Paul Carter's "Guaranteed Muscle Mass" Article

How much time do you rest between sets using the 350 method?

I tend to not time my rest periods but go by feel, I would say they are usually around 2 minutes. Enough time to recover and give it a good shot at hitting the rep target. When you do that first set and hit around 20ish reps, if you have really pushed yourself to get there your gonna be in a bad way! If you need longer rest then take it.

There is not much info about rest periods in the article, I interpreted that to mean that it’s not a major factor, I could be wrong.

I was assuming rest should be longer than 60 seconds mentioned for the 50% set but wasn’t sure. Thanks

The 350 method actually uses timed rest periods (2 minutes). That’s how you are able to measure progression instead of just winging it and getting more reps the next time by resting a bit longer. Its very “DoggCrapp” in nature, which Paul used for years and was the inspiration for that if I’m not mistaken. It uses a bit more rest and higher rep range, but its essentially the same thing.

I personally like to hit 50+ reps 3 times in a row before moving on to make sure the weight is “solidified” and wasnt just a “good day” fluke.

I have been using it for many months on 2 different lifts (DB Incline press, and seated behind the neck BB presses) and have noticed the progress is very “stock market” in nature, meaning that it trends upwards but its not unusual to see something like: 39,43,40,43,45,42,46,44,47,49,50,51,52 ~> increase weight.

Another thing to consider is where it is in your workout. I use it as my second movement, so depending on how spent I get on my first movement it affects the 350 movement pretty heavily. I use it after my 5/3/1 main lift, and on 5’s week its not uncommon for the performance to drop several reps compares to the other weeks when the reps are not as high on the + set. So make sure its consistently in the same place in your workout (dont do it first one week, then fourth the next week for example, it will be completely different)

1 Like

Thanks for the info, is there another article about the 350 method on t nation or is that information from another source?

My knowledge of that method comes from his website and books. There is literally a one sentence blurb about it under his “Training Methods” section that lays it out: Aim to get 50 total reps over three sets, with two minutes rest between each set.

Beyond that This Article seems to be the most comprehensive on his website and gives great detail about how to incorporate it into a program. Be aware that when he talks about “365” in the article he is referencing his book “LRB 365” which is a year long training plan (365 days), it isnt some other method where you try to get 65 reps instead of 50.

1 Like

Great stuff, thanks for the link. I’m usually around 2 minutes but will make it stricter now.

Just a little update on this, when timing my rest periods I realised that I rested for a lot less than 2 minutes when going off feel. 2 minutes felt like forever and makes hitting the 50 reps much easier.

I’ve also noticed on the 50% sets that I’m not far off hitting same reps as first set, dropping only a rep or 2. I’m putting that down to the fact that my self regulated rest periods have always been short when doing straight sets.

Still really enjoy this routine.

It does feel a bit long, but it has a way of “self regulating” in that once the weights get up there after a few weight increases, the 2 minute rests periods will be just about right. I feel “ready to go” after about 90 seconds myself, but am at a weight where I’m not hitting 50 currently so the extra rest is needed.

Generally speaking you should be hitting about 25 reps on the first set, at least in my experience.

Yep that’s around bang on, if I don’t come close to 25 first set I can kiss goodbye to the big 50.

He was 10 years old

He always was a pudgy kid