Pause vs No Pause: How Much Difference?

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
The slightest change in an exercise can make huge differences. Charles Poliquin has once instructed one of his athletes to switch shoes every session. For him, that slight change in the elevation of the heels is enough to provide a different stimulus. Why do you think westsiders have TONS of good morning variations? The slightest inch-by-inch shifting of the range of motion can already change an exercise. Glute activation with an ATG squat is more compared to a parallel squat, which makes them “different” from each other even though they are both “squats”.[/quote]

yeah at gym class my squats almost always feel weaker, I always wear size 15 new balances, and no belt. The shoes are like half size too big.

I like incorporating pauses into my DL training, but sometimes I overdo it and need a spot. This one time I loaded the bar and got called away, and didn’t pull it til the next evening…probably a record of some sort for longest pause pull dl @ my bodyweight by somebody in this zip code with my initials. But that is just speculation on my part…

For me pausing makes about a 100% difference on my bench. I will never pause a bench. It just doesn’t make sense. A heavy weight is there to fuck you up. I got into this shit to lift. If I wanted a pause, I would sit on the sofa smoking dope and eating whipped cream out of the cannister.

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
malonetd wrote:
TYPE2B wrote:
271 divided by 300 = .903333

So if I base this approximation with your bench press, that means [u]on average[/u], a person’s paused bench press is 90% of what he can bench press touch and go.

How do calculate average with only one known value?

.90333 + 0 = .90333

.90333 / 1 = .90333

That means the average of .90333 is equal to .90333[/quote]
This percentage will vary if you add or subtract 100lbs to that max.
A 200lb touch and go would have a -20lb pause and
a 500lb touch and go would have a -50lb pause.

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:

Olympic lifting stuff. Having a big rock bottom squat, clean, etc. I have a journal in here, and if you look at it, please don’t mock me. I already know I’m weak.
[/quote]

I don’t see how a paused squat will improve a clean, snatch or jerk more than practicing those skills. A paused squat for variation is fine, but in the grand scheme, it will be a small role player.

Since you Olympic lift Type2B I thought you would be interested in this. Apparently Leonid Taranenko’s preferred method for squatting and improving overall strength was a deep back squat with a 2 second pause at the bottom.

Here is an interview where he mentions some of his training http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/sportivny/library/news/nv005.html . If it worked for one of the strongest men to ever live, it probably has some merit.

I have been lifting for 10+ (admittedly the level of sophistication of the first few was poor, nothing but Flex inspired workouts at 13) and can say from my own personal experience that there is a dramatic difference in a paused squat versus a non-paused squat, especially in ATG squats where you can get quite a bit of rebound out of the whole at speed.

Pausing significantly increases the recruitment of the hips and glutes in my experience. I think we all know dead stop training puts different stresses on the body than more “reflexive” reps do. I wouldn’t say one is better than the other, especially since you have to drop the weight most times to do paused reps, but the training effect does seem to be different.

I agree with most everyone’s sentiments here though that the most important thing is just to put your head down and get after it. Sure a hugely sophisticated and elaborate scheme may improve gains by some small percentage, but if you fall into the paralysis by analysis trap it won’t matter. In the beginning just lift things and eat, you will pick up practical knowledge as you learn your body better.

Taken from the STRONG WORDS section of this website:

An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory. -Friedrich Engels

man, whenever im frustrated with any “aspect” of the gym, lifting, etc- maybe im not lifting the weight i want, maybe not seeing the scale go up, not getting leaner- whatever the goal at the time, i just have to read a TYPE2B thread/post, and i feel better. i just know that as long as im getting my ass in the gym and doing work, im progressing 983426x faster than this fucker.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
For me pausing makes about a 100% difference on my bench. I will never pause a bench. It just doesn’t make sense. A heavy weight is there to fuck you up. I got into this shit to lift. If I wanted a pause, I would sit on the sofa smoking dope and eating whipped cream out of the cannister. [/quote]

brah, be careful mixing your J’s with whippitz

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
To all the people who gave serious posts in my humble thread, thank you![/quote]

No one will ever take you seriously. I promise.

[quote]Dave284 wrote:
I have no idea why you would ever pause anything other than a bench but the difference is pretty small for me. Maybe 0-5lbs.[/quote]

I think pausing can help most lifts with developing strength from a dead stop. Like pause squats, pausing between deadlift reps, rack benches. I think eliminating the stretch reflex by using the pause can have some benefit.

Come on boys, let up on the guy. We all started somewhere and all had a lot of questions when we got started. We just didn’t have the internet to let us ask every single one of them that came to us at any time of day or night.

[quote]kilpaba wrote:
Come on boys, let up on the guy. We all started somewhere and all had a lot of questions when we got started. We just didn’t have the internet to let us ask every single one of them that came to us at any time of day or night.[/quote]

If I can laugh at Plaxico for shooting himself in the leg, then how come I can’t laugh at 2B for shooting himself in the foot?

I give him credit though his quotes are priceless.

[quote]
I may be wrong, and believe me, I FREQUENTLY AM.
.[/quote]

Pausing can make a difference in performance and training but trying to calculate how much you should go for is pretty pointless. About as pointless as using one number for an average. Go in the gym and lift until you find out.

I don’t know why I read this thread.

The amount of difference it makes will be different for everyone, no point asking because it won’t be relevant to you. In gear, it makes very little difference to me (bench or squat). Raw it makes more of a difference. I don’t need to know what this difference for any reason at all right now and I’ve been lifting longer than you.

As an olympic lifter I would suggest you would get more benefit out of learning to maximise your stretch reflex. When that stops working for you, then start fiddling. Right now variation is your enemy.

Sometimes I worry that 2b is the brainchild of someone like Charles Poliquin. Every once in a while, when he has a break he logs in as 2b and sees just how much he can fuck with everybody- laughing maniacally the whole time, of course.
Just me? or anyone else too?

I will throw my .02 in for ya…

1. depends on the lift- pause deads will help you in ways, and pause box squats will alomost help you. I was doing SS bar box squats today on a praalle box, and Id get down, and not so much pause, but regaii a bit, and BAM I got right back up easier. Pause bench is harder raw off no boards, but if you ever see someone doing board work, they always do some sort of pause. I could go further, but im getting bored and I feel like a jackass, so ill move on.

2. Depends on how long you pause for

3. If you want variation, pausing probably wont give you tons of carryover unless its reg. bench, reg. squat.

4. Why are you insecure about a 315 ATG front squat? In my book thats not bad. I dont think I can do that and I can back squat around 415. You should post some vids

5. You should PM dave tate or Jim wendler some of these things on here, and see what they say.