Patellar Tendonitis

A few years back I started suffering from patellar tendonitis due to a softball injury. Everytime that I would squat I would have a severe pain in my patellar tendon. The pain became so severe that I had to stop squatting all together. I was still able to deadlift and perform leg presses with minimal to no pain. I recently started squatting again in January of this year with a severe loss in strength. Now I am starting to get my strength back and being able to squat heaby weight again and the tedonitis seems to be rearing its ugly head again. I am pretty sure this is not due to my form, I stay back on my heels to keep the pressure off my knees. I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this injury and had any suggestions.

DukeStrikes…two things fixed my persistent patellar tendonitis. Custom-fit orthotics (cost about $200 from a physical therapist) and foam-rolling my quads and IT band before/after squatting or dead-lifting. I’ve been pain free for a couple of years now. When I feel the slightest bit of patellar tendon pain after a squat workout, I make sure to get right on the foam roller and release that nasty trigger point that I get in my upper right quads. It never happens to my left knee…only my right. Not sure why. I’ve been able to add over 100lbs to my squat over the last couple of years. I do a lot of other hip mobility work, unilateral leg work, and stretching…but nothing has worked quite like foam rolling the upper quads. If all else fails, switch to box squats instead of conventional back squats, which will take a lot of pressure off your patellar tendon.

Best of luck to you!

I have actually wanted to start using a foam roller. Ill have to give that a try. Thanks for the advice bro. I have been working on my flexibility and box squats have worked in the past… I really just do not want to stop squatting again… I love it

[quote]RMichael wrote:
DukeStrikes…two things fixed my persistent patellar tendonitis. Custom-fit orthotics (cost about $200 from a physical therapist) and foam-rolling my quads and IT band before/after squatting or dead-lifting. I’ve been pain free for a couple of years now. When I feel the slightest bit of patellar tendon pain after a squat workout, I make sure to get right on the foam roller and release that nasty trigger point that I get in my upper right quads. It never happens to my left knee…only my right. Not sure why. I’ve been able to add over 100lbs to my squat over the last couple of years. I do a lot of other hip mobility work, unilateral leg work, and stretching…but nothing has worked quite like foam rolling the upper quads. If all else fails, switch to box squats instead of conventional back squats, which will take a lot of pressure off your patellar tendon.

Best of luck to you! [/quote]

^this ! + stretch the fuck out of your hips + do terminal knee extensions. you could also see a physiotherapist and get a tape. ice after you work out.