T Nation

Dixie Chicks Bash Patriotism

06/19/2006 5:00 PM, Yahoo! Music
LAUNCH Radio Networks

There must be something about being overseas that really gets the Dixie Chicks talking. Group members Emily Robison and Natalie Maines have now taken on the subject of patriotism, and apparently they're as big of fans of it as they are President Bush.

In an interview with UK's Telegraph newspaper, Robison accused some country artists of jumping on the anti-Chicks bandwagon to further their own careers. She said, "A lot of artists cashed in on being against what we said or what we stood for because that was promoting their career, which was a horrible thing to do. A lot of pandering started going on, and you'd see soldiers and the American flag in every video. It became a sickening display of ultra-patriotism."

Maines continued, "The entire country may disagree with me, but I don't understand the necessity for patriotism. Why do you have to be a patriot? About what? This land is our land? Why? You can like where you live and like your life, but as for loving the whole country... I don't see why people care about patriotism."

The Dixie Chicks have been overseas promoting their latest album, Taking The Long Way, with a series of live concerts. In fact, last week the trio returned to very place where their career took a major turn -- Shepard's Bush Empire in London. It was from this very stage that Maines bashed Bush three years ago.

I'm not sure what is shocking you. In a perfect world, it wouldn't matter what country you come from. The same goes for gang wars started because you disrespected one gang's street over another. The basic premise is the same. My personal ideas about what "patriotism" mean, also include the idea that I am FOR people being able to say whatever they damn well please as long as it doesn't directly hurt someone else.

It seems people are just looking for shit to bitch about when it comes to The Dixy Chicks. I don't even listen to their music, but the hype surrounding any off statement they make strikes me as silly.

They seem really bitter. I don't understand. They are ugly and their music sucks.

In order for most female artists to succeed they have to be either talented or attractive.

They have no idea how lucky they are to have any success.

We are at war. Some musicians have patriotic themes. What do they expect?

Why are they upset about this stuff? Are they really this stupid?

I think the Dixie Chicks are guilty of the same thing they accuse the "ultra patriots" of - shameless marketing. Their album sales here are in the crapper. The only place they have to sell albums is Europe, and they are pandering to that market.

Since when are their album sales in the crapper? Did they drop suddenly or something because they were doing well.

Anyway, there is a difference between being joingoistic, patriotic, unpatriotic and anti-american.

Exactly. According to:

they sold 526,000 copies its first week of release in the US for their last album.

Since when is that "crapper status"? I don't personally listen to their music even though I have heard a song or two by them. They don't suck anymore than the rest of country music sucks. In fact, from what I hear from that entire genre of music, they are actually one of the better groups.

They have an opinion. Great. Why are people upset at their opinion? What is exactly so wrong with what they stated?

i think its their tours that are hurting. Supposedly they are having to cancel a lot of tour dates because no one is buying their tickets...

Country girls who lose their southern base arent long for the country world. They sold a lot because of the content of their album...lets see how they do when they make an album that isnt bashing bush.

Well, it isn't like Country Music as a whole has major cross over appeal. I am amazed they pull in the numbers that they do for some of these artists. There must be a shit load of people in the south who are wannabe cowboys.

The Dixie Chicks can have any opinion they want. If they want to get philosophical on patriotism and how they have no use for it, no big deal.

I suspect some of it is marketing - you want to sell records to young people, exclaiming your rage at Bush, the war, etc. will guarantee at least a handful of dim Kanye West and Green Day fans to get interested in your music.

I don't exactly think fans or non-fans are waiting on pins and needles to hear what stateswoman Natalie Maines says in order to shape their opinion.

There must be a shitload of crap rattling around in your skull that are wannabe brains. But then, that is just my opinion. Hmmm...So if i listen to country music i want to be a cowboy, and i'm from the south..interesting to learn these little facts. So to continue this diatribe a little further-you must be a yankee--hooo haaa---the south will rise again.

Dumbass. I grew up in Texas. I got to see the real wannabe cowboys still wearing huge silver belt buckles in the shape of the state and cowboy boots to the doctor's office. Stereotype? Yes, it was. Untrue? Hmmmm.

The 500,000 copies were almost all presales. 500K is nothing to sneeze at, but when you compare that to their last few albums that went multi-platinum, they are in the crapper.

They cannot fill any venues in the US. The Houston gig, and the Memphis gig were both cancelled.

If you think the DC's are one of the better groups, you need to listen to some real country. Shooter, Hank III, and others like that don't need PR to sell records.

They are offensive to the typical country music fan. They have the right to say whatever they want. And the country music fan has the right not to buy their music - which they are doing in droves.

Commercial country music has huge crossover appeal. Before the Garth era, you might have had a point. But since then, album sales from country artists rival the sales of those from any other genre. Multi-platinum status is not at all uncommon for the big commercial artists.

However, I stop short of supporting that crap nor do I consider it real country music. Real country took mega leaps backwards the first time Garth took the stage.

I liked Shania Twain...but then, who didn't.

I can understand them being offensive to people who stereotypically listen to majority country music. What I was asking is, specifically, what was wrong with it? Without emotion and "country pride", what was wrong with it?

They are taking a hit on tour dates in the United States only.

They are focusing on touring abroad where they have huge appeal.

Their newest record should be their best selling album.

With that said...who cares.

Don't buy their album or pay to see them.

The wingnuts need to get a grip.

Your assumption is that you can ask the typical country fan to forget those emotions when talking about their music. It's not going to happen.

The typical country fan - and I mean typical commercial country fan - buys, listens to, and supports artists that stir them emotionally. This is not unlike any other genre - but country music's base are law abiding, religous, deeply patriotic folks.

They don't want music that pushes political agenda that differs from theirs. They don't want to hear that America is bad, and that loving it is bad. And they won't support artists that push that agenda.

I just thought this thread needed some Shania.

Good call. Fuck that Mutt guy...

Her music sucks too but at least she is hot.

That's where you're wrong Vroom. You're either with us, or against us, remember?

And if you're against us, you get swift-boated, and dixie-chicked. And morons like Zap claim you sound bitter, and wonder why.

You see Vroom, in todays US you're a true patriot if you encourage people to enlist and be killed in Iraq, so a few companies can make lots of money. You have to be carefull though. A true patriot doens't himself enlist. He's more like a recruiting officer you see.

So you tell these guys that they should enlist and go over there. The problem starts when they get back, a little bit wiser, asking questions. You don't like them asking questions. So you swift-boat them again.

Works like a charm.

Don't tell anybody though.

"are they really this stupid" he asks.
Are you Zap?