Patrick Arnold Versus Phillies

From ESPN:

Suspended Philadelphia Phillies reliever J.C. Romero has filed suit against a nutritional supplement manufacturer alleging an unlisted ingredient in one of its products caused him to test positive for a substance banned by Major League Baseball.

Romero, suspended for the first 50 games of the 2009 season, says he tested positive for steroids last August because a supplement he was taking, 6-OXO Extreme, did not specify it included androstenedione, a banned substance.

He filed suit Monday in Camden County, N.J., seeking punitive and compensatory damages.

Romero also named as defendants the corporate owners of two nutritional stores where he purchased 6-OXO Extreme, alleging sales clerks assured him it would not cause a positive test for a banned substance.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
From ESPN:

Suspended Philadelphia Phillies reliever J.C. Romero has filed suit against a nutritional supplement manufacturer alleging an unlisted ingredient in one of its products caused him to test positive for a substance banned by Major League Baseball.

Romero, suspended for the first 50 games of the 2009 season, says he tested positive for steroids last August because a supplement he was taking, 6-OXO Extreme, did not specify it included androstenedione, a banned substance.

He filed suit Monday in Camden County, N.J., seeking punitive and compensatory damages.

Romero also named as defendants the corporate owners of two nutritional stores where he purchased 6-OXO Extreme, alleging sales clerks assured him it would not cause a positive test for a banned substance.[/quote]

I was just about to make a post about this. He’s also suing GNC and Vitamin Shoppe. Interesting…considering that he chose the words of store employees over the MLB Supplement Hotline that is available to all players(which he never used).

I give him alot of credit for the fact that he is willing to back up his talk by willingly taking this to court. they are going to try and dig up all kinds of shit on him. he’s either innocent or a complete idiot.

Sure, let’s play the blame game, it’s the American way.

Fuck that guy, he’s a moron. Anyone with half a brain knows the kid behind the counter in most Supplement shops doesn’t know his ass from his biceps.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:

Fuck that guy, he’s a moron. Anyone with half a brain knows the kid behind the counter in most Supplement shops doesn’t know his ass from his biceps.[/quote]

hahahaha AGREED.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:

Fuck that guy, he’s a moron. Anyone with half a brain knows the kid behind the counter in most Supplement shops doesn’t know his ass from his biceps.[/quote]

Every athlete…especially baseball…should be familiar with Patrick Arnold by now. Why even play with fire taking an ErgoPharm supplement like 6-OXO?? If the World Anti-Doping Agency has it on their “No-No” List…it should say something.

Maybe the 4-etioallocholen-3,6,17-trione on the label is misleading. I guess putting 4-Androstene-3,6,17-trione on the label wouldn’t have been “practical” for ErgoPharm.

BUT,with the wealth of information concerning pro-hormones…especially ErgoPharm products…Mr.Romero has little to no room for excuses.

I think this is an interesting case…he followed the guidelines set by MLBPA whose official stance was anything sold over the counter in the U.S. is ok. In addition 6-oxo was cleared by not 1 but 2 nutritionists.

And, according to Peter Gammons, MLB knew about 6-oxo 3 months before they decided to tell the Player’s Association about it.
Pair this with the fact that MLB offered Romero a lesser 25 game suspension if he admitted guilt and it smells like same political bullshit that brought us the Mitchell Report.

I have no idea why lawyers would decide to go after GNC and VitaminShoppe for reasons already express by others in this thread, and that’s why I think this looks interesting.

How can he prove he was using 6 oxo and not some steroid and he’s just lying to save his ass?