Paul Carter's "Guaranteed Muscle Mass" Article

This article is really good in my opinion.

The 350 method is great for rep work and simple - i done it 2x now with the DB incline press. Amazing pump, i’m not used to high rep training with a decent load.

Then its the “over warm-up” which is basically ramping up to a moderate heavy single. And backing off for an AMRAP set - which is the main focus. Setting rep records.

Sometimes he suggests you could then try to bang out another %50 of the reps of your AMRAP set after 1 minute of rest.

It really sounds like a bunch of fun methods.

Suprised i never found it before now… but glad i did!

Loving the 350.

“The author went from a body weight of 114 to 280 pounds”

Good God I never knew this fact about Paul Carter. 166 fucking pounds… RESPECT.

2 Likes

He recently did a BB show and it was like 220 something I think so that last 50lbs doesn’t really count. The only people who might make that big of a legitimate jump is the Olympia top 10 guys. Also the starting weight was probably in high school so you still fill out a little without working out or gaining fat by the time your 18-20.

I am well aware of the distinction between lbm and bodyweight. Also, I am not sure I get your point. Are you of the impression that I think this article is some holy grail for muscle gain or do you think such a large gain in bodyweight is unimpressive?

He’s talking about going from 114-280. The article doesn’t mention much in the way of when he was actually 114 pounds. Maybe when he was 16 years old…? 6?

1 Like

Admittedly, I have not read many Paul Carter articles(a mistake which I am going to rectify soon) but given his reputation among accomplished lifters, I wouldn’t expect such intentionally misleading statements from him just to sell a program.

1 Like

Yeah i read a few articles now. Pretty good stuff. Lots of common sense and pretty straight forward. He hits on the work you do before your “work sets” a nice bit - i think we should call work sets - target, goal or record sets. :D. Which a lot of authors don’t get into all that much.

I read he and CT are working on a book, i might just buy it. Eventhough i figured i would never buy another book. :slight_smile:

I really like Paul Carter’s work. I own three of his books, his programs have similar principles to Wendler’s. Pretty simple programming but very effective.

2 Likes

Yeah i’m a big fan of “simple”. One of my favorite quotes is Einsteins - “If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.”

Its easy to get lost in all the different information online with regards to training. But is all comes down to steady progression - fancy phase “progressive overload” - in whatever is your goal. Strength, size, power, endurance etc

1 Like

When he started training at 14. In a blog on his site a while back, he wrote, "The first time I ever bench pressed, I was 14 and I could do the bar for 8 reps. Max.

No joke.

I was 114 pounds. I couldn’t squat the empty hack squat machine, couldn’t do a chin up."

He’s also written about taking two years to get his bodyweight up to 135 before he got everything more in order.

And yep, the 350 method is a great “I dunno what to do, don’t feel like much, so I’ll do this”-fallback. Overwarm-ups are also huge eye-openers once you try them and see how well they actually help you perform. Pretty sure Poliquin, Waterbury, and Thibaudeau have all talked about using a similar principle.

3 Likes

Frankly i can’t relate to the guy that much. I was 200lbs when i was 14 years old - i was very bottom heavy at the time, no chest, shoulders or back. :smiley:

That said his ideas/methods so far are solid.

Haha I think in a similar way. I still remember something CT wrote a long time ago - “Complexity is the language of simple minds.”

1 Like

I was always taught as a chemistry student that you’ve only truly mastered something once you can explain it to a 10 year old.

2 Likes

Over warmups are great. When going for a high rep, e.g. 15+, PR I often do them. I even sometimes do them prior to my 5/3/1 sets (but my 5/3/1 sets are higher reps now… I shouldn’t even call it 5/3/1).

Going from 315 to 225 is amazing. 225 feels like air.

Even 275 feels much lighter after over warm up with 315 or 325, post potentiating effect is awesome.

interesting business. The over-warm up isn’t something I’ve ever really tried

I’m assuming you have found your answer with you deleting your question but just incase, it means as many reps as possible.

I’ve ran this a few times and currently running it now so any questions fire away.

Thanks KD, I’m just trying to find a simple program to follow to keep motivated and focused. I don’t have the wrist & elbow mobility for working sets of the clean grip front squat. Something I need to work up to

How about goblet squats, much better on the wrists and if you have heavy enough dumbells they can be very a good substitute.

Great idea. Thanks