Paul Ryan-Romney VP

Well; speculation is over.

Romney’s pick is made.

I don’t know enough about him to comment, so…

Thoughts?

Mufasa

He’ll hit fast and hard in any debate or interview with cold hard facts, figures, numbers, and charts. He’ll rattle 'em off concerning the impending federal financial crisis, showing how entitlements and servicing the debt will eat up the entire budget (no more nifty Mars stuff in the future for the US of A). Laying out bold (but probably still too optimistic) entitlement reform plans. So yeah, the average American will tune him out within the first 10 seconds.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
He’ll hit fast and hard in any debate or interview with cold hard facts, figures, numbers, and charts. He’ll rattle 'em off concerning the impending federal financial crisis, showing how entitlements and servicing the debt will eat up the entire budget (no more nifty Mars stuff in the future for the US of A). Laying out bold (but probably still too optimistic) entitlement reform plans. So yeah, the average American will tune him out within the first 10 seconds.[/quote]

Sounds like a reaction to Palin.

He is not the worst possible pick that Romney could have made, but very close to it.

First and foremost he has no charisma. For the umpteenth time the average Joe does NOT decide who he likes based on the man being able to rattle off facts and figures which Ryan is well capable of doing. They choose based on how the person looks and their gut reaction to those looks. Ryan looks like a big goofy kid who has his fathers sport coat on. If you look close enough you will see the word “geek” written on his forehead.

Obama will go after Ryan on his proposed budget “he wants to give tax cuts to millionaires and billionaires…bla bla bla” And he will actually have the numbers to twist in order to make Ryan look every bit the elitist that they have painted Romney. When you choose a VP you are trying to “balance” the ticket this DID NOT happen with the Ryan pick. But I should not be surprised as because the Romney team appears to be flat footed and tone deaf. If you remember the also allowed Obama free reign for 30 days to paint Romney as an out of touch rich guy who doesn’t pay his taxes.

In order to win Romney needed either a woman, or (as I’ve been saying) an hispanic or cuban. He also MUST win Florida (and Ohio) this pick does not help him win either of those states nor does it attract the female vote or the minority vote that I’ve spoken of.

I was never optimistic going into this race as I always thought that Obama had several advantages, the big one is obviously him being the incumbent. But now I am the most pessimistic that I have ever been. They’ve just handed the Obama team a big stick to beat them with by picking Paul Ryan.

Sure, Romney can still win, because anything can happen in a Presidential race with about three months to go. But short of a minor miracle we will have four more years of Obama! And Romney will have himself to blame through being non responsive to repeated attacks early on, and then picking Paul Ryan as his VP when he actually could have changed the entire race by picking a better candidate.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
He’ll hit fast and hard in any debate or interview with cold hard facts, figures, numbers, and charts. He’ll rattle 'em off concerning the impending federal financial crisis, showing how entitlements and servicing the debt will eat up the entire budget (no more nifty Mars stuff in the future for the US of A). Laying out bold (but probably still too optimistic) entitlement reform plans. So yeah, the average American will tune him out within the first 10 seconds.[/quote]

Sounds like another Ron Paul. I really do like people who know their work and know it well, but they end up in a back office somewhere crunching numbers and wondering why no one understands what they’re talking about.

He shoulda picked Steven Tyler to inject some of that “rock star persona” that the American voting pool craves.

There are some democrats that don’t really like Obama for his policies. They trust him as a person.

I may not agree with Ryan, but I trust him as a person. I think he genuinely wants to help the country. I can’t say the same for Romney.

[quote]ZEB wrote:<<< He is not the worst possible pick <<<>>>, but very close to it. >>>[/quote]Just like Romney himself so very fitting I’d say.

Again; I don’t know much about him, so…

1. Why do you think the pick was made?

2. Also; isn’t it possible that he may not have been Romney’s first pick; and there may have been “issues” that came up while vetting other possible candidates?

If I’m reading Zeb right; Romney has to take the gloves off; start defining himself; and go all-out until November.

(I still think Romney wins; but I also picked McCain/Palin!)

Mufasa

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

Okay…get it out of your system now, T…!

The GOP ticket is composed of a Mormon and a Catholic…

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

Okay…get it out of your system now, T…!

The GOP ticket is composed of a Mormon and a Catholic…

Mufasa
[/quote]I supported Alan Keyes, a DEVOUT Catholic, (big C Chris) twice. I’m gonna hang in there with you until you get it Muf. Why? 2 reasons. 1? I like you. 2? if you get it other folks may get it too. The day’s still young. Maybe this’ll be it.

I actually DO get it T…

I’ve said it before…this is an “Obama/Not-Obama” election…many Conservative voters hate the President more than any other consideration that they may have to swollow.

Given the choice between the President and Satan himself?..the original “Dark Knight” wins.

Mufasa

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

No actually you have that completely wrong. Romney was the best possible pick out of the group that was running for the office. If you think that anyone else would have done well against Obama just because you happen to have liked them you’re mistaken.

While I agree with most of Zeb’ assessment as far as better picks, I’m guessing they thought he would bring more balance in his actual conservatism. We all know Romney isn’t what you’d call a real conservative but Ryan is for that balance? As Zeb pointed out it sure as hell isn’t for the other balancing factors.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:I actually DO get it T… I’ve said it before…this is an “Obama/Not-Obama” election…many Conservative voters hate the President more than any other consideration that they may have to swallow. Given the choice between the President and Satan himself?..the original “Dark Knight” wins.
Mufasa[/quote]NO MUFASA. You DO NOT get it. Barack Obama was not even on the radar when I supported Keyes in 2000. My vote always goes to whoever is closest to my views which is by definition the lesser of 2 evils EVERY time. If Satan were running against Obama? Obama would get my campaign efforts AND my vote. And for the last time. I DO NOT HATE Barack or Michelle Obama. Kindly cease from portraying my sentiments inaccurately as if YOU have the right and ability to represent me better than I can represent myself. I have repeatedly denied it AND have given evidence of the fact that my disdain for this man, or ANY man, need not and in fact DOES NOT equate to hatred in any way.

I also do not hate Pitbull, but would not want him as president either. Shoot, I don’t hate me and I wouldn’t want myself as president.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Okay…

Again; I don’t know much about him, so…

1. Why do you think the pick was made?[/quote]

Because he at least sounds smart. Has been dealing with and proposing budgets. If I was to pick a VP based solely on “who would be great in a debate against Biden in some Harvard auditorium,” Paul Ryan wouldn’t be a bad pick. But as Romney’s running mate? Is there some advantage to an anti-charisma strategy I’m not seeing?

The other possibilities might have had extra-marital affairs with gay billy-goats. Or nothing. Unless someone starts reporting that decision-making process it could be absolutely anything, from the yawn-inspiring (didn’t seem photogenic enough) to the stuff tabloid writers make a living on. Who knows.

The unlikeable privileged white guy getting nasty against that ‘nice’ (if not presently successful) young black fella? Guess who comes out of that one smelling like a dog turd. If Romney goes that route he at least better sound, look, and act like he means it. Instead of coming off like a nasty political opportunists (‘sorry about that Mr. President, it was just politics’) as he does now. He might have been able to drown out his rivals with money and organization during the nomination. He won’t be able to do that with Obama. My gosh, I just saw a news item about “Rednecks for Obama.” Obama’s image radiantly beaming, with a confederate flag backdrop. No lie. If we’ve lost the rednecks to Obama, we’ve lost the country

Right now Romney is some super-dooper rich dude who, for a dozen or so years, has paid a lower rate in taxes than Joe Schmoe and his family. IF, Mr. Schmoe has even been able to keep a job in the last couple of years, that is. He’s also the say anything, take any position guy. You know what will happen when/if Romney does release the hounds? Obama’s well-funded and oiled machine runs soundbites of fellow Republicans complaining about how negative and nasty the the Romney team was during the nomination.

Fair enough, T!

(But you have to admit that it’s pretty bad if it takes Satan running against him for you to support the President! JUST KIDDING, T! I like you too!)

Mufasa

[quote]ZEB wrote:

In order to win Romney needed either a woman, or (as I’ve been saying) an hispanic or cuban. He also MUST win Florida (and Ohio) this pick does not help him win either of those states nor does it attract the female vote or the minority vote that I’ve spoken of.

[/quote]

That’s why he chose an obscure midwestern politician that loses those states. He wants to lose. Unique thought: Romney WANTS to lose.

This is all a set up for Petraus in 2016, so America can be turned into a military dictatorship. You heard it here first.

I’m from Wisconsin. I know about Paul Ryan well.

He will come armed to the teeth showing we are going off the fiscal cliff. He will eat Bidens lunch in the debates.

He is not some robot. He has personality. People like him in Wisconsin since he’s sincere. He also will inject some youth into the race.

[quote]ghost87 wrote:

He will come armed to the teeth showing we are going off the fiscal cliff. He will eat Bidens lunch in the debates.[/quote]

This is a given with Ryan. You might as well right off any debates as a win for Ryan. At least if one cares about stuff like the not-so-distant-future state of our financial well-being (scary bad).

This we’ll have to see.

[quote]ghost87 wrote:

He will come armed to the teeth showing we are going off the fiscal cliff. He will eat Bidens lunch in the debates.

He is not some robot. He has personality. People like him in Wisconsin since he’s sincere. He also will inject some youth into the race.[/quote]

Ghost:

Biden is a pretty shrewd Politician.

I just don’t think that he will allow himself to be pulled into arguing numbers, percentages and pie charts. He will most assuredly highlight how both camps differ in how they would deal with our fiscal crises.

Mufasa