Paying 4 My Mistakes, Hip Injury

Hey guys got a small problem here that I just noticed about 8 months ago, but I am too scared to get it looked at. No, its not some weird rash or strange urin color, it has to do with my left leg and hip. Let me do the best I can in explaining what exactly is going on with the both of them.

First off my left leg is longer than my right leg at least an inch and my hip sometimes feels like its on fire.

To give you guys some idea of where the pain sometimes is, sit down with your left hand under you left glute, that bone that can be felt sometimes is on fire. Around Thanksgiving I woke up and it felt out of place and so I stood up on my left leg planted my left foot and rotated and the hip joint snapped, it sounded and I am not joking when I say this, like a chicken or turkey leg being pulled from its socket.

I think the injury’s origin came from an accident that happened when I was 17 years old over 10 years ago.

Some history that could help you all diagnose the problem. I worked all summer to build up my vertical and to finally do something I desired to do so much and that was dunk a basketball. I wanted to come in and show up at the end of summer baskerball tryouts and blow their minds with the progress I had made.I worked and saved for some strength shoes, got them shortly before the summer and vowed by the end of summer this white boy would get on up above the rim. What I am about to tell you only happens in the movies and to me.

A whole summer filled with stair running lots of spriting and levy running all lead to a goal being achieved.

Now I accomplished just what I set out to do, but something bad happened that afternoon right before summer tryouts for the team were held. It was getting dark and I had been doing some sprints in my strength shoes in my back yard, so as I got done I said one dunk for the road before I head on in for the night. So there I go I take off to the goal jump up SLAM the ball and on the way down I land in a slight dip in the ground. I land all my weight on my left leg, starting with my toes rolled my ankle completely over 90 degrees, tear every ligament and muscle in my foot and ankle.

Wait there is more, the chaos continues to my knee it buckles side ways, and then I felt a huge pull in my hip socket. My parents rush me to the emergency room, I am crying not cause of the pain but because my dreams were over and I knew it. They cut my shoe off cause that is how bad the swelling got on the way. Long story short I think now ten years later this injury has come to bite my in my rear, literally.

My mom and sis swear by chiropractors, and that is their answer, but as for me I’m a little skittish about these guys. I thought about a doctor but I dont want to hear the word SURGERY or worse HIP REPLACMENT. Someone, anyone tell me what this sounds like and where I should go to get this checked.

It does’nt hurt all the time maybe once every 3 months, but still I’m just a weeeeeee bit worried about it. I worry what it will like another 10 years down the road if left unattended. By the way the pain stops when I supplement with flame out,so i can gather some inflamation problems, but the popping never stops.

I would also like someone to tell me if its a good idea to stop focusing on lifting and go start some serious form conditioning. Maybe that would help. I don’t really know what to do. Maybe buying magnificent mobility and work on my posture and other key areas that influence the way I sit or stand.

Just really at a loss for words and answers for once in my life.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

See a doctor.

You need a good orthopeadic (not mine, he’s an asshole and he’ll never see me again). You’re looking at surgery sound like to me, but I ain’t no Dr. Really, you need to get it checked out. The older you get the harder it is to heal.

[quote]Test-one wrote:
Hey guys got a small problem here that I just noticed about 8 months ago, but I am too scared to get it looked at. No, its not some weird rash or strange urin color, it has to do with my left leg and hip. Let me do the best I can in explaining what exactly is going on with the both of them.

First off my left leg is longer than my right leg at least an inch and my hip sometimes feels like its on fire.

To give you guys some idea of where the pain sometimes is, sit down with your left hand under you left glute, that bone that can be felt sometimes is on fire. Around Thanksgiving I woke up and it felt out of place and so I stood up on my left leg planted my left foot and rotated and the hip joint snapped, it sounded and I am not joking when I say this, like a chicken or turkey leg being pulled from its socket.

I think the injury’s origin came from an accident that happened when I was 17 years old over 10 years ago.

Some history that could help you all diagnose the problem. I worked all summer to build up my vertical and to finally do something I desired to do so much and that was dunk a basketball. I wanted to come in and show up at the end of summer baskerball tryouts and blow their minds with the progress I had made.I worked and saved for some strength shoes, got them shortly before the summer and vowed by the end of summer this white boy would get on up above the rim. What I am about to tell you only happens in the movies and to me.

A whole summer filled with stair running lots of spriting and levy running all lead to a goal being achieved.

Now I accomplished just what I set out to do, but something bad happened that afternoon right before summer tryouts for the team were held. It was getting dark and I had been doing some sprints in my strength shoes in my back yard, so as I got done I said one dunk for the road before I head on in for the night. So there I go I take off to the goal jump up SLAM the ball and on the way down I land in a slight dip in the ground. I land all my weight on my left leg, starting with my toes rolled my ankle completely over 90 degrees, tear every ligament and muscle in my foot and ankle.

Wait there is more, the chaos continues to my knee it buckles side ways, and then I felt a huge pull in my hip socket. My parents rush me to the emergency room, I am crying not cause of the pain but because my dreams were over and I knew it. They cut my shoe off cause that is how bad the swelling got on the way. Long story short I think now ten years later this injury has come to bite my in my rear, literally.

My mom and sis swear by chiropractors, and that is their answer, but as for me I’m a little skittish about these guys. I thought about a doctor but I dont want to hear the word SURGERY or worse HIP REPLACMENT. Someone, anyone tell me what this sounds like and where I should go to get this checked.

It does’nt hurt all the time maybe once every 3 months, but still I’m just a weeeeeee bit worried about it. I worry what it will like another 10 years down the road if left unattended. By the way the pain stops when I supplement with flame out,so i can gather some inflamation problems, but the popping never stops.

I would also like someone to tell me if its a good idea to stop focusing on lifting and go start some serious form conditioning. Maybe that would help. I don’t really know what to do. Maybe buying magnificent mobility and work on my posture and other key areas that influence the way I sit or stand.

Just really at a loss for words and answers for once in my life.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

[/quote]

Don’t jump into surgery even if a doctor recommends it. Start with your mobility, posture plan, Give that at least a 6 month try.

Hey my mistakes when i first weight lifted,
1: i didnt breath when i lifted, didnt stretch
2: i did alot of weight and moved up way to quick
3: i went every day for 4 to 5 hrs
4: i did everything every day
5: i never gave my muscles a break
End result i gave my self a Hernia and life long of wrist problems and have to wear gloves that support them…

Now i breath, stretch, cardio and i do advance excercise for my abs to build muscle where my hernia is… if u want to know what i do for my abs just message me…
~Mike~

Dude don’t be stupid and let that just stay there. For all you know, by putting it off for so long(or if you put it off longer) it will get worse and maybe you will require surgery. Try to nip this in the ass(no pun intended) before it turns into something worse. Get that checked out!

Lined up x-rays for monday.

Can’t wait how that will turn out.

I just dont want to hear the word “surgery”.

I guess I’ll see come monday, thanks for the tips guys.

[quote]Test-one wrote:

[/quote]

Good luck. Keep us posted on the results.

[quote]Test-one wrote:

[/quote]

Sorry to spoil your hope. X-rays aren’t going to tell you a thing. It’s just a procedure for them to bill.

[quote]on edge wrote:
Test-one wrote:

Sorry to spoil your hope. X-rays aren’t going to tell you a thing. It’s just a procedure for them to bill.[/quote]

Well, they should be able to tell him whether it’s a joint problem or not. If he’s got limited spacing between the joint, is bone on bone or has bone spurs, they can see all of that on x-rays. If not, then he can proceed with rehabbing the muscles around the joint.

To the OP, I hope surgery is not necessary. It sounds like you’re young though – if surgery does become the only option look into hip resurfacing. Many traditional orthopods will pooh pooh it, but it’s a good option for younger patients. Hopefully the x-rays will come back negative and you can deal with this through other means.

First and foremost, go to a sports doctor. If you have a pro team (football, e.g.) in your city, call them up and ask who their team seems locally. Failing that, find a college with a good athletic program and ask who sees their varsity sports teams.

DO NOT accept lay definitions from the web – that goes from me or anyone else. The purpose is to compare stories so you can get it all straight when you talk to a professional.

What you describe sounds like a couple of separate issues. First off, the above pains sound like ischial tuberosity pain. Look at http://www.caringmedical.com/conditions/Ischial_Tuberosity_Pain.htm.

You’ll be happy to know that this is not the end of the world – far from it. Possible explanation is that your leg length difference puts the ligaments under more strain so you get inflammation or even a low grade chronic pull.

The original injury might play a role in your hip issue, but hips are pretty hard to trash, unlike shoulders, knees elbows and such. I doubt your injury did any damage to the hip. You leg length issue is probably to culprit. I can see that you might have sprained one of the ligaments attaching to the tuberosity and it pops just like a knuckle. I get that too and its a damn big joint to pop. Sounds and feels much scarier than it is.

Now, as far as hip problems, I win. I have a type of artificial hip called a Birmingham Hip Resurfacing (BHR). I have no post-op restrictions, save bungee jumping.

Yes I lift and I do martial arts (jujutsu) very actively. A standard total hip replacement (THR) is to be avoided at your age since that is for very old people and has extremely severe restrictions for the rest of your life (as in never pick up anything that weighs more than 20 lbs. I’m serious.)

You may or may not have an issue with the hip joint itself – your post does not really imply that (though I suspect your ankle & knee will be a problem in the future). Still, get evaluated and check up on it from time to time. A BHR is only as good as the bone stock it is attached to and in extreme cases your pelvis will decalcify as part of osteoarthritis, precluding an implant. said more plainly, waiting would be a bad mistake.

Oh, chiropractic is ok for getting out aches and pains, but completely worthless for mechanical issues. Don’t ever let one set your neck.

Write me if you have questions. I have a website chronicalling my hip problems and rehab. I’ve also been on Fox News and NBC discussing it and was recently featured in the NY Times too. Point is I am a very valuable resource for any athlete who has hip issues and am more than happy to discuss it. However, there are a lot of assholes on T-Nation so I don’t like posting too much directly about myself.

Good Luck,

jj