T Nation

Pause Press vs. Touch & Go

hey all, not trying to stir up any issues or flaming, just want to know what the power lifters out there are doing

I’m starting the Bill Star routine (will buy his book with my next amazon purchase), as outlined by this dude ‘Madcow’ who seems fairly well versed, and agrees with Rippetoe, which is big in my opinion

anyway, I plan on competing in PL, have one meet under my belt, and am wondering if i should practice pause pressing every bench press workout, to prepare myself for meets?..

my first meet i was red lighted for pressing too soon, so im nervous about this becoming a typical annoying situation

dont do it EVERYTIME…but every so often at the end of a lifting block end with some singles then deload for a week…works good for me

If you compete without a shirt you should likely use lots o’ pause benches to get used to it and to build power off the chest. With a shirt, it is not as important. This also depends on how tight the rules in your fed are on the pause.

I do them for DE/RE.

Usually you need to bench on command. You should probably just practice benching on command right before the meet. Getting stronger is the most important. If you pause too long, you’ll loose your tightness.

ok good deal all, I do not lift in a shirt

I’m thinking ill take a long pause on the warm up sets, the first 2 or 3, and then take it normal speed from there. As i get closer to contest time, maybe do a workout or two with a helper to give me the press command

[quote]lbh110 wrote:
ok good deal all, I do not lift in a shirt

I’m thinking ill take a long pause on the warm up sets, the first 2 or 3, and then take it normal speed from there. [/quote]

I would do exactly the opposite. Take the pauses on the final heavier sets.

[quote]lbh110 wrote:
hey all, not trying to stir up any issues or flaming, just want to know what the power lifters out there are doing

I’m starting the Bill Star routine (will buy his book with my next amazon purchase), as outlined by this dude ‘Madcow’ who seems fairly well versed, and agrees with Rippetoe, which is big in my opinion

anyway, I plan on competing in PL, have one meet under my belt, and am wondering if i should practice pause pressing every bench press workout, to prepare myself for meets?..

my first meet i was red lighted for pressing too soon, so im nervous about this becoming a typical annoying situation[/quote]

Definitely, you need to practice your pause pressing, but you don’t have to do a lot of sets. Also, you don’t have to practice it with every bp workout.

I get really sore from doing a lot of pause pressing. So, I don’t pause when I do full range of motion bench press exercises. I pause with boards, floor press,etc.

TRAIN HARD

“BIG WILLIE” J.T. HALL