T Nation

Patella Dislocation

I dislocated my patella for the second time. The first time was about 5 years, and had surgery(lateral release and stitching the inner tendon of the patella tighter). Now, it dislocated again. But this time, minimal swelling, minimal pain, and 4 days later I almost have 100% of the range of motion and it progressing really fast. Should I consider surgery again? It feels like I am going to lose another 4-6 months for nothing.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
I dislocated my patella for the second time. The first time was about 5 years, and had surgery(lateral release and stitching the inner tendon of the patella tighter). Now, it dislocated again. But this time, minimal swelling, minimal pain, and 4 days later I almost have 100% of the range of motion and it progressing really fast. Should I consider surgery again? It feels like I am going to lose another 4-6 months for nothing.[/quote]

I would speak with the Ortho who did the op to get his thoughts.

Then - and this is important - get several other opinions from orthos outside of his circle of influence.

[quote]56x11 wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
I dislocated my patella for the second time. The first time was about 5 years, and had surgery(lateral release and stitching the inner tendon of the patella tighter). Now, it dislocated again. But this time, minimal swelling, minimal pain, and 4 days later I almost have 100% of the range of motion and it progressing really fast. Should I consider surgery again? It feels like I am going to lose another 4-6 months for nothing.[/quote]

I would speak with the Ortho who did the op to get his thoughts.

Then - and this is important - get several other opinions from orthos outside of his circle of influence.[/quote]

I have spoken to 5 different ones, including the one who did the surgery. All of them suggested surgery again. Well, they can fuck off and suck my dick, I am not paying again close to 5k only to have it dislocated again. In reality, I was just looking for someone who has the same problem as me and see what he did and how it turned out.