Patella Tendonitis

[quote]MAF14 wrote:
@ ID

Couldn’t get through to you but just got back from Pilleggi’s office… Incredible. I feel awesome, thank you so much. Turns out my shoulder blade (or Lat was it? not sure) got stuck to the rib cage and was pulling on everything else. Best 50 bucks I’ve spent in a LOOOOONG time. Thanks again![/quote]

Ah, yes! My son had that same thing! Pileggi ripped the blade outta there! LOL

I hope you made a follow-up appointment before you left the office. It’s a 3-month wait usually.

Glad you finally went. It takes a bit of pain to relieve a lot of pain.

:wink:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
DO NOT TRAIN THROUGH IT!

I have done this THINKING that my warm-ups and ice-downs would suffice. But more micro-damage occurs and accumulates to the point where the condition can become chronic.

[/quote]
exactly… the tendinitis can lead to tendinosis if you don’t take care of it and rest it, and that will leave you with way more trouble… as in having to take damn near 3 months off![/quote]

In my case, it took 9 months.

Two years later I got it again… for 5 months.

And 7 months later, I got it again… presently dealing with it. I believe at this point it IS tendinosis, as I was foolish and didn’t heed the warnings as it came on gradually. I should have ceased all exercise that aggravated it immediately when I first experienced the symptoms. [/quote]

Oh dear.

Ive still got it. I think its worse than I first thought. I have stopped squatting and running altogether. I went cycling the other day, and it didnt really bother it, althought he next morning when I woke up the knee felt a little “toasty”. Is it still ok to deadlift and do hamstring based exercises?

About to go on holidays for 2 weeks, and Im hoping the 2 weeks off will be enough to get it under control.

Bird is the word.

tweet

Look into getting some ART done your knee. I got patellar tendinitis in both knees, lasted about 2 months. Went in physical therapy, that did absolutely nothing. They said stretch, did lots of that, did basic exercises nothing helped. It was really a waste of time. After one session of ART I was back to squatting no problem. Went for a second time and been good ever since.

I did a ton of posterior chain work, because I didn’t squat through it, and my squat maintained. Just do a healthy dose of deadlifts, hip thrusts, RDL’s, etc and your squat will maintain.

I don’t think taking two weeks off will do anything. Since I took close to 7 weeks off and it did nothing. I squatted through it for about 2-3 weeks for a pl comp, then stopped right after.
Go find a qualified ART practionner. Trust me it’s worth it.

[quote]ThePhiler wrote:
Look into getting some ART done your knee. I got patellar tendinitis in both knees, lasted about 2 months. Went in physical therapy, that did absolutely nothing. They said stretch, did lots of that, did basic exercises nothing helped. It was really a waste of time. After one session of ART I was back to squatting no problem. Went for a second time and been good ever since.

I did a ton of posterior chain work, because I didn’t squat through it, and my squat maintained. Just do a healthy dose of deadlifts, hip thrusts, RDL’s, etc and your squat will maintain.

I don’t think taking two weeks off will do anything. Since I took close to 7 weeks off and it did nothing. I squatted through it for about 2-3 weeks for a pl comp, then stopped right after.
Go find a qualified ART practionner. Trust me it’s worth it.[/quote]

Thank for the tip buddy.

I do know a guy who might be able to help me with ART, but Ill have to wait until I get back from my holiday. So your ART therapist directly worked on the patella tendon?? Did you have to rest it afterwards for any significant amount of time?

Anyone know any ART practitioners in Hong Kong?

tweet

Where are you experiencing pain? Mine was just above the patella. Yep he worked directly on the tendon, its a pretty easy area to reach. My ART therapist seemed to group any sort of knee pain to inflammation of the fibers of the tendon and musculotendinous area. I referred him a client with patella-femoral syndrome and again within a session pain free squatting. When I saw him I had just finished a deadlift workout that Saturday morning, and he said continue training like you normally would, so I squatted on Monday pain free.

Just some back ground: Patella tendinopathy is the correct terminology because there was previously a misconception that the pathology causing the pain was inflammatory in nature hence the name …itis. However it is now well established in the literature that the cause of the pain is in effect due to a degenerative process which takes place in the affected tendon/s. This is analogus to achilles tendinopathy. In any event the course of treatment for any of these types of problems is based on encouraging the tendon (which has poor vascularity) to heal and that is done through controlled progressive monitored loading.Now what should you do?

1- stretch your quadriceps mainly the rectus femoris which is responsible for many patella problems 2-foam roll the it band as this prevents internal tibial rotation causing poor knee tracking and on going problems 3-Stretch the hip flexors 4-strengthen glute med in isolation (initially) 5-DO ECCENTRIC STEP DOWN OFF A SLOPY BOX which is designed for teninopathy problems , in general hit loads of low res on step downs tons of them every day, go through moderate pain BUT not severe and the process stregthens the tendon up and gets rid of your problem forever, Ice after sessions and manipulate the tendon by hands on with a physio . SOrry about the "lecture" I hate to hear when people have knee problems! hope it helps man 

[quote]gifted gonads wrote:
Just some back ground: Patella tendinopathy is the correct terminology because there was previously a misconception that the pathology causing the pain was inflammatory in nature hence the name …itis. However it is now well established in the literature that the cause of the pain is in effect due to a degenerative process which takes place in the affected tendon/s. This is analogus to achilles tendinopathy. In any event the course of treatment for any of these types of problems is based on encouraging the tendon (which has poor vascularity) to heal and that is done through controlled progressive monitored loading.Now what should you do?

1- stretch your quadriceps mainly the rectus femoris which is responsible for many patella problems 2-foam roll the it band as this prevents internal tibial rotation causing poor knee tracking and on going problems 3-Stretch the hip flexors 4-strengthen glute med in isolation (initially) 5-DO ECCENTRIC STEP DOWN OFF A SLOPY BOX which is designed for teninopathy problems , in general hit loads of low res on step downs tons of them every day, go through moderate pain BUT not severe and the process stregthens the tendon up and gets rid of your problem forever, Ice after sessions and manipulate the tendon by hands on with a physio . SOrry about the "lecture" I hate to hear when people have knee problems! hope it helps man [/quote]

great advice here.

1- stretch your quadriceps mainly the rectus femoris which is responsible for many patella problems 2-foam roll the it band as this prevents internal tibial rotation causing poor knee tracking and on going problems 3-Stretch the hip flexors 4-strengthen glute med in isolation (initially) 5-DO ECCENTRIC STEP DOWN OFF A SLOPY BOX which is designed for teninopathy problems , in general hit loads of low res on step downs tons of them every day, go through moderate pain BUT not severe and the process stregthens the tendon up and gets rid of your problem forever, Ice after sessions and manipulate the tendon by hands on with a physio . SOrry about the "lecture" I hate to hear when people have knee problems! hope it helps man [/quote]

Thanks for the help buddy.

How do strengthen the glute med in isolation? By step downs, do u mean single leg squats.?

You can lecture me anytime. Thanks again.

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:

Thanks for the help buddy.

How do strengthen the glute med in isolation? By step downs, do u mean single leg squats.?

You can lecture me anytime. Thanks again.

tweet[/quote]
There’s a lot of stuff you can do for glute med work. Side-lying leg raise, x-band walks, lateral walking while you push a 45 lb. plate on the side of your foot, standing band hip abduction. Eventually when you go back to squatting, you should be pushing your knees out. That hits the glute med like no other if you really focus on it and all those rehab exercises won’t be necessary anymore once you squat like that.

By single-leg squats, I think he’s talking about eccentric single-leg squats on a decline board. I believe a lot of studies have confirmed that this is the most effective exercise for treating patellar tendinosis. It should hurt a little bit but should get better as you keep doing it.

Thank peanut butter Andy.

Much appreciated. Long live T-Nation!

tweet

Be sure to add banded clamshells into your program.

Keep the band ABOVE the knees as this will greatly reduce any chance of irritation to that area.

Exercises such as banded x walks may be better suited as a progression to help integrate the glute med/min. The reason I’m not a fan of pushing a load to the side with the foot is this has the potential to irritate the LCL. You’ve already got issues with the patellar tendon. Why throw more wood on a fire your trying to extinguish…?

As your recovery improves, you also may want to incorporate staggered stance RDLs holding a weight (db or kettlebell) in the contralateral side. Instead of a pure uni-lateral RDL, the non-working leg is placed behind and slightly out to the side for a modicum of stability. At first, use that back foot as much as necessary to maintain good form. As you improve in technique, intermuscular coordination, etc. keep that back foot in contact with the ground but place as little weight on it as possible. A cue I often give is to imagine a cracker between that back foot and the ground and to not break the cracker.

Obviously, the logical progression from this is the standard uni-lateral RDL with a db or kettlebell on the contralateral side. If possible, I prefer the kettlebell as its shape lends itself to a more balanced feel. And the reason I have the individual hold it on the contralateral is side is because that weight will try to twist you in that direction. By resisting this twist, your glute med/min are being recruited.

I’m going to remind you to start with the least aggressive movement such as the clamshells. Progress only when you are certain and progress in the most conservative manner. The kaizen principle doesn’t just apply to hitting PRs.

Someone mentioned that you should stretch the rectus femoris and this is good advice. I haven’t read every response to this thread but be sure to incorporate smr work as well. And not just the obvious spots such as the IT band. You also want to address the vastus lateralis, medialis, rectus, sartorius. Finding and addressing trigger points can be tricky so you’ll need to be patient. The most common sequence is general warm-up, smr, static stretch, rehab/prehab movements to integrate. Variations in this sequence are individual specific.

As for becoming more efficient at recruiting the VMO, I’ve had great success with TKEs in the people I help. Add light taps to the area with your finger tips as your performing them; this can increase neural efficiency. The VMO is a key player in many patellar tendon issues.

Another very little known technique I’ve applied to help others is to strengthen the popliteus. This small muscle can often be a key player in stability. I don’t know what type of equipment you have access to. But most have access to a cable station. You can try clipping a stirrup type of attachment and performing unilateral standing leg curls. Be sure to place both hands on for support and place the non-working foot on the ground firmly for support. I often recommend this over the machine leg curl for two reasons: 1) for rehab/prehab purposes, I lean towards some movement at the hip in conjunction with movement at the knee; 2) the machine would have to fit you damn near perfectly in order to prevent other issues.

And safely performing exercises that target flexion at the knee will contribute toward stabilizing the knee. Anyone who says that you do not need to perform variations of the the leg curl (in which the primary focus is flexion of the knees) is ABSOLUTELY WRONG. I already mentioned the popliteus. Also, there are movements in sports that rely on flexion at the knees with minimal movement at the hip. For example, a mountain bike racer who needs to climb a steep sandy hill must keep his butt on the saddle (to prevent the rear wheel from washing out) and he must apply a circular force to the pedals (again, to prevent the rear wheel from washing out). This is just one example. And let’s not forget the biceps femoris short head, due to where it originates and attaches, is next to impossible to train with movements such as RDLs, stiff-legged deads, etc.

Knee injuries are mercurial and I (as well as others on this thread) have only scratched the surface. If you are serious about resolving this, you should consider giving updates with possible video.

The guys are correct re the gluten med stuff.be patient and have a monitored training program including load and running tempo etc.Do ice after sessions.u must ensure that ice is applied to control the resultant inflammation az those inflammatory debris surrounding tendon interfere with healing.once u are asymptomatic then reduce/eliminate ice and apply heat.email me personally,you if need be,

I used to get patellar tendonitis quite often during track season. I found that improving my hamstring flexibility greater helped prevent it from reoccurring. Also, the classic panacea of ice, compression, and elevation always helped treat it. Maybe take some fish oils.