Path to 600

I’m looking for help from guys that have hit 600+ on the deadlift. I finally got hit the 500lb mark.

I am unfortunately still using straps. But that is another issue.

Here is what I’m doing right now.

5x5 405 once a week, will increase by ~5%/week.
6" rack pulls 525, increase 5% per week.

I attempt a max lift every 2 weeks. Current max is 505. I fail 515 at the top 1/4 of the lift, which has always been my sticking point. I’ll attempt 525 about a week and a half from now.

Interestingly, I wasn’t able to hit 500 till I dropped back squats from my routine, and did more front squat/zercher squat work.

Non deadlift work includes: Zercher Squats, Hack Squats, Front Squats.

Open to any suggestions.

I haven’t hit 500 yet, that’s my goal. Some things I’ve added to my workout are Good mornings and Pull throughs. These are all done with my feet at deadlift width. I pull sumo style but squat with a fairly narrow stance so I’ve decided to do my hamstring and core work at sumo width.

OK ill give my 2 cents right quick.

IMO your maxing way to damn often and also attacking the DL a bit wrong. your trying to take it head on which is great to a point but can be taxing as hell. Put those two thing together and your asking to very very slowly get to that 600.

Oh and get that grip issue fixed IMO first its great and all to lift 600 but IMO much better to do it without aid.

anyhow I would mix it up a bit more. Using SLDL’s, heavy GM’s, rack pulls, pull from deficite. heavy box squats, pulls with heavy band resistance to really overlaod that top end sticking point. Concentrate on firing those hips glutes. I have the same sticking point now going for my next PR @ 615-620. Get those hips under you fire that ass through and the body will follow suit.

Only go for your regular competition DL once every 6 weeks or so. Alternate this stuff as well. Dont shy away from repping out on some days. Like the SLDL. get to a load around a 5 rep and just go balls out and get as many as you can.

In the end sure its going to take lifting heavy shit. But Im know Ive had a ton of luck by staying away from my sumo DL to bring it up. Vary stance, do those exercises listed above, vary the rep schemes, really listen to your body, them damn heavy pulls can be taking, Im only doing any kind of heavy pull now every other week and light pulls on the other weeks along with a heavy form of sqautting.

Those GM’s are going to be HUGE, as will anything that brings up your glutes and hams. Learning to fire those hips and glutes again etc.

sorry this post is kinda of mixed and in no order Im just waking up LOL I hope you can pull something out of hear that helps, attack the DL by going around it is the take home message bring those othert lifts up and it will go up.

for some more help you might want to stop by our thread over in strength sports, westside and PLing thread. there are a few of us in there pulling 600+ and many close and well none of us is satisfied striving to get MORE.

Styay strong lift heavy and hard go home and recover.

Phill

[quote]Z-Man wrote:
I’m looking for help from guys that have hit 600+ on the deadlift. I finally got hit the 500lb mark.

I am unfortunately still using straps. But that is another issue.

Here is what I’m doing right now.

5x5 405 once a week, will increase by ~5%/week.
6" rack pulls 525, increase 5% per week.

I attempt a max lift every 2 weeks. Current max is 505. I fail 515 at the top 1/4 of the lift, which has always been my sticking point. I’ll attempt 525 about a week and a half from now.

Interestingly, I wasn’t able to hit 500 till I dropped back squats from my routine, and did more front squat/zercher squat work.

Non deadlift work includes: Zercher Squats, Hack Squats, Front Squats.

Open to any suggestions.

[/quote]

Oh and yes the front squats etc will help. they are forcing the lower back to be used more though largely in a statci hold but I wouldnt reject the back sqaut even more with your sticking point now being where it is. thats screams glutes and hams to me.The heavyu back squats with wide stance will help there.

Phill

Thanks for the info… and I should have put this in Strength sports.

Read some goood info about “poor lockout strength”. I think my hams may be relatively weak, so I’ll also be adding SLDL’s or Romanians, as well as good mornings.

And point taken about not trying to max every 2 weeks.