T Nation

Patellar Tendinitis

Ok T Nation, I'm at my wits end and am looking for info. I've been struggling with patellar tendinitis for nearly three years and have gone through basically all conventional therapy suggested.

I've seen a physiotherapist, he gave me streches and light exercise. Then he tried shockwave, I wore a band for jumpers knee and then a brace. After about a year he recommended a sports tharapist.

The sports therapist recommended some stretches and exercise...lol...then he tried dextrose injections...none of which helped much. He then referred me to a surgeon and said I could consider PRP(platelet enriched plasma injections).

I've also tried prolotherapy, which is pretty cool, but hasn't helped much. I've been to the chiropractor, I've got orthotics for my shoes because my right foot is a little duck footed. I've been through acupuncture,which was useless. I am regularly seeing a massage therapist and am seeing another sports therapist who is trying to help me train the muscles around my right knee as well as some of my core.

The surgeon told me that a part of my tendon is basically dead and has recommended surgery to remove this portion of my tendon.

The whole experience has been pretty brutal as it seems most of these so called professionals don't really know piss all about how to help or even diagnose what's wrong. I have had to do a lot of research and basically tell them what I think it is.

About a year ago I tried some GH for about three months and it didn't do anything...it may have just been fake crap...lol.

So, what I would like to know, is there any steroid that I could try to help recovery in my patella tendon?

Deca, NPP? I would prefer to hear about people's experience and results rather then have someone post info from articles they have read....I've read them all too...lol. So many mixed opinions.

At this point I know I'm gonna run a cycle (I've tried everything but surgery), I'm just not 100% on what I should run.

Thanks for any info you got.

You should probably have surgery.

What dose GH were you running? GH is probably one of the most remarkable drugs at increasing collagen synthesis. Along with deca, EQ, primo and anavar.

[quote]Cobalt72 wrote:

The surgeon told me that a part of my tendon is basically dead and has recommended surgery to remove this portion of my tendon.
[/quote]

That sounds pretty serious?

Have you tried mega dosing fish oil? Look on the bottla and add up the total EPA+DHA per dose, and go for 5000mg a day. Increase the dose until the pain goes away or you get the shits. Try and find concentrated pills so you don’t have to eat like 100 of the motherfuckers per day.

Also maybe look into BPC 157 and injecting it subq into the extra skin around your knee.

You maybe should listen to the professionals on this one though

[quote]nooberific wrote:

What dose GH were you running? GH is probably one of the most remarkable drugs at increasing collagen synthesis. Along with deca, EQ, primo and anavar.
[/quote]

i don’t think EQ does that… i’ve been researching that claim for a while, and have been unable to substantiate that at all.

chalk that up to another one of those fake articles that somebody typed up and circulated for years…

if the tendon is necrotic (dead), then you need to have it removed. it’s not gonna heal, and it’s only gonna get infected down the road…

i’d clarify that, because if that’s truly the case, you don’t have any choice here.

otherwise, i agree about the suggestions above. although i will say, i don’t think nandrolone (deca) doesn’t actually fix the issue, but just has a joint specific anti-inflammatory effect (acting on the progesterone receptor, i believe).

i’m dabbling with BPC-157 right now, but am not really sold yet. TB-500 is worth looking in to…

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:

[quote]nooberific wrote:

[/quote]

i don’t think EQ does that… i’ve been researching that claim for a while, and have been unable to substantiate that at all.

chalk that up to another one of those fake articles that somebody typed up and circulated for years…[/quote]

Interesting. Nice to know.

I was using Norvotrop and injecting 0.025mg every day. Maybe for my purposes this was a light dose?

I am very sceptical of what the pros have to say. The whole way through this experience they have flip flopped and no one has taken my pain very serious. I take fish oil regularly, but have not tried taking mass amounts. I’ve never heard of BPC - 157 or TB - 500, I will look into these. I understand that surgery may be required, but the Dr told me that it might not resolve the issue…lol, which is another reason I feel like they may not totally know what’s going on with my knee. I’ve had several friends suggest a light deca cycle may help me rehab the muscles around my knee, but as I don’t think its good to run deca without test and maybe I am wrong but isn’t test bad for collagen synthesis? Any thoughts?

[quote]Cobalt72 wrote:
I am very sceptical of what the pros have to say. The whole way through this experience they have flip flopped and no one has taken my pain very serious. I take fish oil regularly, but have not tried taking mass amounts. I’ve never heard of BPC - 157 or TB - 500, I will look into these. I understand that surgery may be required, but the Dr told me that it might not resolve the issue…lol, which is another reason I feel like they may not totally know what’s going on with my knee. I’ve had several friends suggest a light deca cycle may help me rehab the muscles around my knee, but as I don’t think its good to run deca without test and maybe I am wrong but isn’t test bad for collagen synthesis? Any thoughts?[/quote]

i don’t think testosterone inhibits collagen as much as it allows muscle to grow faster than them.

you could certainly try the deca/test (low-moderate dose) route and see if that helps, but my issue would be whether it works temporarily or long term.

^possibly try that and bump up your fish oil dose, and see if it helps??

i had a shitload of surgeries lately, and i understand your concerns, as i have a ton of pain still, and am wondering how much i’ll be able to work out down the road.

[quote]nooberific wrote:

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:

[quote]nooberific wrote:

[/quote]

chalk that up to another one of those fake articles that somebody typed up and circulated for years…[/quote]

Interesting. Nice to know.
[/quote]

by all means, keeping doing research on your own, as i might have missed something. i think when i was looking the most was when i was on a shitload of pain meds then, so i was pretty loopy…

Have you considered peg-mgf?

I’m going through a patellar issue on both sides myself, and looking into trying this.

I should add: Specifically to address any muscular imbalances that are making the situation worse on the cartilage.

[quote]dbmata wrote:
Have you considered peg-mgf?

I’m going through a patellar issue on both sides myself, and looking into trying this.[/quote]

another good option.

doesn’t this affect muscle more than joints/tendons, though?

Dammit, you replied before I got my edit in. lol.

Yeah, I neglected to add that the thought was to use it to help bring up muscle around the injury site in order to address any imbalances that might be adding to the problems.

I don’t think it will actually aid in cartilage healing, aside from removing irritants with proper phsyiotherapy.

Peg-mgf? I will have to read up. What kind of muscle imbalance are you dealing with?

[quote]Cobalt72 wrote:
Peg-mgf? I will have to read up. What kind of muscle imbalance are you dealing with?
[/quote]

mild atrophy in the vastus lateralis, bilaterally. Vastus medialis is also stronger than vas. lat., so pulling the patella medially during flexion. So lot of pt work to restore and bring up the vas. lat.

Reason I mentioned it, is that if there is atrophied muscles, there may be muscular imbalances wreaking havoc on movement, which in turn will lead to pain, anger, the dark side of the force these are.

I’m currently working with a kinesiologist/sports therapist to try and correct any muscle imbalances that are occurring and there are a few.