Patellar Tracking

Hey CT, I remember you saying you didnt like to squat because of patellar tracking issues that you had, and then I remember you saying that you bought an inexpensive band that worked magic for your knee. Would you be able to explain your symptoms that you had when you squatted without the knee? and also, can you give me the name of the band that you bought for it? Thanks

[quote]Joeyc123 wrote:
Hey CT, I remember you saying you didnt like to squat because of patellar tracking issues that you had, and then I remember you saying that you bought an inexpensive band that worked magic for your knee. Would you be able to explain your symptoms that you had when you squatted without the knee? and also, can you give me the name of the band that you bought for it? Thanks[/quote]

I actually couldn’t squat at all. I could go down to about a 100 degrees knee angle, at 90 degrees it felt like being stabbed by a knife in the middle of the patella.

Any sporting good stores carry the band I bought. It’s a patellar strap. I bought the one by Mueller but others will work just as well. I had three of my athletes use it and their knee pain went away while training with it.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]Joeyc123 wrote:
Hey CT, I remember you saying you didnt like to squat because of patellar tracking issues that you had, and then I remember you saying that you bought an inexpensive band that worked magic for your knee. Would you be able to explain your symptoms that you had when you squatted without the knee? and also, can you give me the name of the band that you bought for it? Thanks[/quote]

I actually couldn’t squat at all. I could go down to about a 100 degrees knee angle, at 90 degrees it felt like being stabbed by a knife in the middle of the patella.

Any sporting good stores carry the band I bought. It’s a patellar strap. I bought the one by Mueller but others will work just as well. I had three of my athletes use it and their knee pain went away while training with it.
[/quote]

Thanks for this post. Coincidentally just recently I incurred same exact type of pain, like a nail going right through my knee cap, but don’t recall doing anything to cause it. Hope this band works.

Did VMO work help you, CT? Things like Peterson step ups, terminal knee extensions, etc.
Also, I have found Farmer’s Walk to help a lot of people who suffer from knee pain.

[quote]bro1989 wrote:
Did VMO work help you, CT? Things like Peterson step ups, terminal knee extensions, etc.
Also, I have found Farmer’s Walk to help a lot of people who suffer from knee pain.[/quote]

Actually I did use a lot of VMO work (and even farmer’s walk) with one of my hockey player and it helped a lot. But that was before I found the band. The cool thing is that it allowed me to retrain my legs and now that they are stronger I don’t seem to get the pain even without it.

[quote]bro1989 wrote:
Also, I have found Farmer’s Walk to help a lot of people who suffer from knee pain.[/quote]

Actually I did use a lot of VMO work (and even farmer’s walk) with one of my hockey player and it helped a lot. But that was before I found the band. The cool thing is that it allowed me to retrain my legs and now that they are stronger I don’t seem to get the pain even without it.[/quote]

Strength solves a lot of problems.

A lot of people recommend VMO work for patellar tracking and while it seems to work for a lot of people, there are some studies coming out saying you can’t preferentially recruit the VMO over the VL when it comes to knee extension-type movements (there was actually a meta-analysis of EMG studies saying this as well). The caveat here is that these studies tend to use exercises like the single-leg raise, isometric quad work, and TKE’s. I would like some studies to be done using Peterson and/or Poliquin step-ups.

[quote]bro1989 wrote:

Actually I did use a lot of VMO work (and even farmer’s walk) with one of my hockey player and it helped a lot. But that was before I found the band. The cool thing is that it allowed me to retrain my legs and now that they are stronger I don’t seem to get the pain even without it.[/quote]
In regards to the patellar jumper’s knee strap, it is pretty interesting and I have a couple different brands of those as well. Studies seems to suggest that while there is no alteration of the patella’s tracking, there is a noted decrease in perceived pain and this may be due to proprioception.

However what remains UNPROVEN is whether VMO force output can be altered by modifying length-tension and competing forces in control of the patella. [Phew… that’s enough VMO reading for me today]