T Nation

Pat Tillman S.I. Cover 2006

Thought I’d post this for those that haven’t seen it yet. Rest in peace, Pat.

[quote]FCFighter wrote:
Thought I’d post this for those that haven’t seen it yet. Rest in peace, Pat.[/quote]

Okay I dont realy know much about this guy but why’d they put him on the cover over like all the other soldiers that have died.

[quote]bigroman wrote:
FCFighter wrote:

Okay I dont realy know much about this guy but why’d they put him on the cover over like all the other soldiers that have died.[/quote]

While I semi agree with you, I think you should have searched the name and read about him for a minute, I think you would have understood.

[quote]bigroman wrote:
FCFighter wrote:

Okay I dont realy know much about this guy but why’d they put him on the cover over like all the other soldiers that have died.[/quote]

Because he was a professional athlete, and that magazine is called “Sports Illustrated”.

Now, if Time or Newsweek or something to that effect chose to put him on their cover right now, you might have an argument.

I respect Pat Tillman and everything he did, I think it’s kind of lame for SI to bring him on the cover to just sell issues. Hopefully there’s a meaningful article in there about him.

[quote]bigroman wrote:

I’m going to try to restrain myself from getting in any sort of arguement in this thread. The only thing I’m going to reply is that it is the cover of a magazine about sports and Tillman played for the Arizona Cardinals.

For anybody else that wants to point out that he shouldn’t be put above all the other soldiers that died, he’d most certainly agree if he were here today.

My interest in Tillman is how he lived his WHOLE life, not just his military career. He lived it his way and not at the expense of others. I wish to someday have half his spirit, his courage, his ability to transcend barriers with someone that he has absolutely nothing in common with;his thirst for knowledge, his athleticism, his ability to totally disregard popular opinion and do what HE thought was right.

That’s my definition of a T-man.

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
I respect Pat Tillman and everything he did, I think it’s kind of lame for SI to bring him on the cover to just sell issues. Hopefully there’s a meaningful article in there about him.[/quote]

The article is good. Most of it is from the perspective of a Ranger, Russ Baer, that was in Tillman’s unit and was present at the time of his death.

Okay I just want to clarify something,I had no clue who this guy whas and that he whas an athlete. And I wasnt trying to start a fight about putting him on it, I just didnt know that he whas an athlete so I whas wondering why they would just put 1 guy on it outta all the others that have died.

[quote]bigroman wrote:
Okay I just want to clarify something,I had no clue who this guy whas and that he whas an athlete. And I wasnt trying to start a fight about putting him on it, I just didnt know that he whas an athlete so I whas wondering why they would just put 1 guy on it outta all the others that have died.[/quote]

I understand, but it would have taken about one minute (or less) to have googled/wikipedia’d the name and ascertained that pretty much…the guy’s a legend. Literally

[quote]ironbug wrote:
bigroman wrote:
Okay I just want to clarify something,I had no clue who this guy whas and that he whas an athlete. And I wasnt trying to start a fight about putting him on it, I just didnt know that he whas an athlete so I whas wondering why they would just put 1 guy on it outta all the others that have died.

I understand, but it would have taken about one minute (or less) to have googled/wikipedia’d the name and ascertained that pretty much…the guy’s a legend. Literally[/quote]

Okay well my bad.

yeah, I just got the Tillman issue in the mail today.

I thought the article was pretty good. Some parts got a little corny with the dramatic philosophizing on SI’s part.

But I’m not being cynical about it. I think SI was trying to do Pat justice as a 3 dimensional human being, especially after the rare move to walk away from a multimillion dollar NFL contract to become an Army Ranger.

the article was quite informative as well. I did not know that he was in Iraq before he was sent to Afghanishtan. Also, it was the first time I had read that Tillman believed the war in Iraq was “illegal”. I say that not to spark a political debate on this thread, but rather why would he then go to Afghanistan? SI made it seem like he had a choice…

I think that it is shame that the Army is on its fifth investigation and still cannot give any straigtht answers to his family.

[quote]bigroman wrote:

Okay well my bad.[/quote]

Interesting. You took the time to read this post, and click ?respond.? Yet before doing so, you did not find it necessary to spend 60 seconds looking up what you were ?responding? to.

How about this??.next time you simply start running your mouth, then backing it up with pathetic comments like ? MY BAD? save yourself the humiliation and learn who exactly you are talking about.

Indeed, Pat Tillman was a true T-MAN. And for that Sports Illustrated is commemorating his achievements. Period.

[quote]DNIC wrote:
bigroman wrote:

Okay well my bad.

Interesting. You took the time to read this post, and click ?respond.? Yet before doing so, you did not find it necessary to spend 60 seconds looking up what you were ?responding? to.

How about this??.next time you simply start running your mouth, then backing it up with pathetic comments like ? MY BAD? save yourself the humiliation and learn who exactly you are talking about.

Indeed, Pat Tillman was a true T-MAN. And for that Sports Illustrated is commemorating his achievements. Period.
[/quote]

WOW you pmed me the exact same message, I sent you a response and what the hell is your problem. Im not trying to back up anything or running my mouth.

[quote]FCFighter wrote:
bigroman wrote:
Okay I dont realy know much about this guy but why’d they put him on the cover over like all the other soldiers that have died.

I’m going to try to restrain myself from getting in any sort of arguement in this thread. The only thing I’m going to reply is that it is the cover of a magazine about sports and Tillman played for the Arizona Cardinals.

For anybody else that wants to point out that he shouldn’t be put above all the other soldiers that died, he’d most certainly agree if he were here today.

My interest in Tillman is how he lived his WHOLE life, not just his military career. He lived it his way and not at the expense of others. I wish to someday have half his spirit, his courage, his ability to transcend barriers with someone that he has absolutely nothing in common with;his thirst for knowledge, his athleticism, his ability to totally disregard popular opinion and do what HE thought was right.

[/quote]

Good post fighter!

D

[quote]FCFighter wrote:
Thought I’d post this for those that haven’t seen it yet. Rest in peace, Pat.[/quote]

We gave him our “Testosterone Man of the Year” in 2002:

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=248hero2

[quote]TC wrote:
FCFighter wrote:

We gave him our “Testosterone Man of the Year” in 2002:

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=248hero2

[/quote]

I’m a Charger and a Lions fan, but have never been one to ever wear jerseys or team logos on my clothes at all. I do However have one jersey, and it’s the Arizona Cardinals, #40, and it says Tillman on the back.

An amazing American.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
I’m a Charger and a Lions fan, but have never been one to ever wear jerseys or team logos on my clothes at all. I do However have one jersey, and it’s the Arizona Cardinals, #40, and it says Tillman on the back.

An amazing American.

[/quote]
Yeah, it’s the only jersey I’ve got too. I’ve only worn it once to a St. Louis Cardinals game last year(it was the only “Cardinals” gear I had). I got a couple compliments on it.

I haven’t worn it since because I don’t know what some would think of it or just wouldn’t understand. Well I’m going to start wearing it more. Pat wouldn’t give a second thought to someone else’s small-minded opinions. Why should I?

I guess I thought some would have the same reaction as my wife, the eye-roll.

She doesn’t understand, but I don’t blame her. I was seriously considering the military at the age of 29 largely due to Pat Tillman. She knew that and was in disagreement with my decision , therefore didn’t exactly share my zeal for anything that had to do with Tillman.

Then the opportunity to become a firefighter came along. I really felt like if I’d decided to enter the military it would’ve been the end of my marriage. I don’t regret my decision to become a fireman. It’s a very fulfilling job. I’d like to think it would have been a fitting occupation for Pat had he not been such a gifted athlete.

But I should’ve signed up to be a soldier when I was younger and single. That is something I will always regret. But if I’ve learned one thing from Pat, it’s don’t live in regret. Don’t should’ve, would’ve, could’ve. Start looking foward.

Start living life like every day is your last. That’s what he did. And I’d like to think I’m a better man because of him, a man I never met but felt like I knew well.

[quote]FCFighter wrote:

[/quote]

I’ve got to admit I have no interest in following any sport whatsovever that doesn’t involve straight up fighting so I had no idea who Pat Tillman was until this tragedy occurred. Everything I have read about this guy since makes me agree with you 100 percent. This guy goes in the all time T-Man hall of fame as far as I’m concerned.

A real MAN and human being who should be on covers of magazines to remind us all what sacrifice, honor and spirit really are.

[quote]FCFighter wrote:
BradTGIF wrote:

An amazing American.

Yeah, it’s the only jersey I’ve got too. I’ve only worn it once to a St. Louis Cardinals game last year(it was the only “Cardinals” gear I had). I got a couple compliments on it.

I haven’t worn it since because I don’t know what some would think of it or just wouldn’t understand. Well I’m going to start wearing it more. Pat wouldn’t give a second thought to someone else’s small-minded opinions. Why should I?

I guess I thought some would have the same reaction as my wife, the eye-roll.

She doesn’t understand, but I don’t blame her. I was seriously considering the military at the age of 29 largely due to Pat Tillman. She knew that and was in disagreement with my decision , therefore didn’t exactly share my zeal for anything that had to do with Tillman.

Then the opportunity to become a firefighter came along. I really felt like if I’d decided to enter the military it would’ve been the end of my marriage. I don’t regret my decision to become a fireman. It’s a very fulfilling job. I’d like to think it would have been a fitting occupation for Pat had he not been such a gifted athlete.

But I should’ve signed up to be a soldier when I was younger and single. That is something I will always regret. But if I’ve learned one thing from Pat, it’s don’t live in regret. Don’t should’ve, would’ve, could’ve. Start looking foward.

Start living life like every day is your last. That’s what he did. And I’d like to think I’m a better man because of him, a man I never met but felt like I knew well.

[/quote]

Don’t do it for Pat, do it because you want to. He wouldn’t want people following him blindly just because of who he is.

[quote]DNIC wrote:
bigroman wrote:

Okay well my bad.

[/quote]

Leave the guy alone. He is a Canadian so he is a bit ignorant of real sports and he apologized.

But as you said Tillman was indeed a true T-man!