T Nation

Pat Robinson on Young Earth Bullsh*t

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/11/28/pat-robertson-creationism-earth-is-not-6000-years-old_n_2207275.html

Stating the obvious

And everyone with half a brain says “well, duh.”

They come around, it just takes them a lot longer than everyone else. A LOT longer.

[quote]H factor wrote:
And everyone with half a brain says “well, duh.”

They come around, it just takes them a lot longer than everyone else. A LOT longer. [/quote]

And yet there are some on this forum who firmly believe in young earth nonsense.

I guess they have somewhat less than half a brain.

No one on this forum believes that nonsense

[quote]storey420 wrote:
No one on this forum believes that nonsense[/quote]

Unfortunately not correct.

[quote]storey420 wrote:
No one on this forum believes that nonsense[/quote]

Look on the “Bill Nye #2:Creationism is not appropriate for children” thread. You will get your lol’s.

I think he’s a cretin, but good for him on this one.

[quote]smh23 wrote:
I think he’s a cretin, but good for him on this one.[/quote]

+1. It’s nice to see someone in his position letting everyone know that science and religion don’t need to be opposing viewpoints.

james

This is the very issue that created a huge divide between Tiribulus and I. I lamented the fact that I thought a large number of people, including many intelligent young people, were turned off by the church vigorously forcing the creationist story as fact in spite of all the clear evidence that it was allegory. I still have problems with my church over this very issue. It is just plain silly.

For clarification, this is a section of my reply to Tiribulus…

"My affiliation is Baptist. Where I differ is in the literal interpretation of some aspects of the Old Testament. Honestly, when I contemplate The Big Bang, the precision, beauty and total lack of chance, I could not imagine anything more Godly. I often wonder how many beautiful, bright, searching souls we turn away at the gates because we demand that they suspend the use of their beautiful God given minds and accept the “six day creation story.” And please know that if anyone chooses to believe this story literal and not allegory that I have absolutely no problem with that as well. Until someone can convince me that either version can materially affect my ability to serve God by allowing him to serve others through me I refuse to allow it to be a point of contention.

C S Lewis, in “Mere Christianity” warned how we as the body of Christ should not bicker in the open with one another about the differences between our affiliations as this impedes our ability to spread the Gospel. Once we help someone to accept Jesus as their personal Savior there will be plenty of time to debate the other. "

I am very happy to see Robinson take this stance.

[quote]JEATON wrote:
when I contemplate The Big Bang, the precision, beauty and total lack of chance, I could not imagine anything more Godly. I often wonder how many beautiful, bright, searching souls we turn away at the gates because we demand that they suspend the use of their beautiful God given minds and accept the “six day creation story.” And please know that if anyone chooses to believe this story literal and not allegory that I have absolutely no problem with that as well. Until someone can convince me that either version can materially affect my ability to serve God by allowing him to serve others through me I refuse to allow it to be a point of contention. [/quote]

Very well said.

Without a literal first man created by the hand of God before the presence of death, Jesus was a liar and there is no such thing as Christianity. Robertson hasn’t had any credibility with me for quite a while. This is just a reminder of why.

But if we understand time and the idea of time to be a complete illusion then isnt an arguement over how “old” or “young” something is illogical? If time doesnt exist, created by man and not by the cosmic then ultimately we are arguing with ourselves. Our own perception of time is skewed, constantly, so relating a man made device to that of Source would be a little tough/non-sense, no?

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Without a literal first man created by the hand of God before the presence of death, Jesus was a liar and there is no such thing as Christianity.[/quote]

And yet, the earth is billions of years old. What a dilemma you have.

[quote]hipsr4runnin wrote:
But if we understand time and the idea of time to be a complete illusion then isnt an arguement over how “old” or “young” something is illogical? If time doesnt exist, created by man and not by the cosmic then ultimately we are arguing with ourselves. Our own perception of time is skewed, constantly, so relating a man made device to that of Source would be a little tough/non-sense, no? [/quote]

Coo-coo for coco-puffs

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Without a literal first man created by the hand of God before the presence of death, Jesus was a liar and there is no such thing as Christianity. Robertson hasn’t had any credibility with me for quite a while. This is just a reminder of why.[/quote]

Tirib Robertson does not contradict the Bible. Animals were created before man.

[quote]hipsr4runnin wrote:
But if we understand time and the idea of time to be a complete illusion then isnt an arguement over how “old” or “young” something is illogical? If time doesnt exist, created by man and not by the cosmic then ultimately we are arguing with ourselves. Our own perception of time is skewed, constantly, so relating a man made device to that of Source would be a little tough/non-sense, no? [/quote]

Time itself is an illusion based on speed and location in space. This post is spot on.

There is no need to dispel of science. Acting like dinosaur bones were put here just so we doubt God is not logical.

All Christians do not believe the Earth is only 6,000 years old.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Without a literal first man created by the hand of God before the presence of death, Jesus was a liar and there is no such thing as Christianity. Robertson hasn’t had any credibility with me for quite a while. This is just a reminder of why.[/quote]

This post confuses me. I don’t have any feelings at all towards Robertson because I avoid most media outside of movies and music. How is Jesus a liar based on this statement?

Living animals were allowed to live on another planet and then their bones were brought here after they died when the Earth was formed 6,000 years ago?

[quote]ranengin wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Without a literal first man created by the hand of God before the presence of death, Jesus was a liar and there is no such thing as Christianity.[/quote]

And yet, the earth is billions of years old. What a dilemma you have.

[/quote]

Would you have felt compelled to say this if Tirib had wrote :
“Without a literal first man dreamed into existence by the Rainbow Serpent during the Dreamtime, our Ancestors were liars and the aboriginal culture is wholly worthless.” ?