T Nation

Pat Tillman Movie

Anyone see the new movie on Pat Tillman?

No… but what a way to exploit an actual American hero.

[quote]SSC wrote:
No… but what a way to exploit an actual American hero.[/quote]

You mean the way Bush tried doing?

I think Pat would want the truth exposed, and from what I’ve heard, this film will be doing so.

Havent heard of it. Ridiculous if its anything other than a documentary.

I hadn’t heard of it until now either, but I’m relieved that it’s a documentary and not a dramatization (although some documentaries are dramatized to an extent).

The trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaMAVAqef7I

The trailers make it seem like a true documentary, not an actual “movie”.

EDIT: I love the part where everyone is like “I don’t remember, I can’t recall, It’s a guess…”

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

I think Pat would want the truth exposed, and from what I’ve heard, this film will be doing so. [/quote]

Fair enough, I will admit I did NO research on the topic whatsoever (relevent info should be posted) ;).

If that is true, I will definitely be checking it out. That whole situation was shady as hell.

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

I think Pat would want the truth exposed, and from what I’ve heard, this film will be doing so. [/quote]

Fair enough, I will admit I did NO research on the topic whatsoever (relevent info should be posted) ;).

If that is true, I will definitely be checking it out. That whole situation was shady as hell.[/quote]

Shady is right. I hope to see the film as well.

In addition, Pat was a hero for not only giving his life for his country, but he was also very vocal about his resentment against the US invasion of Iraq. That took balls, especially at that time when anyone who spoke out against the war was usually labeled unpatriotic.

I have been a huge fan of Pat Tillman since he was a walk on at Arizona State and never given a second thought. I was just entering high school. He was the ultimate underdog back then going against all odds and making it (big).

Then he turned away millions (6M) of dollars to fight for his country in follwoing 9/11.

Picture of him in my office has been i0n there for years. I wish I could scan the other photo and email right next too it. I don’t have a scanner but will see what I can do.

Here’s to this fierce warrior!

I may have more interest in this topic than the average bear…

Anywho here is a cell phone picture of office (corkboard).

Here is the story that goes with the photo on the left.

Leading the fight is Gunnery Sgt Michael Burghardt, known as ‘Iron Mike’ or just ‘Gunny’. He is on his third tour in Iraq He had become a legend in the bomb disposal world after winning the Bronze Star for disabling 64 IEDs and destroying 1,548 pieces of ordnance during his second tour.

Then, on September 19, he got blown up. He had arrived at a chaotic scene after a bomb had killed four US soldiers. He chose not to wear the bulky bomb protection suit. ‘You can’t react to any sniper fire and you get tunnel-vision,’ he explains. So, protected by just a helmet and standard-issue flak jacket, he began what bomb disposal officers term ‘the longest walk’, stepping gingerly into a 5 foot deep and 8 foot wide crater.

The earth shifted slightly and he saw a Senao base station with a wire leading from it . He cut the wire and used his 7 inch knife to probe the ground. ‘I found a piece of red detonating cord between my legs,’ he says. ‘That’s when I knew I was screwed.’

Realizing he had been sucked into a trap, Sgt Burghardt, 35, yelled at everyone to stay back. At that moment, an insurgent, probably watching through binoculars, pressed a button on his mobile phone to detonate the secondary device below the sergeant’s feet. ‘A chill went up the back of my neck and then the bomb exploded,’ he recalls. ‘As I was in the air I remember thinking, ‘I don’t believe they got me.’ I was just ticked off they were able to do it. Then I was lying on the road, not able to feel anything from the waist down.’

His colleagues cut off his trousers to see how badly he was hurt. None could believe his legs were still there. ‘My dad’s a Vietnam vet who’s paralyzed from the waist down,’ says Sgt Burghardt. 'I was lying there thinking I didn’t want to be in a wheelchair next to my dad and for him to see me like that. They started to cut away my pants and I felt a real sharp pain and blood trickling down. Then I wiggled my toes and I thought, ‘Good, I’m in business.’

As a stretcher was brought over, adrenaline and anger kicked in. I
decided to walk to the helicopter. I wasn’t going to let my team-mates see me being carried away on a stretcher.’ He stood and gave the insurgents who had blown him up a one-fingered salute. I flipped them one. It was like, ‘OK, I lost that round but I’ll be back next week’.’

Copies of a photograph depicting his defiance, taken by Jeff Bundy for the Omaha World-Herald, adorn the walls of homes across America and that of Col John Gronski, the brigade commander in Ramadi, who has hailed the image as an exemplar of the warrior spirit.
Sgt Burghardt’s injuries - burns and wounds to his legs and buttocks - kept him off duty for nearly a month and could have earned him a ticket home. But, like his father, who was awarded a Bronze Star and three Purple Hearts for being wounded in action in Vietnam , he stayed in Ramadi to engage in the battle against insurgents who are forever coming up with more ingenious ways of killing Americans.

[quote] […]Here is the story that goes with the photo on the left.

Leading the fight is Gunnery Sgt Michael Burghardt…[/quote]

Awesome!

It’s not that it’s a war movie. It’s about courage, sacrifice, and the truth.

The guy was a class act in college, a real warrior in football. While at USC, he was given the utmost respect when devising offensive schemes and game plans. He was a gentleman and a beast wrapped up in one. He was taken WAY too early.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
[/quote]

Your post kind of doesn’t make sense now…

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

If that is true, I will definitely be checking it out. That whole situation was shady as hell.[/quote]

I read his Mom’s book. The situation was shady as hell but it seemed she didn’t know what she was talking about either. I feel bad for her being squeezed between two factions for political gain.

So has anybody actually seen the movie?

[quote]Grneyes wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
[/quote]

Your post kind of doesn’t make sense now…
[/quote]

It made sense when you realize I had replied to someone saying it’s just a war movie.

I would like to see this movie. It’s a really shitty situation and it sucks that it was exploited because Tillman was a celebrity. I understand why ‘they’ (government/military) released the story how they did… No one wants to find out their son, brother, friend ect. died from friendly fire because of a comms issue. If Tillman wasn’t who he was then the actual story of the green on green probably would never have came out. Everyone would have gone on thinking that Tillman died in a battle with insurgents and remembered him a’s a great American hero (which he is)

He and his family were exploited and I feel bad for them… It’s a really shitty situation.

I’m not saying by making this movie that Pat and his family are being exploited. Hopefully the profits from this movie are going towards the wounded warriors foundation or something similar. I’m sure Pats family isn’t in need of monetary compensation so I’d like to see the profits go towards helping families like the Tillmans who lost someone overseas.

If that’s not happening and the profits are going to some studio execs then fuck them and I hope their studio burns to the ground :slight_smile:

[quote]gregron wrote:
If that’s not happening and the profits are going to some studio execs then fuck them and I hope their studio burns to the ground :)[/quote]

Even with all the reverence in this thread, I had to laugh at that one!

lol