Pat Robertson?

Before I judge this guy, did he really say that Ariel Sharon’s stroke was the wrath of god for giving away land to the arabs?

[quote]MikeShank wrote:
Before I judge this guy, did he really say that Ariel Sharon’s stroke was the wrath of god for giving away land to the arabs?[/quote]

I’m not sure if he did say that but the guy is a complete bafoon.

[quote]Zeppelin795 wrote:
MikeShank wrote:
Before I judge this guy, did he really say that Ariel Sharon’s stroke was the wrath of god for giving away land to the arabs?

I’m not sure if he did say that but the guy is a complete bafoon.[/quote]

I generally agree. I’ve never thought that a religous person had much authority with international politics but of course the rare event ( martin luther king and the jim crow laws ) does lend itself to them voicing their opinions

Robertson Links Sharon Stroke, God’s Wrath

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060105/ap_on_re_us/robertson_sharon

By SONJA BARISIC, Associated Press Writer Thu Jan 5, 6:12 PM ET

NORFOLK, Va. - Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson suggested Thursday that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon’s stroke was divine punishment for “dividing God’s land.”

“God considers this land to be his,” Robertson said on his TV program “The 700 Club.” “You read the Bible and he says This is my land,' and for any prime minister of Israel who decides he is going to carve it up and give it away, God says, No, this is mine.'”

Sharon, who ordered Israel’s withdrawal from Gaza last year, suffered a severe stroke on Wednesday.

In Robertson’s broadcast from his Christian Broadcasting Network in Virginia Beach, the evangelist said he had personally prayed about a year ago with Sharon, whom he called “a very tender-hearted man and a good friend.” He said he was sad to see Sharon in this condition.

He also said, however, that in the Bible, the prophet Joel “makes it very clear that God has enmity against those who ‘divide my land.’”

Sharon “was dividing God’s land and I would say woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course to appease the EU (European Union), the
United Nations, or the United States of America,” Robertson said.

In discussing what he said was God’s insistence that Israel not be divided, Robertson also referred to the 1995 assassination of Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, who had sought to achieve peace by giving land to the Palestinians. “It was a terrible thing that happened, but nevertheless he was dead,” he said.

The Anti-Defamation League issued a statement urging Christian leaders to distance themselves from the remarks. Robertson made similar comments as the Gaza withdrawal occurred, it said.

“It is outrageous and shocking, but not surprising, that Pat Robertson once again has suggested that God will punish Israel’s leaders for any decision to give up land to the Palestinians,” said Abraham H. Foxman, national director of the group, which fights anti-Semitism. “His remarks are un-Christian and a perversion of religion. Unlike Robertson, we don’t see God as cruel and vengeful.”

The Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, said a religious leader “should not be making callous political points while a man is struggling for his life.”

“Pat Robertson has a political agenda for the entire world, and he seems to think God is ready to take out any world leader who stands in the way of that agenda,” Lynn said in a statement.

Robertson spokeswoman Angell Watts said of critics who challenged his remarks, “What they’re basically saying is, `How dare Pat Robertson quote the Bible?'”

“This is what the word of God says,” Watts said. “This is nothing new to the Christian community.”

In August, Robertson suggested on “The 700 Club” that American agents should assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, who has long been at odds with U.S. foreign policy. Robertson later apologized for his remarks, saying he “spoke in frustration.”

Yeah, he’s a jackass.

Wow Pats spin machine seems to be crazier than Peta, GWB , and the terrorists for that matter

Pat Robertson may be declining into dementia. If he believes in the end time philosophy of Christianity bringing back Christ, he is misunderstanding it. The reason Christ is supposed to return is in response to Anti-Christ activity. So the only way to speed this up is to support actions that help the Anti-Christ. I don’t think he would be “judged” so well under those circumstances.

He really just doesn’t know when to stop, does he? For somebody who claims he is a follower of God and Jesus, he really doesn’t get the whole “judge not, lest ye be judged” thing.

I’m waiting patiently for his pronouncement regarding the West Virginia coal miners.

Maybe by burrowing into the earth they were already hellbound and were moving further from heaven.

I agree about the dementia, though.

If Sharon didn’t order the pull out would he live forever?

Robertson, is a bible thumping douche bag. He’s a fucktard. He even made the statement not too long ago that someone should assisinate, Venezuelan President Hugo Chaves. He needs to just keep his mouth shut but I can see it’s hard to shut it when you keep putting your foot in it.

He’s a douche bag, fucktard

Bullpup

Does Mr. Robertson think he’ll live forever?

I think old Pat has already had a couple of strokes.

Maybe he’s on to something though. Perhaps Clement Attlee died because he allowed the UN to split up “God’s Land”. We could rewrite history with the wisdom of our prophet Pat Robertson…

He also said, however, that in the Bible, the prophet Joel “makes it very clear that God has enmity against those who ‘divide my land.’”

Sharon “was dividing God’s land and I would say woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course”

*************First of all, all of the earth is God’s land, right? Did he lose ownership rights to all but Israel?

Secondly, if God is trying to make a statement, he is not being very transparent. Sharon is carrying 300+ pounds and the weight of knowing that 95% of the people living around him would like to kill him. He had a recent TIA, which is often a precursor to a stroke. So a fat, 77-year-old, with history of TIAs has a stoke, and that is a statement from God? Has God no sense of dramatic imagery? Now if a perfectly healthy leader from a powerful country involved in Israel’s dealings, a fairly young one obsessed with fitness, were to walk out and be struck by lightening, that would make a statement (hint, hint, God if you are reading).

As for the rapturey allusions, according to Revelations, for Jesus to return to Earth, the Temple Mount (which I think is currently in disputed territory) must be controlled by Israel. In addition, the Anti-Christ is supposed to emerge as the world leader, which is why globalization, the EU, and the UN are considered harbingers of the anti-Christ (i.e. if the Earth’s governments are mostly united, it will be easier for the anti-Christ to assume control of all men).

Just think this guy ran for President back in 1988. Scary thought.

If Christian groups are not denouncing this clown, does this mean that he indeed represents the spirit of Christianity?

I am disappointed in Christianity either because he does represent it, or because Christianity is not willing to state that he doesn’t.

Good job!

Hopefully they have since renounced him, but if so I haven’t seen it on the news anywhere… but hey, I can’t watch it all the time, so be a good Christian and forgive me if I’ve missed it.

Pat Robertson is the Howard Stern of Ministry. He’s the “shock” preacher…

[quote]vroom wrote:

If Christian groups are not denouncing this clown, does this mean that he indeed represents the spirit of Christianity?

I am disappointed in Christianity either because he does represent it, or because Christianity is not willing to state that he doesn’t.
[/quote]

Every religion has its nutjobs, if you want to go along with that line of thinking and assume that because a religion bids its own wackos little notice then a lot of the muslim groups that really havent said a whole lot about 9/11 need to be deported now - und er your line of reasoning.

IMO just because there is a highly public figure that makes all kinds of remarks , doesnt give the responsibility of other adherants of the same religion to stop and remark on the message’s validity or lack of it because i think that people in general would want to stay out of conflict of course Pat doesnt fit in this theory does he?

Robertson is a scumbag. I put nothing past him.

For a Christian, Pat Robertson is certainly living in the Old Testament.

It’s an interesting theological doctrine that has emerged in Fundamentalist protestant groups that the Christians need the Jews to carry out certain prophetical actions for the second coming to occur, one of which is to possess the promised land, slay the red calf, that the antichrist will emerge from the tribe of Dan etc…

He TRULY fears that the Jews are going to screw up the apocalypse by not fulfilling their end of some fictional inventions created from the book of Revelation.

You can see the theology of predestination is really the foundation for American protestantism, or whatever, pre-protestantism you want to call it.

Anyway, those are all facts, and I believe he would admit to all of those points if asked. My opinion: If God is going to reach down and give somebody a stroke for giving away some land for the sake of peace, he can also manage a second coming without any pitiful humans fullfilling any magical prophecies.

I’m always getting railed for bring up the obvious connection between Israeli and our fascist Christian right neocons but here’s the classic example.

These guys are dangerous lunitics because “peace” is not on their agenda. Sharon infuriated people like Pat by pulling out of Gaza.

[quote]
“God considers this land to be his,” Robertson said on his TV program “The 700 Club.” “You read the Bible and he says This is my land,' and for any prime minister of Israel who decides he is going to carve it up and give it away, God says, No, this is mine.'”[/quote]

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/05/ap/national/mainD8EUP88GB.shtml

Giving away God’s land to people who are NOT children of God…

Galilee biblical park on tap?
JERUSALEM (AP) - Israel is offering evangelical Christians a chunk of the Holy Land.

Thirty-five acres of rolling hills and rocky shores of the Sea of Galilee, tucked between key sites in Jesus’ ministry, would be leased to an association of evangelists led by American religious broadcaster Pat Robertson, Israeli tourism officials say.

The potential deal for turning over biblical lands to develop a tourist destination underlines how ties have strengthened in recent years between Israel and evangelical Christian groups that support the Jewish state.
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2006-01-01-bible-park_x.htm

The Temple Mount uprising
Hal Lindsey
I have been questioned in the past as to why I am so interested in the rebuilding of the Temple. The answer is that it absolutely must be rebuilt to set the stage for the climactic events that will bring Jesus the Messiah back.

The return of the Israelites to the land and the rebirth of the state of Israel were the beginning of the prophetic signs that have come together into a precisely predicted scenario.

The beginning of the rebuilding of the Temple will be one of the final predicted signs that signal the Messiah’s coming is only a little more than seven years away. It will also mean that those who have come to a personal faith in Jesus Christ are about to blast off into another realm.
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=23868

That’s why these wackos are far more concerned with Israel than they are with the US. They don’t expect to be here much longer and they’re rushing to get to a window seat on Jesus’s rocketship.