Pause vs No Pause: How Much Difference?

Approximately how much can you lift in a certain lift with a 1 second pause? Really? What if you eliminate the pause? How much more can you lift percentagewise?

Let’s say a powerlifter can bench press 500 lbs. raw with a pause, how much more can he lift with touch and go?

To all westside trainees in here who puts extra emphasis on teaching your body’s “reflexive properties” via overspeed eccentrics, how much improvement did you make?

Let’s just say that “Guy A” squats 500 with a 1 second pause, he has never done any overspeed eccentrics before which means his lower body’s “reflexive properties” are extremely untrained. He can only add an extra 20 pounds on his squat by eliminating the pause…

“Guy B” on the other hand has been doing overspeed eccentrics for quite a while, uses lots of band tension when squatting, and has the same max as Guy A with the pause squat (500 pounds)…

How much difference will it make?

Thank you!

shutup.

STOP!

It will make this much difference /…\

End thread

i notice 10-25lb difference breh

[quote]hulk963 wrote:
i notice 10-25lb difference breh[/quote]

Thank you for the serious answer…

Ummm, which lift is it and what’s the weight did you use with the paused and the one with no pause?

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
hulk963 wrote:

Ummm, which lift is it and what’s the weight did you use with the paused and the one with no pause?[/quote]

bench dude, it was a while ago so basically I did 271 paused and easy, missed 297 paused halfway up, and I think I was good for 300 touch n go that day.

[quote]hulk963 wrote:
TYPE2B wrote:
hulk963 wrote:

Ummm, which lift is it and what’s the weight did you use with the paused and the one with no pause?

bench dude, it was a while ago so basically I did 271 paused and easy, missed 297 paused halfway up, and I think I was good for 300 touch n go that day.[/quote]

271 divided by 300 = .903333

So if I base this approximation with your bench press, that means on average, a person’s paused bench press is 90% of what he can bench press touch and go.

Thanks alot! And you’re a very strong teen deadlifter! A football coach would be proud to have you.

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
Approximately how much can you lift in a certain lift with a 1 second pause? Really? What if you eliminate the pause? How much more can you lift percentagewise?

Let’s say a powerlifter can bench press 500 lbs. raw with a pause, how much more can he lift with touch and go?

To all westside trainees in here who puts extra emphasis on teaching your body’s “reflexive properties” via overspeed eccentrics, how much improvement did you make?

Let’s just say that “Guy A” squats 500 with a 1 second pause, he has never done any overspeed eccentrics before which means his lower body’s “reflexive properties” are extremely untrained. He can only add an extra 20 pounds on his squat by eliminating the pause…

“Guy B” on the other hand has been doing overspeed eccentrics for quite a while, uses lots of band tension when squatting, and has the same max as Guy A with the pause squat (500 pounds)…

Thank you![/quote]

Type2B do you actually train with weights? Seriously, I haven’t noticed any commentary on your personal training. If you do, how is progress?

I have an idea - go train and find out.

Threads like these bother me simply because whenever I wonder something easily empirically explored, I find out for myself. Knowing what everyone else does will not help YOU with your training.

[quote]giterdone wrote:
TYPE2B wrote:

Thank you!

Type2B do you actually train with weights? Seriously, I haven’t noticed any commentary on your personal training. If you do, how is progress?[/quote]

Thanks for asking, and the reason why I never make any commentary on my lifting is because I am insecure. I’m a total newb…

I’ll be attempting 315 pounds on wednesday for an ATG front squat at shoulder width stance. My estimated max for a PAUSED front squat is around 280-290, so I’m just wondering if 315 sounds like a pretty reasonable attempt, if it’s either realistic, or just plain crazy.

I have no idea why you would ever pause anything other than a bench but the difference is pretty small for me. Maybe 0-5lbs.

[quote]Dave284 wrote:
I have no idea why you would ever pause anything other than a bench but the difference is pretty small for me. Maybe 0-5lbs.[/quote]

It’s mainly for variation purposes.

When I look at someone like Carl Yngvar Christiansen benching, I think that that is the perfect form to the bench for me. Grip nice and wide, pause, and go up smoothly. Looks great and feels great.

If you are pausing in the ATG position of a squat, I dont know why you would be doing that.
All of my coaches (all of them) have said to keep your knees tention throughout the whole excercise so that your kneecap cant go in funny directions. People wear Knee wraps so that their joints dont get screwed up from a lack of tension - powerlifters, oly lifters, powerbodybuilders.

Why pause a squat at the bottom???

[quote]forevernade wrote:
If you are pausing in the ATG position of a squat, I dont know why you would be doing that.
All of my coaches (all of them) have said to keep your knees tention throughout the whole excercise so that your kneecap cant go in funny directions. People wear Knee wraps so that their joints dont get screwed up from a lack of tension - powerlifters, oly lifters, powerbodybuilders.

Why pause a squat at the bottom???[/quote]

Ooooohh, I think I love where this thread is going.

Pausing at the bottom of any exercise eliminates the stretch reflex and it makes you dependent on THE SHEER ABILITY OF YOUR CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM TO MAXIMIZE RECRUITMENT OF MOTOR UNITS. You have to keep in mind that THE FASTER THE DECELERATION PHASE OF A LIFT, AND THE QUICKER THE SHIFT FROM ECCENTRIC CONTRACTION TO CONCENTRIC CONTRACTION, THE MORE ELASTIC ENERGY STORED IN YOUR MUSCLES! Louie Simmons advocates overspeed eccentrics to maximize your body’s “reflexive properties”, which was defined by Christian Thibaudeau in his book as YOUR MUSCLE’S ABILITY TO STORE AS MUCH ELASTIC ENERGY AS IT CAN DURING THE ECCENTRIC LOADING. Although this “stretch reflex” may be cool to have, it eliminates the dependence for your muscles to work harder than they usually do compared to a lower level of stored elastic energy. More tension is involved with pausing compared to just “bouncing the weight” because for each and every inches of the lift, there’s no aid from the earlier loading of elastic energy…

A paused squat is different from a squat. it’s that simple…

And another thing, I’m trying to use as many variations of exercises as I can. I may use everything from squats with accomodating resistance, zercher squats, and many more. I can’t just stay on one type of squatting movement and expect to keep making the same gains.

To all the people who gave serious posts in my humble thread, thank you!

[quote]forevernade wrote:

Why pause a squat at the bottom???[/quote]

To focus on coming out of the hole.

That’s good, if you pause at or below the hole. I was referring to ATG squats, where the pause is literally letting all your joints deload because your legs are fully compressed.
You want to focus on getting out of the hole by removing reflex? How about you start the squat from the hole up, or how about you box squat at your ‘hole’ height. There are much safter ways to remove the reflex than ATG pause squats… Just make sure you activate your glutes properly when doing so!

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
271 divided by 300 = .903333

So if I base this approximation with your bench press, that means [u]on average[/u], a person’s paused bench press is 90% of what he can bench press touch and go.
[/quote]

How do calculate average with only one known value?