Paul Newman R.I.P.

One of the best actors of all time. Rest easy Cool Hand Luke.

Sad news…

I’m genuinely upset to read about that this morning. Cool Hand Luke along with Butch/Sundance are some of my favorite movies. I also really love his salad dressing. I am happy that he was able to do so much with his life and lived to be 83.

From Wikipedia:

Paul Leonard Newman (January 26, 1925 - September 26, 2008) was an American actor, film director, entrepreneur, race car driver, racing team owner and humanitarian. He won numerous awards, including an Academy Award, two Golden Globe Awards, a Screen Actors Guild Award, a Cannes Film Festival Award, and an Emmy award, along with many honorary awards.

He won several national championships as a driver in Sports Car Club of America road racing and his race teams won several championships in open wheel Indy Car racing. He was also the founder of Newman’s Own, a food company from which Newman donated all profits and royalties to charity.

As of May 2007, these donations have exceeded US$220 million. Newman died at his long-time home in Westport, Connecticut after a battle with lung cancer.

Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 1958

A young and fit Paul Newman

Here is a good read about Newman’s Own, from a blog on britannica.com.

This was a man who believed in the value of what he was doing. He really was a great humanitarian. He developed a superior, healthy product and then gave away all the profits to charities.

http://www.britannica.com/blogs/2008/01/happy-birthday-paul-newman/

Edit: added URL

An incredible actor and businessman.

One of the greatest. “Slapshot” remains one of my favorite movies of all time.

This is sad news. I didn’t realize he was in his 80’s. I thought he was younger.

RIP

RIP a great man. I had a chance to meet Paul, and he had a personality that made you think he was your best friend in the world even though you only talked to him for 10 minutes. He was passionate about life and as they say, you get what you put in and Paul certainly put in as much as he got.

Newman had abs
I saw a special about the actors studio and Newman was one of the originals. All ways considered him one of the greats along with,Brando. In a era of chain smoking, hard drinking and womanizing leading men he stood out. Newman was a bit of a health freak and was charitable. Cool Hand Luke, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Hombre
quickly come to mind.
will miss him

Oh wow…

He was truly one of the onscreen badasses of American cinema.

One of my favorite movie quotes of all time:

“What we have here is failure to communicate.” - Strother Martin, Cool Hand Luke

Even through I grew up in the age of color TV, The Hustler is one of my favorite movies. The Sting was another classic.

It’s sad to see him go.

He was great and he lived his life to the fullest.

His movies, racing and even his salad dressing enterprise were worthy of admiration.

Cool Hand Luke is one of the greatest movies ever. That scene where the chick is washing her car is one of the top 10 hottest/most tortering scenes of all time.

The man lived a life that was full of every thing he enjoyed. I thank him for all the great entertainment I have had the pleasure of viewing. So many great movies I wouldn’t know where to start.

It’s always great to see an Icon live a long and healthy life. He will be missed, but he will never really be gone

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
RIP a great man. I had a chance to meet Paul, and he had a personality that made you think he was your best friend in the world even though you only talked to him for 10 minutes. He was passionate about life and as they say, you get what you put in and Paul certainly put in as much as he got.[/quote]

That is killer Donut… I would have loved to meet Newman. Lucky you.

In my opinion he was one of the most attractive men to ever live, downright gorgeous with a heart,attitude and talent to match. May he rest in peace, he was one of a kind.

I bought some of his pasta sauce at Safeway yesterday in memoriam. (On sale this week, 2 jars for $5.00)

Acting legend; I forgot to include Cool Hand Luke in the “Movies that make you misty” thread… or whatever it was called.