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
Was that with PB2 or peanut flour? and if it was peanut flower with reduced fat[/quote]

It was dark roast peanut flour. I am pretty sure all peanut flour is defatted either fully or partially.

where did you get it from? and how much did it cost

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
Was that with PB2 or peanut flour? and if it was peanut flower with reduced fat[/quote]

It was dark roast peanut flour. I am pretty sure all peanut flour is defatted either fully or partially. [/quote]

This is the sort of info I’m interested in–like the last poster, I’d also like to know where you got it from.

I got mine from Byrdmill. 5 LB Peanut Flour Dark (1/4 cup Calories 100, fat 3g, Carbs 7g, Fiber 3g, Pro 12g) $22.45 but, you can find it anywhere online localharvest.org sells it as well the same one trader joes sold but, cheaper.

[quote]JLone wrote:
[/quote]

PB2 Chocolate is also da bomb when added into choc/pbutter protein by Dymatize. Tastes better than real p/butter!!! Mix the two w/a little bit of water or s/free almond milk and spread on a choc rice cake.