T Nation

Patellar Tendinitis

I have patellar tendinitis on both of my knees now from doing all the activities that i do (basketball, plyos, lifting? )

I was just wondering if theres anything else to these healing procedures im currently doing

1. Icing
  2. Foam Rolling on the kneecap or where it hurts
  3. Stretching the quads

Thanks, much appreciated for any help.

i’m interested in what people have to say as well. i’d had it since high school in my right knee, but it was more of a nagging injury that only bothered me when i wasn’t warmed up and after basketball or other sports.

recently, with rugby, indoor football, occasional basketball and weights, it had started to get worse again.

i got a neoprene knee sleeve back at the start of march, and have worn it every time i do a lower body workout or anything that involves running or jumping. while i still have some pain in the tendon when i flex my quad if it’s not warmed up, it feels better and i haven’t had any of those days when i know i’ve done damage to it.

i’m hoping with some stretching of the rectus femoris, and wearing the knee sleeve for another few months, i can reverse some of the damage i’ve done to it. this is all amateur medicine, of course. i’d like to know what some real athletes have found to be successful.

Try stretching out your ankles and hips as well. Worked for me a few years ago. I found out I had a tight Achilles and now I stretch that a couple times a week. No more knee pain. If you are playing basketball, I hope you are spenind a lot of time not wearing high top shoes.

[quote]Arioch wrote:
Try stretching out your ankles and hips as well. Worked for me a few years ago. I found out I had a tight Achilles and now I stretch that a couple times a week. No more knee pain. If you are playing basketball, I hope you are spenind a lot of time not wearing high top shoes.[/quote]

Yea i definately don’t do what an average basketball player does.

Of course since im a member of tmag that i know these things and plus my brother also helps me out and stuff.

Also i forgot to mention that i do warmups before and always always rub my knees when their cold, as well as stretch my hips and calfes

I have had a little ART done, which has helped. Based on that experience, focusing on the knee area or just the quads is not enough. One issue I had, which is apparently pretty common in running/jumping athletes, were overly tight soleus. Those were none to pleasant to roll.