T Nation

Paul or Barr?

I’ve decided that I still can’t bring myself to vote for McCain despite the evil that is Aku…I mean Obama.

So the question is should I vote for Barr or Paul? Where is the dissatisfied vote going to go? Ron Paul has endorsed the Constitution party guy but I doubt most Paulies are going to vote for him.

Bob Barr is a fraud and I’m embarrassed that the “party of principle” so easily sold out. So what to do? Any thoughts from my non-McCain voting conservatives?

mike

Well Barr has pulled a hell of a 180 but I think I am still going to vote for him.

Paul isn’t running so I won’t vote for him.

Same boat as you Mike, prolly pick McCain on gameday tho.

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
I’ve decided that I still can’t bring myself to vote for McCain despite the evil that is Aku…I mean Obama.

So the question is should I vote for Barr or Paul? Where is the dissatisfied vote going to go? Ron Paul has endorsed the Constitution party guy but I doubt most Paulies are going to vote for him.

Bob Barr is a fraud and I’m embarrassed that the “party of principle” so easily sold out. So what to do? Any thoughts from my non-McCain voting conservatives?

mike[/quote]

Any idea why Paul didn’t endorse Barr? Anyways, I say flip a coin.

The Green Party.

If they get enough votes, they get matching funds from the fed. And they are very attractive to a lot of libs.

Support the hippie candidates.

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:

mike[/quote]

In some states one will be able to write Paul in. I am not voting for any of the official candidates for pres. I will be casting a protest vote this election.

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
Ron Paul has endorsed the Constitution party guy but I doubt most Paulies are going to vote for him.
[/quote]

A lot of folks who campaigned for Ron Paul, at least the ones I know personally from involvement in my local Libertarian Party, are heartily supporting Chuck Baldwin (Constitution Party). We actually have a strong local CP representation in this area. Mr. Baldwin’s hardest selling point to GOP converts is that his foreign policy stance is similar to Ron Paul’s-- many GOP’ers find that hard to swallow.

The local LP (actually the state LP) functions more of a PAC than a political party in that we will fund candidates from any party who subscribe to small government principals. At the last LP convention we had speakers from the D’s, R’s (Liberty Caucus), and the CP.

If you’re principled enough to vote 3rd Party in the face of the Marxist, Chuck Baldwin is an excellent choice. The CP has made some remarkable progress and has pulled many from the LP. The problem with the LP is that it usually ends up being a cock-fight as to who is the most Libertarian rather than who is the most viable candidate.

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:

mike[/quote]

Seven Principles of the Constitution Party are:

1. Life: For all human beings, from conception to natural death;

2. Liberty: Freedom of conscience and actions for the self-governed individual;

3. Family: One husband and one wife with their children as divinely instituted;

4. Property: Each individual’s right to own and steward personal property without government burden;

5. Constitution: and Bill of Rights interpreted according to the actual intent of the Founding Fathers;

6. States’ Rights: Everything not specifically delegated by the Constitution to the federal government is reserved for the state and local jurisdictions;

7. American Sovereignty: American government committed to the protection of the borders, trade, and common defense of Americans, and not entangled in foreign alliances.

I don’t know yet. I know it won’t be for either McCain or Obama.

[EDIT: Maybe George Phillies. The NH Libertarian nominee]

http://phillies2008.org/

Barr was the libertarian candidate on my electronic ballot.

And for ‘write in’, paul wasn’t an option. I don’t think there was a way to really write on that machine.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:

mike

4. Property: Each individual’s right to own and steward personal property without government burden;

5. Constitution: and Bill of Rights interpreted according to the actual intent of the Founding Fathers;

6. States’ Rights: Everything not specifically delegated by the Constitution to the federal government is reserved for the state and local jurisdictions;

7. American Sovereignty: American government committed to the protection of the borders, trade, and common defense of Americans, and not entangled in foreign alliances.

[/quote]

A lot to like there. That’s where my vote is going, though I’m not positive Baldwin is on the NH ballot. Good to see some other conservatives voting their consciences and not falling for the judges line and the rest of the GOP trap.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:

mike

Any idea why Paul didn’t endorse Barr? Anyways, I say flip a coin.[/quote]

Daniel Larison has a short article about it in the current American Conservative. Basically Paul tried his blanket endorsement of all four third party candidates (admittedly an odd move), Barr told him to fuck off, and Paul eventually went with Baldwin. Baldwin more genuinely represents Paul’s principles anyway.

I’m not voting.

I just can’t bring myself to take a 5 hour bus ride to write in a joke protest vote. (I missed the deadline to get an absentee ballot).

But if I could, I don’t think it matters.

They’ll look at the % who voted for some kind of libertarian, and that % should be as impressive as you guys can make it!

[quote]The Mage wrote:
The Green Party.

If they get enough votes, they get matching funds from the fed. And they are very attractive to a lot of libs.

Support the hippie candidates. [/quote]

Isn’t Cynthia McKinney running under the Green party?

Vote for the lesser evil or don’t vote at all. Bob Barr is a jackass, Chuck Baldwin a theocrat. A third party vote is an utterly wasted vote anyway.

“I like turtles.”

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:

mike

A lot to like there. That’s where my vote is going, though I’m not positive Baldwin is on the NH ballot. Good to see some other conservatives voting their consciences and not falling for the judges line and the rest of the GOP trap.[/quote]

If anyone is wondering who is on the ballot for your state, use Project Vote Smart:

http://www.votesmart.org/election_president.php

According to their site, Baldwin is not on the NH ballot.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
Vote for the lesser evil or don’t vote at all. Bob Barr is a jackass, Chuck Baldwin a theocrat. A third party vote is an utterly wasted vote anyway.[/quote]

Please explain your reasoning.

People obviously know they are not going to win but if you don’t want either major candidate in office who do you vote for? I not voting for any cunt-flap that voted for the bailout.

[quote]AssOnGrass wrote:
belligerent wrote:
Vote for the lesser evil or don’t vote at all. Bob Barr is a jackass, Chuck Baldwin a theocrat. A third party vote is an utterly wasted vote anyway.

People obviously know they are not going to win but if you don’t want either major candidate in office who do you vote for? I not voting for any cunt-flap that voted for the bailout.[/quote]

It’s also making a statement to the Republican Party. If they lose they will certainly be looking at votes they could or should have gotten. The more people vote Libertarian or Constitution, the more they will take notice and hopefully go back to being conservatives.

Probably won’t happen until these two groups are larger than the independant voter block, but that’s what I will be doing for the foreseable future.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
Sloth wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:

mike

Any idea why Paul didn’t endorse Barr? Anyways, I say flip a coin.

Daniel Larison has a short article about it in the current American Conservative. Basically Paul tried his blanket endorsement of all four third party candidates (admittedly an odd move), Barr told him to fuck off, and Paul eventually went with Baldwin. Baldwin more genuinely represents Paul’s principles anyway.[/quote]

I see. I think I have the current one, but haven’t read it yet. I’ll have to check it out.

[quote]AssOnGrass wrote:
belligerent wrote:

People obviously know they are not going to win but if you don’t want either major candidate in office who do you vote for? I not voting for any cunt-flap that voted for the bailout.[/quote]

It is a bit of a conundrum. Vote for the lesser of two evils and you still feel entirely screwed. Vote for someone who is so much more aligned with your views but has little chance of winning and…well you feel helpless.

At least you voted with your heart and mind but…there has got to be a better way. We need a different voting system. Other industrialized democracies have various voting methods. This two party monopoly has got to be broken if real change is going to take place.