Paternity Testing

[quote]fraggle wrote:
I can’t help but think there would be blind rage towards the mother.

It would not be about punishing the child, but I don’t know if I could make myself rationalize it the way you describe.[/quote]

Oh yeah, you will hate the mother with the passion of 1,800 Suns, but you won’t have to rationalize one second of loving your child.

He or she will be your child at that point. You won’t have to justify anything, you will just be her or his dad.

If anything, you’ll have to rationalize not loving the child at that point.

[quote]Christine wrote:

[quote]Charlie Horse wrote:

[quote]Christine wrote:

What are the laws if the parents break up and the father wants to test if he’s the father. If it turns out he isn’t does that mean he does not have to pay child support? [/quote]

The law considers what is in the best interest of the child.

I think it basically varies between jurisdictions, but yes, there are cases where a non-biological ‘father’ has been required to pay child support.[/quote]

Maybe that should be changed, or not. :-/

Is it in the best interest of the child for everybody to know who it’s father is at birth? It’s like it’s the rights of an innocent child(without choices) to have both parents as long as possible vs the rights of a man who may be a fool(but had choices).

It seems more complicated when you get into it as far as what’s best and who is more important.
[/quote]

Sometimes blissful ignorance is really the best.

I would think that a law such as this would potentially lead to more divorces and single parenthood.[/quote]

It probably would, and given that, society as a whole would probably be much worse off.

But the injustice of being forced to pay for a kid you know wasn’t yours is a bit much for me to accept. If I did so willingly is one thing.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]fraggle wrote:
I can’t help but think there would be blind rage towards the mother.

It would not be about punishing the child, but I don’t know if I could make myself rationalize it the way you describe.[/quote]

Oh yeah, you will hate the mother with the passion of 1,800 Suns, but you won’t have to rationalize one second of loving your child.

He or she will be your child at that point. You won’t have to justify anything, you will just be her or his dad.

If anything, you’ll have to rationalize not loving the child at that point.[/quote]

Okay, second attempt.

You are probably right, but I think when the day comes I will be planning a daddy (?) and me dna test outing. :slight_smile:

What are the laws if the parents break up and the father wants to test if he’s the father. If it turns out he isn’t does that mean he does not have to pay child support? [/quote]

Up here paternaty is all but meaningless. Step fathers who are financially supportive during a remarriage have a legal obligation to support his wife’s child if the marriage ends. I.E. there can be multiple men paying support for a single child. One for being the father, and another just because he was kind enough to put a roof over his now ex-wife’s kid’s heads. No good deed goes unpunished as they say.

“Support payments” are a scam no matter wether the kids are yours or not. If the kids aren’t yours, it’s juts that much worse, because while all men are crucified in the family court, it’s not your cross to bear. The heart of the matter remains however that the rights of “non-custodial parents” are disproportionatly low compared to their enormously increased responsabilities, while their children (biological or otherwise) will generally not live anywhere near the standard of living the “support payments” should provide.

[quote]Christine wrote:

It was in July 2007 when Mike L. asked the Pennsylvania courts to declare that he was no longer the father of his daughter. For four years, Mike had known that the girl he had rocked to sleep and danced with across the living-room floor was not, as they say, “his.” The revelation from a DNA test was devastating and prompted him to leave his wife ? but he had not renounced their child. He continued to feel that in all the ways that mattered, she was still his daughter, and he faithfully paid her child support. It was only when he learned that his ex-wife was about to marry the man who she said actually was the girl’s biological father that Mike flipped. Supporting another man?s child suddenly became unbearable.

[/quote]

Poor man.

[quote]grettiron wrote:

I’d prefer the government stayed out of my personal affairs unless I invite them in.
[/quote]

x10^6[/quote]

x…a lot

I’m not sure why people would argue against this (except on the grounds of financial strain). I mean let’s face it, if you are faithful, you have no reason to worry.

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:

Up here paternaty is all but meaningless. Step fathers who are financially supportive during a remarriage have a legal obligation to support his wife’s child if the marriage ends. I.E. there can be multiple men paying support for a single child. One for being the father, and another just because he was kind enough to put a roof over his now ex-wife’s kid’s heads. No good deed goes unpunished as they say.

“Support payments” are a scam no matter wether the kids are yours or not. If the kids aren’t yours, it’s juts that much worse, because while all men are crucified in the family court, it’s not your cross to bear. The heart of the matter remains however that the rights of “non-custodial parents” are disproportionatly low compared to their enormously increased responsabilities, while their children (biological or otherwise) will generally not live anywhere near the standard of living the “support payments” should provide.[/quote]

I hear more stories about men getting away with paying little or nothing for child support but whatever. I think everyone suffers financially when it ends because now you are trying to support 2 households with the same amount of money as when it was just one.

Also I think when relationships end, it sometimes brings out the worst behaviour in people so I think there is nasty things on both sides. I think you hear the man’s side and I hear the woman’s side. Maybe?

Should men have a say in abortion too then?

Also:

go to www.travelocity.com

Search one way trip, destination Mexico.

Go to Mexico.

Live there.

Done.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

Also:

Go to Mexico.

Live there.

Done.[/quote]

I would never support a law that allows men to have a say in abortion.

Why Mexico?

[quote]Makavali wrote:
I’m not sure why people would argue against this (except on the grounds of financial strain). I mean let’s face it, if you are faithful, you have no reason to worry.[/quote]

Maybe it is an “American” point of view, IDK, but I just don’t want my government getting involved with my personal life on that level, unless I request them too.

As of two weeks ago my state tests for a dozen or so diseases at birth, the highest number in the nation I believe. If you have a baby in a Mass hospital you have to have the certain tests done, and can sign a paper to allow for 4-6 more. Cystic Fibrosis I believe is one of the tests.

So, somehow in my mind, I’m okay with the disease testing, but the paternity testing seems invasive to me… I can’t explain why.

But if they passed the law requiring the test, I wouldn’t be up in arms, I wouldn’t be happy about it, but it isn’t something that will make me want to occupy UMass Medical center.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

Also:

Go to Mexico.

Live there.

Done.[/quote]

Why Mexico? [/quote]
Then men should not have to share any of the responsibility in child rearing/support.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

And because mexico is cheap. Maybe half a mil budgeted right would last a comfortable lifetime. On the beach. A mexican beach. And as far as I know, they wouldn’t go to the effort to extradite you for child support. But you can go anywhere you want really.

[quote]fraggle wrote:

I don’t know the laws, but I know a guy who is currently getting screwed over by a crazy ex wife.

He and his ex were getting divorced, and he wanted know how much money she needed for their three year old daughter. She told him he didn’t have to pay, as the child wasn’t his.

Present day, nearly ten years later he received a letter welcoming him to the family maintenance enforcement program, and he owes nearly $100,000 in child support arrears. He had a paternity test back when it originally happened, but apparently his ex wife is arguing that he knew the kid wasn’t his and didn’t care.

His new wife told me that their first consultation with a lawyer revealed that there was an outside chance he could have to pay, but it was too early to tell. Not great news considering they just had a kid last year. [/quote]

Honestly, it really doesn’t matter what the court says you owe. If you don’t have the money to pay, theres nothing they can do. He either has the money or he doesn’t. It might as well be he owes 10 million. If he has no money, he has no money. simple as that.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

Also:

Go to Mexico.

Live there.

Done.[/quote]

Why Mexico? [/quote]
Then men should not have to share any of the responsibility in child rearing/support.

And because mexico is cheap. Maybe half a mil budgeted right would last a comfortable lifetime. On the beach. A mexican beach. And as far as I know, they wouldn’t go to the effort to extradite you for child support. But you can go anywhere you want really.[/quote]

You’ll just have to control your cock or resort to murder/assault. It’s like you are arguing that it is unfair that only women can get pregnant. lol

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

Also:

Go to Mexico.

Live there.

Done.[/quote]

Why Mexico? [/quote]

And because mexico is cheap. Maybe half a mil budgeted right would last a comfortable lifetime. On the beach. A mexican beach. And as far as I know, they wouldn’t go to the effort to extradite you for child support. But you can go anywhere you want really.[/quote]

You’ll just have to control your cock or resort to murder/assault. It’s like you are arguing that it is unfair that only women can get pregnant. lol

[/quote]
No it’s not. How is it fair that two adults can make a decision to have sex but only one gets to control the outcome?

Strawmen are fun but keep your reply on point, if you can reply :wink:

Edit: And control your vagina for that matter.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

Also:

Go to Mexico.

Live there.

Done.[/quote]

Why Mexico? [/quote]

[/quote]
No it’s not. How is it fair that two adults can make a decision to have sex but only one gets to control the outcome?

Strawmen are fun but keep your reply on point, if you can reply :wink:

Edit: And control your vagina for that matter.[/quote]

The law is not practical. Do we force unnecessary operations on people? There is also sometimes a danger of damage to the mother? Does this right(you want to have) to get rid of the child you helped create give you the right to put the mothers life/reproductive health in danger?

Are condoms that expensive in Houston?

I’d prefer the government stayed out of my personal affairs unless I invite them in.
[/quote]

Plus who pays for this?

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[/quote]

Plus who pays for this? [/quote]

residents of the state who pay income/sales taxes…

I’m sure the state would get a discounted rate based on sheer volume, and it would create a handful of jobs at the testing center, but I’m curious what education funding they would cut to afford this?

Because we all know that is the first funding to get chopped, our future.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[/quote]

Plus who pays for this? [/quote]

residents of the state who pay income/sales taxes…

I’m sure the state would get a discounted rate based on sheer volume, and it would create a handful of jobs at the testing center, but I’m curious what education funding they would cut to afford this?

Because we all know that is the first funding to get chopped, our future.[/quote]

Also since this my home state, is there really a question that the daddy is most likely the brother or the grandfather?

Do we really need to know that most family trees are telephone poles?

What this really means Beans, is this representative probably has been approached by the screening company. Back door shit going on I can guarantee, kickbacks etc.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Back door shit going on I can guarantee, kickbacks etc. [/quote]

It being government, I’m pretty sure there isn’t a single piss taken in that statehouse without some sort of kickback.

I’m from Mass, crooked government is our brainchild.