T Nation

Patella Tendonitis

Hi friends,

I have a little bit of tendonitis in my right knee patella.

Is there are any stretchers or anything I can do to promote recovery?

tweet

There is on high quality randomized controlled trial showing eccentric exercise is effective for patellar tendinopathy.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/39/2/102.full

If you have a true ‘itis’ the idea of MICE works: movement, ice, compression, elevation. Let your body heal and modify your training to assist.

I’ve had this in both knees. A bunch of things to help you (if you only choose to do one, do the physical therapy!):

Google patellar tendonitis physical therapy. Pick a good rehab regimen and do it religiously. Make sure to incorporate this exercise it is a LIFESAVER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY98htXP0O4

I do not recommend doing ICE (ice, compression, elevation). Those things all reduce blood flow and inflammation in the tendon. Although it will give temporary relief, you want to keep that blood flow and inflammation because that is what heals the injury. Yes it will be more painful for a while but it is much more likely to heal properly and not re-occur. For these reasons, also avoid anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen, advil, etc). Tylenol is ok but remember, your body is giving you pain for a reason!

Self massage techniques (tutorials on youtube)

A lot of people have tight hamstrings what with all the sitting in chairs we do in this age. Stretch them out multiple times a day. Quads too to make sure theres no imbalances, but focus on hams. foam rolling if you want to

Make sure you have no significant muscular imbalances in your legsg.

Dont wear shit shoes.

Thanks Olifter1 and Ray567.

Ive had this problem before, also in colder months. Previously I have not given it any specific treatment but kind of “trained throught it”. Interestingly, the problem only surfaced after I had a couple of rest days of complete rest.

Tonight I did some mobility and went for a light run in the park on grass. There was some discomfort, but nothing too bad. Almost feels that the light session made it feel a little better. Im thinking I might try to “train through it” again, but hope I dont do any serious damage.

Ray567; regarding the video of the eccentric exercise; was that guy doing that with a weighted back-pack? Do you reccommend I incorperate that move into my warm-up?

Thanks again.

tweet

Foam roll the shit out of our quads and IT band. Also, taping.

had it in my right knee, body weight slow squats with the heel elevated, roller on the IT band and get hip muscles checked by a pro, mine was cured in about 4/5 weeks after having it for 1.5 years with a few hip ecercises and glute medius somehting to do with inward rotation when walking, hope that helps

how bad is it? is it limiting your activity? i had pretty bad patellar tendonitis three summers ago, to the point where i could barely squat down. went to physical therapy for about a month or so and the ultrasound/stim did wonders on it.

I have few injuries myself and although I also counted for eccentric training as a rehab method eventually chosde the opposite - concentic method. Why? - you don’t stress/demage your legs as much and you have less soreness. For my knees (probably similar problem) I am dong backward stair climbing and lots of sled work + tons of glute work, foam rolling and stretching (gip flexors, quads, calf muscles).
One precaution: use painless rage of motion and loading (probably you will have to use lower weghts than with eccentric loading).

Thanks for your concerns little buddies.

At the moment Im just ignoring the injury and plan to train through it. Hopefully its not a stupid thing, but I hope like before, it just goes away by itself.

Which makes me ponder, its strange how some injuries go away by just ignoring them(patella tendonitis), while there are others that you make worse by training with them(groin injury last year).

tweet

you’ll be fine as long as it’s not limiting and the pain isnt excruciating. if it gets to that point then you risk rupturing your patella from what i understand. one of the most serious injuries there is lol training through is the way to go though

Make sure your hip flexors arent tight as fuck. Once i started stretching my flexors daily my tendon pain went away in my knees.

Thanks buddies.

Those “dreaded hip flexors” hey. I swear they will be the end of the world as we know it.

tweet

Be very careful with your knees! Even if you feel that training through it is helping, make sure you give it proper rest and ice (I know ray recommended the opposite, but I was told by my doc that the ice increases the blood flow to the area - meh, helped me anyway).

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/09/episode-33-fgb-push-press-prep-hot.html

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/05/voodoo-band-your-patella-femoral-pain.html

DO NOT TRAIN THROUGH IT!

I have done this THINKING that my warm-ups and ice-downs would suffice. But more micro-damage occurs and accumulates to the point where the condition can become chronic.

• Go lighter for a while and start slowly andgradually building up the weight on all exercises

• Start using knee wraps. Wraps, not sleeves, because you can adjust how much support you want with wraps.

• Ice and foam rolling.

• Get some veterinarian liniment like blue heat and use it generously.

• Acupuncture will help, if you can afford it.

• Find a movement that doesn’t botter the area and hammer away.( personally back squats hurts my knees but I don’t get any pain from front squats)

• Terminal knee extensions should be part of your rehab.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
DO NOT TRAIN THROUGH IT!

I have done this THINKING that my warm-ups and ice-downs would suffice. But more micro-damage occurs and accumulates to the point where the condition can become chronic.

[/quote]
exactly… the tendinitis can lead to tendinosis if you don’t take care of it and rest it, and that will leave you with way more trouble… as in having to take damn near 3 months off!

also, look into patellar tendon straps on amazon and KT tape applications (youtube).

Knee strap brands I particularly like are the McDavid one. Shock Doctor is OK, Mueller is OK as well. McDavid is my fav though.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
DO NOT TRAIN THROUGH IT!

[/quote]
exactly… the tendinitis can lead to tendinosis if you don’t take care of it and rest it, and that will leave you with way more trouble… as in having to take damn near 3 months off![/quote]

In my case, it took 9 months.

Two years later I got it again… for 5 months.

And 7 months later, I got it again… presently dealing with it. I believe at this point it IS tendinosis, as I was foolish and didn’t heed the warnings as it came on gradually. I should have ceased all exercise that aggravated it immediately when I first experienced the symptoms.

@ ID

Couldn’t get through to you but just got back from Pilleggi’s office… Incredible. I feel awesome, thank you so much. Turns out my shoulder blade (or Lat was it? not sure) got stuck to the rib cage and was pulling on everything else. Best 50 bucks I’ve spent in a LOOOOONG time. Thanks again!