T Nation

Pavel's Naked Warrior

[quote]ZEB wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

That didn’t even cost $39.95…and was a good summary.

One arm pushups are good shits. Just read the book in the bookstore, it’ll only take you a couple minutes to get the ideas.

You forgot something very important: You must squeeze your butt cheeks together tightly.

:slight_smile:
[/quote]

The squeezing of the butt cheeks can be an important and overlooked way to learn to keep the body tight. I know you’re saying this in jest, but some people need to be reminded of the little things like this.

As far as the book, it’s average. It has some good ideas to help you prgress in two exercises, but only two exercises. On the subject of Pavel, he seems like a bright guy with some good ideas, but overhyped seems like an accurate way to describe him. Comrade is a stupid and overused term (but like someone else said, I feel the same way about “T-Man”).

Anyway, hey, origianl poster: I have the book and if you are really interested in it, and are willing to pay shipping, I will send it to you to look at. PM me if interested.

[quote]Like FightingIrish said, people get put off with the hype and price, but Pavel does have good ideas.

If you’re doing single leg/single arm work, yes, I think you can “feel” stronger because these types of exercises work the stabilizer muscles. A couple of winters ago I did some “grease the groove” stuff doing pistols to a bench (which is what Pavel recommends you start with to learn the pistol) and felt stronger and more stable when I went skiing. However, this really didn’t improve my strength in the squat.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
I swear that I read something from one of the trainers on this site, or someone around here, that powerlifting can take such a toll on your body (in the joints and what not) that switching to a bodyweight scheme makes one feel better simply because they aren’t working the same three lifts constantly.

It gives old injuries a chance to heal, being as the dynamics of the exercises performed are different, and there isn’t so much strain from constantly going for a heavy single every other day.

And, as always, Pavel does have good ideas, and I won’t argue with his theories; however, I argue with his price and his hype (I think Zeb is the same way).

I’m still working up to one arm pushups on the ground, and I am down to about two feet off the ground (doing them off a bench). It made me realize my triceps are weaker than I thought they were. Keep at it!

You were probably not squeezing your butt cheeks tight enough…See that’s the problem. When I squeeze my butt cheeks really really tight I can get 20 with either arm.

[/quote]

Dammit! Knew I forgot somethin…

I’ve read practically everything Pavel has written, and while he has some of his own sacred cows and dogma, he is an excellent resource for pure strength training.

I don’t know why he gets such a bad wrap. He’s got a gimmick, so what? No one here hates on Alwyn Cosgrove because he’s got his evil scottish gimmick going on.

Seriously, my own progress was stalled in the gym until I read Power to the People.[FYI: I had not yet discovered T-Nation] It made sense to me, and I applied it to my training, and I started making progress again. I apply many of the principles that Pavel talks about in my daily training. Do I feel ripped off because I paid $35 for PTP? Absolutely not.

Now, Kettlebells continue to get a bad rap as well. Again, I don’t understand why. Yes, essentially they are weights with handles, and they can’t do everything. However, for many people who don’t fit the mold of bodybuilders and powerlifters(or don’t want to), they are a great tool for general fitness. I use them as well, and my goals are more strength + hypertrophy. However, I also use free weights. Kettlebells aren’t cheap, but many of us spend insane amounts of money on supplements and equipment anyway, so if someone wants to buy one, big deal.

Ok, rant over.

[quote]ah_dut wrote:
If you find it too easy from the floor, try it with one leg…or raise yourself up. Or simply do one arm divebomber pressups…both are hard but achievable…

I can do 3 one arm one leg pressups with my feet on my bed but I’m nowhere near a one arm chin[/quote]

Thanks for the advice:) What is a divebomber pressup? I’m afraid I’m not familiar with this exercise. And what do you mean by “with one leg”? If I’m doing pushups with my right arm to support myself with my left leg only?

[quote]bogyman wrote:

Thanks for the advice:) What is a divebomber pressup? I’m afraid I’m not familiar with this exercise.
[/quote]

A version of the hindu pushup. The only difference being that you just return the same way back to the starting position instead of simply moving your butt up.

Loppar

Check out Ross Enamait if you are interested in bodyweight stuff. I just got his Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness book and its pretty good. Lotsa bodyeight excercises, plus routines and nutrition stuff.

His customer service is really good. I emailed him about some questions before i bought the book and he responded promptly.

anton

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:

Beyond Bodybuilding, however, is a great book. Definitely worth buying.

[/quote]

Yes definately. One of the better strength training books out there. It’s packed with great info, not mainstream run-of-the-mill crap.

disclaimer this is not coming from a “Pavel groupie.”

[quote]bogyman wrote:
ah_dut wrote:
If you find it too easy from the floor, try it with one leg…or raise yourself up. Or simply do one arm divebomber pressups…both are hard but achievable…

I can do 3 one arm one leg pressups with my feet on my bed but I’m nowhere near a one arm chin

Thanks for the advice:) What is a divebomber pressup? I’m afraid I’m not familiar with this exercise. And what do you mean by “with one leg”? If I’m doing pushups with my right arm to support myself with my left leg only?

[/quote]

no problem and you are correct, that is what I’m talking about. One thing: a divebomber, go to scrapper’s website and look up a divebomber pressup under the excercise guide, then take an arm away…

have fun playing with that