Pause Sumo Deadlifts and Form Check?

Hi all

Do you think pause sumo deadlifts are useful? For my lift?

The one time I failed on sumo was when I was maxing out. The bar was slow for a sumo pull, which was definitely something I was unfamiliar with and I panicked and tried to hitch it I guess conventional habits die hard.

Tried a few different paused pulls while warming up last workout and it felt good.

Thanks

I work paused deadlift in I feel it helps with positioning. Looking at your video, you need to get your hips lower. The high hips caused your back to round and no chance of locking a max effort lift. Also to help keep your back tight turn your elbows in it’ll flex your lasts. I think of it as a seesaw as the hips come down you build more and more tension on the bar till you get into correct position and begin the pull.

1 Like

I see your knees coming in slightly when the bar leaves the floor, you need to keep your knees pushed out. Just practice pulling with proper/better technique (lower hips, knees out, back not rounded) for now, no need to add any special exercises just yet.

1 Like

Thank you the responses. So the gist of it is to improve starting position and practice?

Here’s a Rep PR from Friday and will record a set next workout. Is it any better/what else can be improved?

Better… by a bit. Still the same problems so keep working at it.

The plates block the view of your knees so I can’t tell if they are coming in, other than that your back is slightly rounded and your hips are too high. You need to open your hips more.

180kg x 3 Two angles for form check