T Nation

Patching Motorcycle Gas Tank

Alright, here’s the deal; I bought an older bike, and the gas tank needs patching or replacing.

A brand new tank would cost around $600, so I’d rather not go that route if possible. One person said to have it welded, but when I talked to an experienced welder (owns his own company that does that kind of thing), he said it would most likely develop pinhole leaks soon after being welded.

He then recommended I go to a boat shop, and buy the fiberglass stuff they use to patch boats with, and use that, since it’s apparently very reliable stuff. So I called a boat shop, and the lady said she didn’t think using the fiberglass stuff was a good idea.

I don’t know if she really knows what she’s talking about though, the welder guy on the other hand has lots of experience with motorcycles.

I know there’s a good chunk of people with motorcycles here, any suggestions?

Was this a boat shop or a boat repair shop? I would find a reputable repair shop and talk to someone that actually does the work.

What about a used tank that is in good condition? There are lots of forums for bikes where people buy and sell parts. I have bought lots of good parts for pennies on the dollar. Do a search for your bike and forum.

done lots of work on 1973-1978 kawis and pinhole rust holes are very common, best bet is a new tank. i have welded in patches before but takes a TON of work to look good ever again.

Yeah this is a 1990 zx600. Suppose I’ll start looking for used tanks for now, and see what I can find. Trouble is it’s just so dang hard to find them for an 18 year old bike.

[quote]Game_over wrote:
done lots of work on 1973-1978 kawis and pinhole rust holes are very common, best bet is a new tank. i have welded in patches before but takes a TON of work to look good ever again.[/quote]

x2

It’s too cheap and easy to find a good used one to mess with repairs.

Also, if you get a nut to weld tanks yourself, be careful – liquid gasoline doesn’t explode, but vapors do. Make sure it’s cleaned and dried before welding.

[quote]Game_over wrote:
done lots of work on 1973-1978 kawis and pinhole rust holes are very common, best bet is a new tank. i have welded in patches before but takes a TON of work to look good ever again.[/quote]

ya get a new tank
or find a bike that was laid down in a yrd and get a used tank

I have patched up tanks before also but it is a pain.
takes alot of time and work
you are better off sourcing a tank

Thanks guys. Another tank it is.

If you say the tank just has pinholes, or even slightly larger holes, and or rust you can go to your local motorcycle shop or online to get this 3 part kit called KREEM. I used to work at a motorcycle shop for about three years and sold many of these kits and all the customers loved the stuff.

Not one complaint on it. The kit goes for like 35 bucks. Here is a quick link for ya…
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/72/7405/ITEM/Kreem-Combo-Pack.aspx?SiteID=YourAmigo|kreem%20repair%20kit&WT.mc_ID=10099

Well well. Just when I though it was obvious what the best route was…I’ll look into it, thanks for the reply.