Patellar Tendonitis

[quote]Jaynick77 wrote:

[quote]Aches89 wrote:

[quote]cubuff2028 wrote:

[quote]Aches89 wrote:

[quote]cubuff2028 wrote:
This is a rare case where I like the leg extension machine. 2 up, one down (ie eccentric emphasis) leg extensions work amazingly well for patellar tendonitis. Each rep (the lowering part) should last about 30 seconds. Of course use a conservative load and use pain as your guide. You should feel very mild discomfort in the inflamed tendon. If it’s screaming at you, use less weight. I could write pages on the unsuccessful remedies I used prior to this working…

I got the idea from this article or one like it: Eccentric Exercise [/quote]

Thanks bro! I will definitely give this a shot. How often would you do it throughout the week? I do Squats on Monday, and Deadlifts on Thursday. Would I do this as accessory work or maybe a warm up?

I’ve also heard others mention Decline Eccentric Squats?[/quote]

I would drop the squats for now. You will be trying to decide, “is this working?” and even light squats will add a variable that will muck up your “data” (ha). How often? I did the protocol I mentioned earlier 5-6x/week prior to each workout. I made sure to do it first because it’s really boring and I’d have a tendency to skip it if I put it off. I felt a noticeable decrease in the pain on day 2! Within a week I could watch a movie in the theater or drive a long distance without agony. I don’t know how fast you will respond, but you should notice some improvement in short time. When should you start squatting again? This is guesswork in person, let alone over the internet. The best I can say is use pain as your guide.

-Russell Peele

P.S. to make sure i’m not completely talking out of my ass, I just texted an orthopedic surgeon (currently team doc for the Orioles) friend asking, “When does patellar tendonitis require surgery?”
His response, “failed conservative management.” He’s in clinic right now so he can’t elaborate, but you very well may already past this point. Either way, good luck!
[/quote]

Thanks again man. I honestly believe if I drop squats and use exercises that don’t aggravate my knees, and maybe find other ways of doing conditioning rather than sprinting 2-3 times a week,
And also use that eccentric exercise…I think this will really help.

Regardless, an MRI is a must.[/quote]

You’re crazy if you keep doing any lower body exercise at this point. If that one doctor is right and you’re “too hip dominant” here are some additional issues you can face if you end-up causing problems with your hip flexors from overuse. I’m not making this up either; it’s straight from a Structural Kiniesiology class I’m in.

• Tight psoas inhibits gluteus maximum; increases compressive forces in the lumbar spine
  • Tight psoas inhibits lumbo-pelvic-hip complex intrinsic stablization which increases translational and rotational stress in the lumbar spine during dynamic movement.
  • The Sartorious (supports hip function): Problems can cause compensation at the hip and KNEE external rotation.

You’re risking too much by continuing to do lower body exercise without medical guidance.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. From what my doctor and physiotherapist said; I can continue training legs, as long as it’s an exercise that doesn’t irritate my knees, and to stop anything that does. I’m giving up squats completely for a month or so. I find heavy deadlifts, that I did last night, caused no issues. Then I went on to do some eccentric leg extensions, good mornings, and hyperextensions, no issues at all. I feel like doing the eccentric leg extensions just one day, has already improved my knees.

Regardless if my knees feel better or not, I am calling my doc today and getting him to set up an appointment for an MRI.