Patella Femoral Syndrome

Issue with my right knee…

Doc took X-Ray and couldn’t see any issues so concluded issue is behind knee cap…

Raising weight not a problem… lowering is… i.e. no problem comming up out of a squat but pain when lowering down in the hole…

Power style squats and box squats ok with knee angle kept aroun 90 deg…

Started PT but no real program given to me yet…

My issue is that I’ve been compensating with my left leg so much that there is now a strength and size imbalance between my right an left leg… This really bothers me…

Now doing one leg leg presses with flexion not going beyond 90 deg with heels high on plate…

Anyone elese have this type of issue… How did you resolve???

Would any type of cortisone inhection help my right knee enough for me to rehab and correct the strength imbalance???

Thanks for any advice…

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Unfortunately PFS is a ‘catch all’ diagnosis. It literally means “a collection of symptoms that arise from a dysfunction at the joint between the femur and the patella”. Well duh, if we have pain around the knee then any doofus can ‘diagnose’ PFS.

What you need to do is accurately ascertain which of the structures and tissues are directly contributing to your problem.

That needs an expert in real life, not internet bods. However things to consider might be:

weak VMOS
Tight ITBs

Good luck!

BBB[/quote]

Thnks for the reply…

Ortho doc was really vauge after nothing showed on xray so ya PFS was pretty broad…

PT guys torqued my leg and Knee Cap into every conceivable position and couldn’t come up with accurate disgnosis…

Showed them the exact deg of flexion that caused pain but they were still unable to diagnose either…

MRI perhaps… dunno…

OP does your bad knee hurt going down stairs but fine going up? The reason I ask is because I’ve been having the same type of symptoms as yourself with my right knee for sometime. Going down stairs somedays is not fun at all for me. The rest of the time it’s not too bad, somedays no pain at all. Same with lunges, I can only tolerate reverse lunges now.

There was an article written here about this kind of knee pain awhile back I believe that might be helpfull, can’t recall the name though.

Now that I think of it my knee pain started after the Bakers syst(which was incidentaly diagnosed accurately by BBB) went away a couple years ago. Related?/hi-jack, sorry lol.

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
OP does your bad knee hurt going down stairs but fine going up? The reason I ask is because I’ve been having the same type of symptoms as yourself with my right knee for sometime. Going down stairs somedays is not fun at all for me. The rest of the time it’s not too bad, somedays no pain at all.[/quote]

Stairs are an issue sometimes… Going down much more than going up…
Pain occurs in the knee cap when leg is bent somewhere between 90 degree and straight…
Almost exactly between 90 and straight…
To trigger it must be under load and lowering is much worse…

Went to PT again today and still no real diagnosis or advice…

They asked what I was doing at home and I told them about the light one legged leg presses that I can do wo pain…

They pretty much told me to keep doing that and ice afterwards…

I guess they ruled out anything major… I guess im just a little imapatient and want to what it is and how to fix it now… :wink:

Sprained low back was much easier to resolve a few years ago…

Just hope that this is something I can correct before it becomes chronic…

Imbalance between right leg and left really bothers me…

BBB’s guess is what I’m thinking and hope it’s eaisly resolved through isolated leg work…

Although my left leg is fine…

Anyone ever have an injection into their knee???

I’m wondering if I could do this to help me long enough to get the right leg up to speed… kinda a temporary bandaid fix…

Might be overkill… I also have no idea what the potential drawbacks to an injection in the knee might be… would like to hear from other lifters who may have had this done…

Thanks agin for the replies…

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Check out ‘prepatella bursitis’ and ‘infrapatella bursitis’.

Does it hurt when you kneel?

BBB[/quote]

Thanks

Ill do some reading on those…

Doesen’t hurt to kneel…

Figured a little more out last pt session…

pain is prevalant at approx 120 degree of flexion… dissapears right above or below this point of flexion…

The more warmed up I am the less it bothers me…

Strength diff beteen legs is about 15%… guestimate based on one leg leg press… Right leg is not quite as weak as I thought… But for about the past 18 mo or so I’ve really been overcompensating the left…

Try this test for me

• sit on the floor legs straight, place a sock or small pillow under the back of the affected knee
  • place one had over the belly of the VMO and one hand over the Vastus Lateralus
  • extend the knee as to squash the pillow / sock and monitor which quadricep fires first

What if the issue starts at the ankles or hips and then causes a problem at the knee? When you squat, do your knees buckle in at all? A weak glute med would cause your knees to buckle in during a squat which places a valgus force on the knees which would obviously cause PTF pain. Since they have looked directly at the knee and haven’t found anything I think it would be time to start looking at the joints around the knee to get some answers. But I’m just a 1st year DPT student so I haven’t learned too much yet.